junkyarding and pocket items

JeepcoMJ

Some junkyards really frusterate me. The listed price in the yard reads something like 'Rear axle assembly - $108'. So, you cut out the axle using your hacksaw since you aren't aloud 'real' tools. Then take it up front to pay. Then you learn that no, the pinion flange isn't included in that price, same with the wheel studs, brake calipers, dust shields, brake rotors and the diff cover. Oh, then they throw the $5 enviro fee at you (which I understand, but it should be upfront).

Not gonna be fair with me? I'm not gonna be fair with you.

Indeed, the Jeep yonkes around here suck bigtime. You always need to ask for every little detail before you start pulling, and the prices aren't particularly reasonable compared to other sources.

I'm still not going to steal from them though.

i had to start my own junk yard. toyota supra parts are just to hard to find. i always find myself going back there to get somthing i need. i just go out there and pick it up with the forklift. for me its just easier to buy the whole car and take it home and strip it. i havnt been to the junk yard in around four years.

I guess it helps to be a former employee of a particular yard that I go to first, folks aren't allowed to wander freely without the parts puller guys but on a good (and usually busy) day they will tell me where to look for what I need and off I go :brows: I'll show them the "extras" and most times it will only add a buck or two (if that). There has even been a few times where the pullers will hand me the bolts, a switch, etc. and tell me "here, you'll need this, put it in your pocket" jamminz.gif