The Farmer.

Over it. Probably have 4-5 hours worth of detail work to get it to where I want it with the air grinder and flap discs. It's not the open stuff that's troubling me, just the pesky stuff in the corners I have to really get creative with. I'll see about bringing the small sandblaster home from work tomorrow and see what that does. I'm already not going to make my weekend goal.

Rob

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ugh. Bought the stuff to clean up the frame where need be today at harbor. Picked up some flap wheels, rollock discs, foam brushes for the POR15, paint cups, moving blankets for moving the painted parts around, tarps to protect the garage floor... etc. I got the flap wheel mounted up and started going to town. It does a great job and makes really short work of the missed spots, but it was just on the edge of dark, my garage lighting sucks... And everywhere I went on the creeper, I managed to get caught up on the cord for the grinder, or the drop light... Anger ensued. I needed to walk away. I will continue tomorrow.

Rob

I feel your pain!... Going through the same thing here. Good news is your truck is looking great. Are you going with the Chassis Coat over the POR-15 as well?

If you're going through this much trouble then I would highly recommend going over the POR-15 with Chassis Coat. The POR-15 will look like garbage in about a year and you'll be kicking yourself for not going over it. I put PO-15 on the frame of a YJ and assumed it would be shaded from UV with the body on top. Nope - about a year of daily driving and the whole frame turned chalky. Doesn't affect the rust preventative properties, but it looked like crap.

Anything over the POR15 will protect it from UV damage. If you don't want to do the Chassis Coat, spray bombing it with Rustoleum will work just dandy. My bodyshop guy advised against under coating as it doesn't add any protection to the POR15 and is spendy to apply.

Got the sand blaster from work today.

Holy blessed mother of sand.

It has been awhile since I actually went that hot and heavy into sandblasting... Wow. I got everything out and setup, and loaded it down. Rolled the truck out to the end of the driveway and went to town. Took me about an hour and a half to burn through 100 lbs of sand and a ceramic tip, but I like the progress I made. I was getting way too close to blowing out the ceramic, so I had to call it a night, but I picked up another 100 lbs of sand and will pick up another nozzle tomorrow. I should be able to finish up what I cut short tonight tomorrow.

Until then, I have to get the 25 lbs of sand off in the shower. Yowza.

My boss broke down because he was bored this Saturday and had the house to himself, so he said he pretty much got the fenders, header panel, and tailgate ready for paint. He was about to move the bed in and start on that. It sucks that he's doing all that prep without me, but it's good to know it's going good. I will have plenty of time to learn when it comes to the cab and the rest of it.

Rob :cheers:

Finally got a break in the weather today and finished up the detail blasting. All that was left was more or less some thick stuff here and there, and the real stubborn stuff. Boss gave me the idea to heat it with a torch and then hit it. Worked like a charm.

Little blaster I borrowed from work. Actually worked great for touchups. I'd have been there for ages had I tried using that to do the whole thing though.

Hopefully, I can start the POR15 process this weekend. I can't wait to start laying down some paint...

Rob :cheers:

The weekend is almost upon us!

Today I came home from work and got right back into work. I rolled the truck back outside, got my Marine Clean and Metal Ready out, and gloved up. Both products are said to work better with warmth and warm water, so I had to run the hose into the house down into the utility sink for the good stuff. The Marine Clean came with a 1:1 recommendation. I bought the POR15, MC, and MR all as a kit, and had a couple nice spray bottles tossed in. The MC is a water based cleaner, but boy was it ever strong. Cut with hot water, I started spraying just in time for my neighbor to wander over and take a few pics for me. Excuse some of the faces I had, I would catch a good whiff of it every once and awhile and go into a coughing fit. Resperator-shmesmerator.

One of the biggest saving graces of this had been these sprayers. The spray off these things was unreal. So much coverage and a nice application with each pull. So glad he tossed them in.

Marine Clean soaking in and working its magic.

The Metal Ready is an etching chemical with a rust converter that leaves a zinc phosphate to stop rust and help the POR15 adhere better. It was a really cool blue, and was applied full strength. While the cut sheet recommended 65-90 degrees for optimal etching, I just went with what I could - 40-50 degrees, and a warm frame from the hot water. At a minimum, they want it soaking for 30 minutes. Away I went.

At the end of my time limit, it was time to rinse it off thoroughly. Out came the hot water. Man it gets dark quick now.

