junkyarding and pocket items

JeepcoMJ

what do you guys think of pocket items?

the term "pocket item" is used to loosely describe an item which fits in your pocket or article of clothing which you take knowing no one else will care.

I personally am a fan of them. mind you, i know all of the owners of my local junkyards and they'd rather that i don't bother them with small piddly parts. anyone else experience this? or is it another wisconsin thing?

"Wisconsin thing"? Is that what they call stealing out there?

I usually throw the small stuff into a can or jar, show it to the guy at the counter, and he tells me if he doesn't want to bother with it. Once in awhile he adds a buck or three, usually he says not to worry about it. But my conscience is clear that I didn't try to sneak anything out.

lol.

you misunderstand.

i'm talking like the oem jeep switches, an electrical connector, sunvisor tabs. the two yards i have done this at both owners are family friends and tell me not to even bother them with it because it's not even scrap value to them...they actually tell that to anyone they like :D

so i'm guessing that this would be classified as a wisconsin thing.

In Tn, we have a junkyard called Pull-a-Part and they search your tool box and anything else coming out of the yard. Also have a police officer on site. I have even had to pay for a Jeep emblem before. it was like 50 cents

they search our toolboxes too and usually make us empty pockets but usually it's not worth a dime to them so they let it pass.

nah I do it too.. I have a thing for fuses... I always come out the yard with a pocket full... My honey hole is a scrap metal yard that keeps all the cars/trucks in a separate yard and sell a few things then crushes them.. I love it the price of scrap is up,, everybody is throwing these trucks and cars away, and I'm there like Johnny Bench waiting to catch all the bounty!!!!!

I have a thing for fuses... I always come out the yard with a pocket full...

you would get reamed for that at a yard down here if they caught you. I pulled a dash harness a few weeks back and the girl at the counter started counting the relays and fuses to charge me. If it wasn't such a PITA to pull it, i would have left it right there at the counter and walked away.

Well here in good old califorina i got to pay 2$ to get in at the local pick-n-pull , and actualy most of the other yards ,so what ever fits in my pocket is already payed for in my book and the fact that i had to pay damn near 60$ for a pair of mj tail lenses last time i was there AND that was on half price day. so for me snaging the "what ever fits in my pocket" is ok and usualy that stuf is , like JeepcoMJ said it aint even worth scrap value to them. that and they usualy want an arm , a leg and ur first born for most junk there, o the price we pay for living in a rust free environment. and yes i sleep just fine at night

Well here in good old califorina i got to pay 2$ to get in at the local pick-n-pull , and actualy most of the other yards ,so what ever fits in my pocket is already payed for in my book and the fact that i had to pay damn near 60$ for a pair of mj tail lenses last time i was there AND that was on half price day. so for me snaging the "what ever fits in my pocket" is ok and usualy that stuf is , like JeepcoMJ said it aint even worth scrap value to them. that and they usualy want an arm , a leg and ur first born for most junk there, o the price we pay for living in a rust free environment. and yes i sleep just fine at night

I feel violated every time I leave the NorCal Pick and Pulls... I would rather buy new stuff and pay for shipping becuase much can be had for less than what the PnP here charges...not to mention the full cavity search they provide on the way our...

With that being said, I've come home with a few more screws that I paid for, but really nothing bigger than that.

I have a thing for fuses... I always come out the yard with a pocket full...

you would get reamed for that at a yard down here if they caught you. I pulled a dash harness a few weeks back and the girl at the counter started counting the relays and fuses to charge me. If it wasn't such a PITA to pull it, i would have left it right there at the counter and walked away.

That sucks... These guys don't really give a flip what you get,,, Its all according to what kinda mood the guys in really.. I've paid alot for something then d@mn near nothing for the about the same another day,,, but the good thing is the guy sees my face alot and is starting to recognize me, so the more I shot the poop the better the prices get... I think I'll take a small cooler full of beverages next time I go,, but I'd hate for them to expect it every time they see me walk in......

it does depend on the yard. That same yard that wanted to charge for the fuses and relays also wanted $9 for a fuel gauge. That i left behind. Some of the yards around here tack on a Environmental fee, usually a couple of bucks. And i don't even want to get started on some of the core deposit costs.

The best places to go down here are the cash only yards. One of them down here is literally named Steal-a-Part.

