The Farmer.

Thanks for the comments guys. Dunno why my garage is something to be envied... Its pretty small. As for the toolbox, she's my baby. I love my tools. Afterall, we would be useless without wrenches, sockets, pliers, and other things to get us through the day. The toolbox is from when I worked for Ford and had my own box/tools. Now that I work for the city, they supply a box and tools for use... That means my baby got to come home. :D

Its a Matco Box, and I love it. I picked it up for $3300 before trade back in '05. Then I still had to fill it with tools.

I keep it waxed about once a year, and keep it covered with the custom cover if I am doing something with a bunch of dust or not using it for awhile.

33736_152881041416058_100000824882082_232901_6393916_n.jpg

And the most impressive drawer, usually gets ooh's and aah's from guys who stop by...

65826_152880974749398_100000824882082_232900_8126093_n.jpg

I even have a few socket trays out and about, and some sockets out, so thats even a bit empty.

Oh, and this is another lifesaver:

44269_152880838082745_100000824882082_232898_6829951_n.jpg

Its great to use the cart when working in the driveway. I can throw a tray of sockets in along with the tools I'll need, and just wheel it out.

No progress this week. Been busy getting a shed. More updates as I go.

Rob L.

OMG I'm jealous of your tool box!!

Considering I don't even have one, I just steal my BFs tools.

But really, I wanted to get a Matco.

BF's tools? What a drag dude.

But seriously, a nice set of tools is a great thing to have. Can't tell you how irritating it is to go to a friends house, and his stuff is mismatched and Chinese. Great investment if you want to get into the hobby/career. If you have his though, I assume you don't need to grab your own. But I am sure he won't mind getting tools that you want on his side of the tree for Christmas.

Rob L.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="automan2164"

BF? What a drag dude.

But seriously' date=' a nice set of tools is a great thing to have. Can't tell you how irritating it is to go to a friends house, and his stuff is mismatched and Chinese. Great investment if you want to get into the hobby/career.

Rob L.[/quote]

hey, what's wrong with my tools?

Thanks for the comments guys. Dunno why my garage is something to be envied... Its pretty small. As for the toolbox, she's my baby. I love my tools. Afterall, we would be useless without wrenches, sockets, pliers, and other things to get us through the day. The toolbox is from when I worked for Ford and had my own box/tools. Now that I work for the city, they supply a box and tools for use... That means my baby got to come home. :D

Its a Matco Box, and I love it. I picked it up for $3300 before trade back in '05. Then I still had to fill it with tools.

I keep it waxed about once a year, and keep it covered with the custom cover if I am doing something with a bunch of dust or not using it for awhile.

33736_152881041416058_100000824882082_232901_6393916_n.jpg

And the most impressive drawer, usually gets ooh's and aah's from guys who stop by...

65826_152880974749398_100000824882082_232900_8126093_n.jpg

I even have a few socket trays out and about, and some sockets out, so thats even a bit empty.

Oh, and this is another lifesaver:

44269_152880838082745_100000824882082_232898_6829951_n.jpg

Its great to use the cart when working in the driveway. I can throw a tray of sockets in along with the tools I'll need, and just wheel it out.

No progress this week. Been busy getting a shed. More updates as I go.

Rob L.

OMG I'm jealous of your tool box!!

Considering I don't even have one, I just steal my BFs tools.

But really, I wanted to get a Matco.

BF's tools? What a drag dude.

But seriously, a nice set of tools is a great thing to have. Can't tell you how irritating it is to go to a friends house, and his stuff is mismatched and Chinese. Great investment if you want to get into the hobby/career. If you have his though, I assume you don't need to grab your own. But I am sure he won't mind getting tools that you want on his side of the tree for Christmas.

Rob L.

Awh I'm sorry, but yes a BF, for over a year. I blame him for my obsession with anything Jeep.

Anyways, I would like to get a set of my own so I don't have to continue to steal them. I love workin on my MJ although I'm still learning.

-Jamie

• 3 months later...

It's been quietly waiting all winter to get back under the spotlight. I'm in the process of shaking all the winter projects out of the garage, and making room for it. Time to pull it in, and start prepping for paint.

200247_189855531051942_100000824882082_412923_7914831_n.jpg

Soon grasshoppa. Soon.

Rob L. 8)

Wow Rob, you have done some intense prep, it will look great. Glad to see you are finally thawing out in the north. Are you staying with white? If I missed it, sorry. Can't wait to see more progress, but I'm sure you're anxious too!

• 4 weeks later...

Not much to update here, been busy with life, but I had a chance to get out to a new yard today. I knew they had one '87 MJ but didn't even think about what an '87 MJ has the potential to have until I got there and found it:

A black interior. With the cloth checker bench I have been dieing to find. $150 later, I had the bench, and all MJ specific black interior stuff.

Casualty of war:

Now I have the option of Buckets with the center console, or a bench with the mini. As I plan to have this truck for a long time, it will be nice to have options.

I should be tearing into this one soon, as the weather is getting nicer, and I am itching to start with the bodywork.

Rob :cheers:

Let me get the black vinyl bench you are hoarding!

