Project -> "Super-W Deuce" - Still Alive and Kicking!

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I swapped my Tranny Mount with a new one from RockAuto (about $20)... I still have "clunking" so need to continue to look at what that might be.

I used about a whole tube of 3M Seam Sealed on just about anywhere that I thought water might be coming from (Looks not so great in the Engine Bay), but So far I don't think I've had much water (and we've had some rain)... I need some more verification before I goto the trouble of reinstalling my interior (again).

Also, finally go my T-Case Skid Mounted. I didn't have any original mounting hardware, so I used some Nutserts that I sourced from the place that I buy all my TJ Armor from now (Savvy Off Road), and installed 2 in the Crossmember and one in the Frame and then mounted the T-Case Skid with some new Grade 8 Hardware... Something like this.

img55924909524.jpg

img55934913132.jpg

img55954920654.jpg

img55964924433.jpg

Started reinstalling my Interior.... Installed the 97 XJ Console that I got on my last trip to the JY a couple month ago before I had to strip in interior for the last round of leaks.

Not perfect, but looks pretty good I think, and I think has better cupholders than the Early XJ one that I had with the aftermarket cupholder (which I'm picky about, since I drink coffee every morning on the way to work)

img56549588626.jpg

img56539579606.jpg

Wade, looks great. Did you have to mod the center console much to fit?

Not a bit, I already had the little front heater airbox thing removed from under my dash, but otherwise no mods at all.. and there is a little gap up front that might be a good spot for a CB if I ever decide to add one. I took the big mounting bracket (that mounts under the console storage area) and screwed it into the back of the hump, screwed everything in and it seemed sturdy. There are only the 2 screws in back to that bracket and the one up by the T-Case Shifter holding it on. The one on the right side of the Stick didn't line up to anything. I could have bent a bracket to get screws in there, but it felt OK with out it, at least for now.

Wade

• 2 months later...

After a couple months in Hibernation, I decided it was time to stop by again...My MJ sounds pretty bad right now... I tried to take this video with my phone from the driver seat...it's kind of hard to hear, so you might have to turn it up. Not sure if that's just the lifters or lifters+exhaust manifold or what.

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/2420/file19484.mp4

Anyhow, I think it might be time to start thinking about an engine rebuild for serious. I have a friend that offered me one of his "extra" complete XJ engines to rebuild for giving him the tip a free MJ from my other thread. He's also the guy that gave me the HPD30 that I'm running on my TJ now.

He said he has an 88, 92, 93 sitting, basically complete that I could have any of if I wanted to do a rebuild/stroker for my 89 MJ... It would take me forever since I've never done a rebuild, but it sure takes the pressure off if it's an "extra" engine that I could get done and then do the swap (minimal downtime)...

I'm assuming the 88 would be the "easist" going Renix->Renix, but the 92/93 would be the HO's and likely better longterm... If I wanted to do the stroker route, would I want the 92/93???

Thoughts or Advice?

Sw2

SuperDub, IIRC on many of the stroker threads I've read, you'd be much better off going with the HO. It's not that you CAN'T do it with a Renix, but it doesn't leave you with many options for other mods or additional tuning, again, IIRC. Hornbrod obviously is a good source of info, and maybe go check out that stroker forum he is a member on too. I was planning to stroke my 88 one day too, but after reading all the Renix stroker posts I realized if I ever did it I needed to go with the HO. More work but worth it I think.

• 5 months later...

Well, I"m still on the lookout for a new motor for my MJ... I have a friend of a friend selling a rolled XJ with a bunch of stuff on it... I'm considering getting for the engine if I can convince another friend with an XJ to get the Lift and Axles and other stuff... If not I'd hope I could sell enough stuff off it to recoop some of the $$$

I know converting from my 89 Renix to the 91 HO might be a bit more work, but if I have the entire Rig, I should have the stuff I need hopefully.

1991 Jeep Cherokee long arm kit, Chromoly axles, Rebuilt motor and tranny

This is out of a 1991 Jeep Cherokee that I am parting out (rolled bad). 4.0L Rebuilt 1k miles agoe/ Auto Trans Rebuilt 1k miles ago/ 4.1 T-case, long arm kit, ss brake lines. skid plate, Chromoly axles front and rear, new drive shafts, Throttle body spacer. This Jeep Runs great and is complete so if you want to here it run you can. $2200 O.B.O or $2800 with new rims and tires(they still have the nipples on them) 315/70/17 pro comp. will Part out for the right price just call me and let me know what you need.

Well, I"m still on the lookout for a new motor for my MJ... I have a friend of a friend selling a rolled XJ with a bunch of stuff on it... I'm considering getting for the engine if I can convince another friend with an XJ to get the Lift and Axles and other stuff... If not I'd hope I could sell enough stuff off it to recoop some of the $$$

I know converting from my 89 Renix to the 91 HO might be a bit more work, but if I have the entire Rig, I should have the stuff I need hopefully.

This is out of a 1991 Jeep Cherokee that I am parting out (rolled bad). 4.0L Rebuilt 1k miles agoe/ Auto Trans Rebuilt 1k miles ago/ 4.1 T-case, long arm kit, ss brake lines. skid plate, Chromoly axles front and rear, new drive shafts, Throttle body spacer. This Jeep Runs great and is complete so if you want to here it run you can. $2200 O.B.O or $2800 with new rims and tires(they still have the nipples on them) 315/70/17 pro comp. will Part out for the right price just call me and let me know what you need.

Well, this is what the donor motor is coming out of.... my friend is taking the Lift/Rims/Tires/Axles/Driveshafts/T-Case and I'm taking the engine/tranny... I didn't hear it run, but was promised that if I ended up not using it, I'd get my $ back out of it. No paperwork on the rebuild, but since I feel comfortable with the money back guarantee from my friend, I guess it's OK.

2010-11-13_12-16-30_19.jpg

2010-11-13_12-16-48_964.jpg

Well, this is what the donor motor is coming out of.... my friend is taking the Lift/Rims/Tires/Axles/Driveshafts/T-Case and I'm taking the engine/tranny... I didn't hear it run, but was promised that if I ended up not using it, I'd get my $ back out of it. No paperwork on the rebuild, but since I feel comfortable with the money back guarantee from my friend, I guess it's OK.

2010-11-13_12-16-30_19.jpg

2010-11-13_12-16-48_964.jpg