That sucks... These guys don't really give a flip what you get,,, Its all according to what kinda mood the guys in really.. I've paid alot for something then d@mn near nothing for the about the same another day,,, but the good thing is the guy sees my face alot and is starting to recognize me, so the more I shot the poop the better the prices get... I think I'll take a small cooler full of beverages next time I go,, but I'd hate for them to expect it every time they see me walk in......

thats how it was fer me when i lived in mooresville , i found a ramcharger there with some parts i needed (which is like finding a comanche in the j-yard here) talked to the guy and came to an agreement on the price but didnt have the money so i came back the next week and he wanted more than double and i told him that we already came to an agreement and he said "o ya iz pertie hamerd dat day but alrite" then we hung out and drank beer fer the rest of the day , i helped him with his car and it was all good after that :cheers: it sure is funny how different it is from coast to coast

thats how it was fer me when i lived in mooresville , i found a ramcharger there with some parts i needed (which is like finding a comanche in the j-yard here) talked to the guy and came to an agreement on the price but didnt have the money so i came back the next week and he wanted more than double and i told him that we already came to an agreement and he said "o ya iz pertie hamerd dat day but alrite" then we hung out and drank beer fer the rest of the day , i helped him with his car and it was all good after that :cheers: it sure is funny how different it is from coast to coast

lmao,,,, yelp that about sums it up,,,lol

lmao,,,, yelp that about sums it up,,,lol

good ole jamminz.gif North Kakalakie jamminz.gif

Ah junk yards. The key is if they know you. You have to earn your rights at a yard. Years ago when everyone was responsible for their action, JYs were a place to spend a day. As a kid dad was pulling some part and we were crawling over everything. No can do now. Anyway now you have to be a regular customer and prove that you know what you are doing. Lot harder these days since new parts are readily available and at good prices compared to some yard prices. The other big change is there are few Ma and Pa yards. Now they are big business and move the vehicles. They don't have trees growing out of them anymore.

What do you expect from guys that sit around all day (saturday) amongst old dirty stuff when someone comes in and wants a half of a seat belt. You are a bother and they need to show you who is in charge. Yes they don't make their money off the weekend pickers so you are not taking much from them, but remember it's their business and it does keep their old lady happy. But I must confess, I've taken wires, switches, small trim items, bolts, and screws because I need the factory look. To be fair just keep all the small things with the major item/s your are taking.

Those junk yard dogs aren't mean if you get them away from the gate. They will lean against the fence so you can scratch them.

Taking stuff you don't pay for is stealing. I guess it would be considered shop lifting or petty larceny. If for some reason these pocket items land you in court... you know why.

When I go to a pick-n-pull, there price list is posted.. so you know what you are getting. The local yard I frequent is only for items I can't get elsewhere (flat top knuckles, explorer rear disc parts), but I used to give him all my scrap cars.. so he gives me a good deal. I know he is trying to make a living, just like I am trying to save a buck. If he gives me some crazy price... I leave it behind.. then come back on another day when he needs less cash jamminz.gif

While we are at the junk yard, be considerate too. Close the doors, hood, window, etc. You may have gotten what you need, but the next guy may want something that hasn't been out in the weather. It's a sacred place, be respectful and let the vehicles rest in piece. Would you want your grave robber to pull your pockets out and leave your pants open? Kinda like stealing too since savagable items are no longer desireable.

While we are at the junk yard, be considerate too. Close the doors, hood, window, etc. You may have gotten what you need, but the next guy may want something that hasn't been out in the weather. It's a sacred place, be respectful and let the vehicles rest in piece. Would you want your grave robber to pull your pockets out and leave your pants open? Kinda like stealing too since savagable items are no longer desireable.

:agree:

and just because you need the window regulator doesn't mean you should shatter the window.

:agree: yeahthat.gif no kidding. i hate the baste!@s who bust out a windsheild or cut open seats or take the whole dash apart and throw it out side of the car. like no one else will be back after him. :headpop: :headpop: :headpop: makes me sick

i once caught a guy urinating in the valve cover of a straight 6. said he had to go. told him that i was going to pee in his valve cover on the way out. :beerhead:

lol.

you misunderstand.

i'm talking like the oem jeep switches, an electrical connector, sunvisor tabs. the two yards i have done this at both owners are family friends and tell me not to even bother them with it because it's not even scrap value to them...they actually tell that to anyone they like :D

so i'm guessing that this would be classified as a wisconsin thing.

If the yard owner tells you it's okay, then it's okay ... and it's a "that junkyard" thing.

Anywhere else it's stealing.

just like jaekl said.....

become a regular, be respectful, and don't try to haggle with them every time you go there. Take wheelbarrows/carts back to where you got them from initially. Don't try to sneak stuff past them, and pretty soon, they'll start no-charging you for the small stuff when you show it to them.

Jeff

Some junkyards really frusterate me. The listed price in the yard reads something like 'Rear axle assembly - $108'. So, you cut out the axle using your hacksaw since you aren't aloud 'real' tools. Then take it up front to pay. Then you learn that no, the pinion flange isn't included in that price, same with the wheel studs, brake calipers, dust shields, brake rotors and the diff cover. Oh, then they throw the $5 enviro fee at you (which I understand, but it should be upfront).

Not gonna be fair with me? I'm not gonna be fair with you.