The Farmer.

Thanks for the compliments fellas. I don't know how it turned out for you in person Terrawombat or 87 Warrior, but the pictures are deceiving. In person there is a lot of particulate in the paint that the camera doesn't grab, as well as runs around the brackets, mounts, and crannies. I guess for me, I got over the 'Nitpicky want it to look perfect' and accepted the fact that the product was just made to cover like a mother and protect. How did it turn out for you guys? Am I par for the course?

is POR 15 a rust inhibitor?

Not an inhibitor, but more of a protector:

www.por15.com

Looking good Rob, why would you not spray the POR-15 on ?

Ugh. You say this now... Haha. No, seriously, the thought had crossed my mind, but to be honest I didn't want to because of the risk of loss. The POR15 was about $150 a gallon IIRC, and I didn't want to waste it. I had read about it's leveling characteristics, and the ease of application with a brush so I went that route. I still think that while it was tedious, and a pain in the arse... I would have ended up with a mess because of all the nooks, crannies, and intricate angles on the frame, supports, and mounts. To try and spray into some of those areas without overapplying would be a bear.

Rob

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the compliments fellas. I don't know how it turned out for you in person Terrawombat or 87 Warrior, but the pictures are deceiving. In person there is a lot of particulate in the paint that the camera doesn't grab, as well as runs around the brackets, mounts, and crannies. I guess for me, I got over the 'Nitpicky want it to look perfect' and accepted the fact that the product was just made to cover like a mother and protect. How did it turn out for you guys? Am I par for the course?

My experience was about the same, but I didn't follow the directions and went for the "slap it on" approach that you did towards the end. I felt that the appearance was much better when you laid it on heavy so I just stuck with that method. I tried to smooth out the runs as best I could, but like you said, you get buildup around brackets, corners, etc. I also see that you went with the sponge brush as opposed to a traditional bristle. I tried both methods and the sponge produced more runs than the bristle mainly because when I would go back over an area to smooth it out, the sponge still had paint hidden that would come pouring out, thus taking me right back to where I started. It was a lot easier to smooth out the runs with a bristle brush, but then I had to stop and pick out the bristles every time they fell out. Like you, I eventually gave up on the "want it to look perfect" and just coated the truck.

Ugh. You say this now... Haha. No, seriously, the thought had crossed my mind, but to be honest I didn't want to because of the risk of loss. The POR15 was about $150 a gallon IIRC, and I didn't want to waste it. I had read about it's leveling characteristics, and the ease of application with a brush so I went that route. I still think that while it was tedious, and a pain in the arse... I would have ended up with a mess because of all the nooks, crannies, and intricate angles on the frame, supports, and mounts. To try and spray into some of those areas without overapplying would be a bear.

If you're not experienced with spray-guns in terms of thinning out paints and setting the gun up for a correct spray pattern, POR-15 isn't the paint to start on. This stuff is VERY thick and it tends to want to "spit" rather than spray no matter what I did when I tried to spray it. Like Rob said, it's EXPENSIVE and you do not want this stuff oversprayed in your garage.

Huzzah! POR15-ing is done!!!

Started on finishing up the rear of the frame today. A friend stopped by, and we had the rear of the frame knocked out in about 4 hours with 2 coats. It looks good, but I am getting some fisheyes in the paint because of something it doesn't like in a few spots. I'll wait until tomorrow to see how bad it really turns out. All I saw was on the top, so the bed would cover it anyway. Overall, I think to do as much as I did, I used about a half gallon of POR15.

Pics!

Tried getting a pic of what was left of the paint... About half.

Some of the small fisheyes, the big ones are just spotwelds.

Finished product.

As soon as I get the chance, I am rolling this motha outside to get some overall shots. I can't wait to see it outside in the light.

Rob :cheers:

Got to play with some body panels today. My boss (Bill) asked yesterday what I had going on, so I made plans to be over at 9.

I knew I was going to do away with the towing mirrors, but that meant we had to do something with the holes left in their wake. That, and the inner door support for them...

Waaaay back when I had talked to my boss about them, I remember him thinking we should pull them out because if we pulled out the hardware and just tacked it all in place, he didn't want the stress to end up cracking any filler if the door was stiff right there. We were still in the air as to what to do, so we were going to just cross that road when we got there. Well, we got there. A couple weeks ago after I dropped the doors off, he told me that he had made the executive decision to exnay the supports and just plate the holes. Done. He wanted me to be the one to weld up the holes, so today we did just that.

After some messing around with an old fender and some holes to get the welder set where I wanted it, we made up some patch panels, and hit it with weld through primer.

And got to work.

Then ground off the excess.

I didn't grab any shots of the finished product, but it didn't look half bad. Once we had it ground down and looking good, He started to work with the flat of the door and noticed that either from removing the support, or the heat of the welds, there was a decent low spot that would flex, right under the lower mirror mount and down to the first body line. Crap. Without the support, it would just rest in the low spot, and would move a ton. We had already welded up the holes too.

We test fit the braces back in there to see if they would help... They did. With no holes to mount them to, we considered tack welding them on, but didn't want the couple or so tacks we could pull off inside the door skin to pull in over time and make a divot on the outside. We then thought of body adhesive. We could use some body adhesive to glue the support back in. After a quick run to the next town we had some stuff to work with. Pretty neat actually. A two parter with the mixing tip... Had glass beads impregnated into it so you couldn't over clamp it. Pretty slick idea. Not only would it not pull like a weld, but we could slather a nice amount on the back of the already welded in plates, and put the pressure right on the re-enforced area. Might help keep the skin from flapping like it was made of paper.

