Project -> "Super-W Deuce" - Still Alive and Kicking!

This has been a long time coming, and many of these pics were posted in other tech and pub threads, but I thought I would put together the entire "Project" thread... if nothing else, just so I remember what I've done to the MJ...

Here is the MJ as I bought it (in fact still in the seller's driveway) ... Craigslist - December 2007, Northern Cali

1989 MJ Pioneer, 4.0L, 4x4, 5 Spd, Rear D44 (stock w/ 3.07's), SWB, 205K Miles

xDO4iX2.jpg

OecElP4.jpg

NvPSfzk.jpg

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First thing I did when I brought it home was remove the front Tube Grill Push Bar Thing (still have it in the garage if anyone is interested)...

I moved the License Plate from the Home made bracket and onto a stock Licnese Plate frame...Removed the Steering wheel grip pad and cleaned everything up. I installed a Black Side view mirror on the Pass. Side to match the Driver side (and the chrome one was busted to crap anyhow).

Next was mostly interior stuff...

I got some stuff from JeepCoMJ (still waiting on a couple things... :roll: )

Replaced the jacked up Shifter Boot with a Mini-console, swapped out the Shifter Ball thing with a stock new one, and replaced the window cranks (since I busted one messing with the door panels).

BEFORE:

beforebu2.jpg

AFTER:

aftercq3.jpg

Added a couple dash switch panels (even though the switches aren't hooked up), added some trim pieces that were missing and installed a new Stereo and all 4 Speakers.... Sony Deck and Pioneer Speakers all around, nothing super, but it makes sound, and I can try to turn it up to cover the sound of my bad running engine.

I'm sure I'm missing something, but the next big thing I can think of right now just happened this past weekend... I removed the Pioneer Letting and Black/Grey Stripe and lower black molding (still need to clean the rest of the molding glue residue...)

Here is how the Truck sits as of a few minutes ago.

img0866ji0.jpg

Here is a big list of what I'd like to do...maybe over the next 12-24 months or so.

- Swap Rear Tube Bumper with something else (maybe a cheap stock black step bumper will fall into my lap until I decide what I want)

- New Front Bumper (I'd like something like my Hanson on my TJ, I just don't want to spend $800)

- Replace Rear White Tailgate with one less beat up

- Rhino/Line-X/Herc the Bed

- Engine Swap/Rebuild (Maybe Stroker?)/New Exhaust Manifold, maybe Catback Exhaust setup

- Install One Piece D30 Axles from my TJ and bypass the front Vacu-Disco (Have Axle Seal Leak anyhow, so this probably has to happen sooner rather than later)

- Install Rear Monroe Shocks

- Touch up all little Surface Rust Spots

- Install Black Drip-Rail on Drivers side (if I get the one I'm still looking to receive from a previous purchase)

Longer Term:

Lift (3"?)/Bigger Tires (31" maybe)/Re-Gear/Lockers, etc etc....Actually have a chance to Wheel it... I'd like to get it setup and be able to take both the TJ and the MJ out on some of my local 4x4Club runs...

Looks good without the stickers on it! Keep it up!

I like to SO much more... I have some "gunk" still remove, but I'm MUCH happier, especially after looking back at these old pics... nothing wrong, just not my deal... Looks very 1980's... which is was, but that was almost 20 years ago...

SW2

Hey man the white flares don't look that bad IMO...

I actually am thinking the same thing... was over on JeepForum in the Manche forum and there was some pics of a pure white 89 like mine (no lift,etc) and it had black flares, and I actually liked mine better...

SW2

They are right, though. All white with white flares does look good. Especially with the chrome rims.

At some point in the future I might paint mine, and I've been thinking about colors. Geo was white, and I repainted white (with black trim), F100 was blue and I painted white, Suburban is white (with black flares). I was trying to figure out what color to go besides white, but decided to go for the same look as yours: white, white flares, chrome wheels.

But that still won't happen until next year at the earliest.

Update...

While I didn't do the work myself, I had the One Piece Dana 30 Axle Shafts from my 99 TJ installed in my MJ... The axle seals (at least the driver side) was leaking pretty bad since I had pulled the shafts when I was doing my Ball Joints, so I went ahead and had my shop take care of the seals and do the One-Piece shaft conversion (that I already had the conversion kit for from http://www.justdifferentials.com/) at the same time.

http://www.madxj.com/MADXJ/technical/te ... dSeals.htm

My TJ D30 shafts had maybe 37K miles on them and figured it was worth the trouble to get the bigger u-joints than what the two piece MJ shafts had (not to mention 170K less miles).

While he had it on the lift, I went ahead and had him install the rear Monroe shocks (I had done the fronts when doing my ball joints), and he also tacked my muffler pipe (right behind the muffler) that was loose and rattling around and banging on the underside of my bed (the pipe had a kind of weird bend that makes me think that whomever did the work just found something that was for another truck and tried to make it fit.)

Ends up one of my Plug wires (didn't say which) had also wiggled loose (I hadn't had the hood up since doing my shocks)... amazing how much better the truck runs on 6 cylinders instead of 5... nutkick.gif

i want your push bar how much + shipping to 04920

Please and thank you :brows:

I will check, but I'd bet more than it's worth.... it weighs about 20-25 lbs...

I'll just give it to you for whatever it costs for me to have it boxed up and shipping...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Fixed some things with the door area... Added a new Door Dome Light Switch, Replaced the Door Catch and added a Door Panel Water Shield... also replaced a few or missing/broken plastic push pins that keep the door panel on the door.

I just realized that I forgot to reinstall the speaker, so I have to pop the panel off again... DOH!

Still have to add the Water Shield on the Passenger side, but will try to do that if I can get the kids down for a nap.

img1163ps7.jpg