Project -> "Super-W Deuce" - Still Alive and Kicking!

Next, I ordered some HiCountry Offroad Xtreme D-Ring Brackets ... They are sitting on my workbench, but once I get the smog and DMV stuff done I'll spend a couple hours installing these.

img5088.jpg

Well, I started looking at the Tow Hooks and while they seem to be pretty straight forward, my MJ doesn't have any of the 7/16" stock tow hook holes drilled in the frame that this thing is suppose to use. I don't really know how, without taking off the bumper, and fender and god knows what else how I'm suppose to get in there to drill new 7/16" holes for the through bolts.

Any Advice?

Nothing is ever as easy as I plan on it being...

Sw2

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you talkin' about the three holes on each of the triangular shaped pieces? Looks like those would line up with the bumper bracket holes to me...

Jeff

yeah...but then how would he use those inner braces?

I have zero idea how those things work...there isn't one hole on those brackets that I can line up with a visual image of any MJ or XJ I've ever worked on.

those look more like they're for a yj or tj or something of that nature...something with an actual frame.

They are the correct one's, we sell a decent amount of them.

Here is the best photo I have of them installed. 2 of the holes fit under the swaybar mount. The other 3 holes are further back. You can use the other "braces" on the opposite side of the frame rail.

Pass.%20Side%20Tow%20Hook%20Bracket%20installed.JPG

The only hole already drilled on mine is in the far back (left on your pic)... I don't think without significant 'take off', I'm have any chance of getting a drill in there to make the necessary holes...

Here is a bad Cell Phone Shot -> The Red Circles are where the Holes "Should" be...

photocd.jpg

Maybe a 90 degree drill would work borrow or rent one?

Or give me an excuse to buy one...

Would something like this drive a 7/16" Drill Bit through that frame, even assuming I can fit it in there? I have a bunch of 18V Dewalt Batteries/Chargers, so I like to get the Bare tools (this one is about $100 w/o Battery/Charger)

DCD690KL_1.jpg

They are the correct one's, we sell a decent amount of them.

Here is the best photo I have of them installed. 2 of the holes fit under the swaybar mount. The other 3 holes are further back. You can use the other "braces" on the opposite side of the frame rail.

Pass.%20Side%20Tow%20Hook%20Bracket%20installed.JPG

The only hole already drilled on mine is in the far back (left on your pic)... I don't think without significant 'take off', I'm have any chance of getting a drill in there to make the necessary holes...

Here is a bad Cell Phone Shot -> The Red Circles are where the Holes "Should" be...

photocd.jpg

A lot of the early XJs/MJs didn't come with those holes. They are there for the steering box for right hand drive models. Not sure when the holes became standard for all MJs/XJs. My '88 does not have the holes. My '94 and '98 XJs did have them. I haven't checked to see if they are there on the '91.

Those holes are also sleeved from the factory. Since you don't have those sleeves I wouldn't even consider using those brackets.

Willy

A lot of the early XJs/MJs didn't come with those holes. They are there for the steering box for right hand drive models. Not sure when the holes became standard for all MJs/XJs. My '88 does not have the holes. My '94 and '98 XJs did have them. I haven't checked to see if they are there on the '91.

Those holes are also sleeved from the factory. Since you don't have those sleeves I wouldn't even consider using those brackets.

Willy

How are the "OEM" Tow Hook Brackets connected? I can connect this one with the 1/2" hole in the back (which is there and sleeved) and the 2 bolts from under the frame at the swaybar mount. So I'd have 3 points of connection on the Pass Side, which isn't optimal, but if that's what the OEM brackets have, then I don't feel too bad.

On the Drivers side, it uses the 3 through bolts for the steering box plus the 2 for the swaybar mount (plus 2 extra's behind the mount on the lower side), so that side should be good and solid.

Wade

Willy

How are the "OEM" Tow Hook Brackets connected?

They use the three bumper bracket bolts as well as the large sleeved hole further back. There is also a bracket along the bottom. I'm not sure if that one bolts to the sway bar mounts or somewhere else. There may also be an angle bracket on the inside of the uniframe that sandwiches the sheet metal the front two bumper bracket bolts mount through. I know some of the aftermarket tow hook brackets include this, not sure about the stock brackets.

Willy

Got my D_ring Tow Mount point things installed. I still need to get a couple of the Pass side through bolts drilled/sleeved/instaleld, but they are both and the drivers side seem solid...

img5090q.jpg

img5092o.jpg

And I did end up taking the lower air dam plastic thing off and trimming the lower edge of my flares. It was pretty beat up anyhow... I think it looks OK...

img5098c.jpg

I also tossed a fresh coat of spray on my front axle, and am about 75% done reinstalling my interior (basically just the seats left to go back in. Also bent my Sway Bar disco Pin on the axle out a little bit so I can actually get the disco on and off without a BFH.

SW2

Just a personal preference...Not a fan of hooks... saw a cheap one snap and impale itself in the side of rig once a few years ago, scared the bejesus out of me and if it would have hit someone...well, that could have been the end of them...

Most of the guys I wheel with use the safety thimble on their winches (which is also what I have on my Winch on my TJ) and I'll probably only leave the d-rings on if/when I go wheeling. The two that I stuck on there for the pic live most of the time in my Recovery Bag that I take wheeling. I have another 4 that I leave on my TJ all the time (2 front and 2 rear).

Wade

I figured my interior may never look this clean again, so I better get some shots...

That's the original 20 year old carpet... I scrubbed the crap out of it, steamed it at home and then took it too the Car Wash Place (removed from MJ) and they cleaned some more. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out...

img5101h.jpg

img5103ag.jpg

img5102dl.jpg

And one of my Engine bay, just cause, and it looks pretty clean (any my newly painted Valve Cover)

img5105.jpg

I'm at the car wash now getting the MJ cleaned and after a good chunk of the year with no carpet, no center console, and only 1 bucket seat, I forgot how nice and "quiet" this thing can be (comparativly)...

I actually enjoyed the ride over here... I haven't enjoyed driving the MJ in a long time!

Wade

why the d-rings?

Ya don't need to worry/bother with your recovery gear slip'n off. I also prefer them.

X2 and they look why cooler. jamminz.gif :shake:

looking good man, yeah carpet cleans up good with a scrubbing and power washing, how $500MJ told me to do it and looked like new when done.