With the adhesive and the supports back in place, there was really nothing more we could do for the rest of the day. We got the tailgate up, stripped off the decals, and removed the hardware.

Sorry for the lack of pics guys, I didn't get a ton of opportunities to take the phone out. Bill's wife was out and she took a few pics for us. I'll post them up when I see them.

Rob

I don't have any huge updates here so much as I have some more pics. With the holiday, Bill was out of town, but his wife sent me the pics from when we were working on the doors/fenders.

I also got a chance to move the truck out into the sunlight for the first time since doing the frame.

Getting dusty already... Shouldn't have been grinding on the XJ hitch with the garage door open.

• 4 weeks later...

Er, there have been some interesting developments with the exterior scheme I was shooting for. May be jumping classifications here. I've had some inspiration from inside the group here, and I just can't shake it.

More details to come when I chase down some stuff.

Rob

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Well. Well. Well.

How was this for dramatic suspense!?

I have been working on this thing here and there... But haven't been posting much. After FB changed all the picture addresses a couple years ago, it felt like a lost cause. Any progress would be overshadowed by the complete lack of photos up to the current point. All seemed lost. I've been continually posting pics up on FB, just doing some things here and there. I took a pretty big leap this weekend, and Neohic noticed the pics. While we were texting, he asked about if I was going to bring this puppy back from the dead. I said probably not. This was not satisfactory for Ben. I finished what I was doing, and called it a night.

Late, late last night, I got a message. It was Ben. He created a Photo Bucket account in my name. Then he took all the photos from my Farmer album, transferred them to PB... Once that was done, he went through the entire thread using his editing moderator powers and fixed all the pictures to date. So that brings me here... Without excuses. I have to really, really thank Ben for doing this.

post-28617-Big-Lebowski-THANK-YOU-gif-Im

And without further adieu... Time to play some catch up. Let's kick it off with the next post.

In my last post, I talked about a classification change. What I was after is that after some thought... A white longbed is quite a bit well... Long. And white. And long. Something needs to be done to sort of break up the white. I saw some white MJ Chiefs that really spoke to me.

Now, we all know that those were SWB only. But who's going to know but us MJ guys? Right? So I went about scouring all my old parts manuals, and putting the phone to use. After some emails, I tracked down some of the last remaining pieces of Chief decals. This was all I could come up with, other stuff is not available, or not in the network list of dealers.

The way I look at it, with the header panel stripe, the left hood stripe, and a piece of the lower fender stripe, I should be able to get some new stuff made. I can mirror the hood stripe for the other side, re-create the header panel one, and have a decal guy make a roll of the lower body striping. I can't find anything on the window black frame strips, or the lower doors. A fellow MJ clubber came through huge on that one though. He had listed a factory NOS rear bumper, and some chief parts. We nailed down a price on the bumper, and I asked about the door and how attached he was. He wasn't, and they already had some rust. For a little extra dough, he lopped off the lower section of the door so I could make stencils and have those redone. Super.

He even included a little something extra.

Rob

While all of this was going on, some primer was put on the doors and fenders. My supervisor was still in on all of this, and still is. I have MJ parts strewn about his garage still. These are the pics from that.

Supervisor doing his thing:

Me getting in on the action.

The hood ended up being a little weird. There were multiple layers of paint and weirdness, so this was the extent of what we did to it. We needed to strip it clean to make sure that the new paint wouldn't be affected by the old paint, so I had it soda blasted and he prepped it on his own. Pics of that to come. I also had them blast some axles at the same time.

When I had the truck blasted, I left the bed behind. Not wanting it to look weird when looking at that nice black frame and a crusty unfinished bed, I made some moves.

I picked up a HF sand blaster and was completely impressed with how well it worked. It made short work of it.

Then the bed got tossed back on and put back for a couple weeks. Ah the joys of having a 2 car garage and no work space.

A few weeks later, truck out, bed in, and standing at attention for detail.

More POR!

This underhood light I got from the Matco guy at work kicks some serious arse. One of the best purchases I've made, seeing as I am always working outside, or in the (used to be) dimly lit garage.

... I got a message. It was Ben. He created a Photo Bucket account in my name...

Yeah... it's pretty easy to be a creep online. I took it upon myself to spice up your credit score also by opening a few credit card accounts and then used them to put a down payment on a lake shore cabin. Think of it as an investment property.  :thumbsup:

While on hiatus, I spent some time on Rock Auto getting essentials... Brakes, seals, gaskets...

After not doing anything about it when I POR'ed the axles, I took care of the dimples in the knuckles from the brake pads grinding around...

Also hit the strikers where the plates were tearing out.

Oh yeah... While on that ordering spree, I picked up a ton of hardware, fasteners, and body hardware to prevent the "Can't do this until I get one of these" problems and hold ups. www.bodysupplyco.com has some great assortments at great prices.

A few weeks later, back into the daylight for jamb spraying of color.

Hit the hinges with some primer.

Ground down the welds from the striker fix and primered.

Test fitting some panels.

Back off and my super in action putting some color on it for the first time!

There is that crisp, cool white I was after.

He had jamb sprayed the fenders and the doors for me, so I put them on again, so I wouldn't damage them kicking around...

And back into hibernation.