If you want it that bad... Its not in very good condition... Big tear at the creases under the drivers butt. I would have grabbed the header panel off that MJ for ya, but the DS damage just nicked it.

Rob :dunno:

Thanks for looking out for me brother.

I got a header today. Now I need to find the chrome strip that is in good shape. The one I got was dinged but it was $10 so that's cool I guess.

Now if you can get me that black dash I would be in heaven!

Thanks for looking out for me brother.

I got a header today. Now I need to find the chrome strip that is in good shape. The one I got was dinged but it was $10 so that's cool I guess.

Now if you can get me that black dash I would be in heaven!

Neohic already contacted me on it, and since he pulled a whole black XJ interior for me, I kinda owe him a solid. I guess spending all the time with the black stuff he pulled for me grew on him. Plus, he fell into a couple black buckets. Pat has already called about any extra trim pieces... Black interiors to Mj'ers seem to be like crack to the projects.

I'd be happy to offer up any extras, and you guys will be the first to know when I do. Still interested in the vinyl bench?

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

I've been planning on blasting and prepping the frame for chassis paint, but recently tossed around getting the whole darn thing soda blasted. I called a semi-local guy, who has a two man operation. He quoted me high at around $1000-1200 to do the whole thing. Being a bit more than I was willing to spend, I asked about just doing the Engine bay, undercarriage, and frame rails. He said that should be able to be done with just sand, and that it wouldn't take long at all. He said it would be $300 on the top end. I'll ask about doing the cab floor and bottom edges of the doors too. He should make short work of that.

Sold. With living in a subdivision, I planned on doing it in the side yard, and making a mess. That's cheap enough, I'll have no mess at my house, and it will be a nice professional job. I don't even think I'll give this a second thought.

He's not mobile, but I plan on towing it over to his shop to have him prep it for me. After that, I plan on following the same steps 87Warrior did on his frame with the POR 15 and Chassis coat. Swap meet is coming up, and they usually have decent prices on POR 15 stuff there... I should be able to load up.

I want to do the whole engine bay, hood included, inner fenders, cab floor, under cab, and the rear rails. It should look awesome.

My boss is getting pumped about painting it, and is sort of making it a point to get it done. It's been a long time since he's done a job like this, and wants to use this as a platform to show everyone he's still got it.

And, since everyone likes pics: The Cover is Off.

Stay tuned.
Rob L. :thumbsup:

I know this will upset a few guys who are looking for this... But... Called on an '86 that was destined for the crusher, and found it at the recycling plant, awaiting certain death. It was one of 4 cars, and was supposed to be crushed until I called on it. Its most likely gone by now.

Anyway... We all know what the draw of an '86 might be. '86 Badges, interior lights, tails, AMC 20... and of course, the ever searched for black interior.

Well, I did it again.

The seat, although black, was horrid. The back was all torn up, there were holes all over the bottom near the back, and it was so soiled in the middle you couldn't see the pattern. Add a timeline until they closed, I had to leave it behind. Dash was cracked over the cluster. The tails were both destroyed, but I grabbed the lesser of the two for the couch. Got all the black MJ stuff, interior lights, seatbelts, and ran out of time. The badges were already gone.

I also picked up a woodgrain bezel and the upper door panels to match out of another JY just to have them, they were only $11 for the set. Keep my options open for when I get finished... Maybe the black with the darker '94 Country woodgrain might fancy it up a bit if I ever get bored. Might sell it too if I need the coin.

Rob

• 1 month later...

Busy, busy, busy. I have a chance to finally start cranking on this thing, and want to ask the advice of the Farmer followers.

The Farmer came with the optional towing mirrors, which comes with extra supports in the doors for the mirrors. I'm planning on losing the towing mirrors, so I need to deal with the holes/supports. Question: When I weld the holes up on the door, should I pull the supports out and fill the holes? It comes out with a few bolts, but I was thinking of just leaving in there for rigidity... Pics:

If I were to leave them in, I think I would just grind off the rivet heads, and do small tacks over time to keep the heat from warping the flat of the door. I'd probably just leave it bolted to the bottom of the door the way it is.

What do y'all think? Pull them and weld the holes? Or weld it all together to the door skin?

Rob :dunno:

weld it to the door skin.

low heat, small tac welds. wire brush the crap out of it first.

remember, you won't warp it too bad that way, and the whole thing is being painted.

btw...my neighbor said he'd paint the whole thing for $500, if it comes to him stripped.

Pull them and weld the holes shut. Then re-install them. This leaves the options open for you in the future. If you need to remove them after you have painted them for whatever reason, you can easily remove them. Say you need to change out the window regulator or something, they are probably currently removable because they need to be removable to remove something else.

This also lets you paint the inside of the door skin and keeps the amounts of potentially unpainted steel down to a minimum.

I think I talked to you about how to weld on sheet-metal. Use a piece of thick flat copper (you can rig some magnet and spring thing up to hold it to the panel while you weld). Weld into the copper and the steel will come out flat because it won't stick to the copper. The thicker the copper, the better. It works as a heat sink for you. Keep WET a cloth handy to quench the steel as you go. Keep the heat out of it and it won't warp for you.

• 6 months later...