Before calling it a night, I vacuumed out the puddles in the cab, hit the frame with an air hose to get rid of the bulk of the moisture, and stuffed it back into the garage. I set up a couple fans, one facing the engine compartment, and one in the cab to get the air moving so that it will be dry for Saturday. Assuming all goes well, I'll be ready to go Saturday, and just have to do a quick wipe with a dry towel to make sure it's as ready to go as I am. I might end up putting a heater in there tomorrow after work to speed the process up.

Rob

Not sure if this will be your first time working with POR-15, but you'll basically want to wear a full body suit when using that stuff...or at least clothes you really don't care about.

Of the half dozen times or so I've used POR-15, it always happens to fall on a day or two before I have to do something important. I had black paint all over my hands for an international symposium that I was giving a presentation at, which had lots of reps from the big US automakers - just had to keep my hands hidden behind the podium. Another time was right before a job interview. Come to think of it, I was offered a job both times my hands had streaks of POR-15 caked on them...maybe it's a good thing?

That stuff will stay on your hands for up to a week and even longer if you get it stuck in your arm hairs. The best method of removing it is sitting in the shower until your hands get pruned and then plucking the pieces off one by one.

hey automan, totally off topic. but I just realized you live down in harvard, IL. I have a friend from the vw community that lives there also, he drives a red new beetle with chicago blackhawks (or whatever the hockey team is) plates and some blackhawks hates in the rear window. I'm sure you havent seen it around as the city is decently sized. I just thought I'd share that bit o' info with ya, and heck, maybe I'll see ya when I am down there sometime.

Break update. 6 hours in, and I have the cab floor done with 2 coats, the engine compartment done with 2 coats, and I am starting on the fender wells next. It's tough keeping runs out of the paint, and they are everywhere. The second coat is even worse, as it dries exactly like it's applied. It's tough making out where the second coat is on and where it's not. Basically just slapping another layer on in the open spots.

All that is left is both wheel wells, underside of the cab, underside of the engine compartment, the rear frame, and any touch ups. All with 2 coats. I am going to assume another 12 hours.

Back to the garage!

x-all-the-things-template.jpg

Rob

Whew. Had to call it a night. So far, everything to the back of the cab is done. My arms are covered and spotty, managed to get some on my shoulder, my side, and a ton on the garage floor. So much for the tarps on the floor, I just sort of dove into it and said the heck with the tarps. POR15 applies a lot like a heavy oil based paint. Ben, I want to keep the engine bay black.

I started out by doing the inside of the cab to get me acclimated to the application process while I could still do it upright. I picked up a lot of the tricks from 87warrior, but still had a POR15 learning curve. I've never used it before. When I started applying it, I pretty much followed the directions to a t. Light coat to start, followed by another coat after it was dry, but still had a slight finger drag. It just didn't look right, the finish didn't look as good as I would have hoped. Keeping on, I finished up the interior, and moved onto the engine compartment. Once I got in there, same issue. Continuing forward, I finished up the rest of the engine bay. Now getting later at night, and running low on the paint in the cup I figured I would just call it a night when the cup was done. I started to get tired, and just started to try and hurry the end along. I was on the drivers fender well when I decided to just start slapping it on. That's when I noticed it. With a somewhat liberal application, other than the drips I would have had anyway, it smoothed out a lot better with a heavy coat. Almost slathering it on rather than painting. A quick message to 87warrior confirmed his method was similar.

There may be some spotty places in the engine compartment that will really cry out in the sunlight that I can't see now I am sure. The lighting in my garage is less than desirable, so I can't get a good gauge on my coat in all the nooks and crannies. I hope I can get away with some touch ups if need be. The engine compartment will be what gets looked at a lot, so I want it to at least be presentable.

Progress pics up to this point. I like pics, and I know you guys like pics, so I had the roomie and the GF take many.

After hours and hours in a poorly ventilated garage, mainly because I wanted to maintain temp and humidity... You get a little nutty.

Image Not Found

I'll have to finish up the rest tomorrow after work. I can't tell you how happy I will be when this step is complete. It's not like I am mad I am doing it, or pissed off, but this is just one of those steps that is tedious and boring as all get out. I have to say that my main goal, which was not to end up with any POR15 on my money maker (face), was pretty successful. I did only have one scare, when I had a drop drip square on the middle of my forehead... but quick action and a cloth got rid of it. The rest of it on the rest of me... will be there until it wears off. Oh well.

Rob