Jeepco in trouble...RESCUED

beaterjeep

Well, as most of you know from my project pages on here, Jeepco was gonna be at my place today to help with wiring on Baby.

BAD NEWS!: An hour or so away from my place his tranny grenaded, and now he's stuck spending the night in a rest stop just off of the interstate for the night. He does however have a truck and trailer coming for him in the morning, but that's a long ways off.

He does have his laptop and cell phone with him, so he's contactable at least. We have been exchanging phone calls all day long so far, trying to find him a way back home. I came up empty handed at all attempts. I even went so far as to call a couple "friends" that I haven't talked to in roughly 5 years, to see if they could help.

I do have to thank Jeepco and Geonovast (both of them are excellent people and great friends to have) for trying to set me straight as I feel partially responsible for this happening so far from his home. It was bound to happen, but now because Jeepco is such a great friend and willing to help me out, he's stranded more than 3 ½ hours from home.

I don't know what much else to say in here other than he's gonna be needing a new tranny in the 3800, but the good news is that he's safe; a bit upset and down in the dumps that he couldn't help me out, and that the tranny went out again, but at least it wasn't worse.

Just got off the phone with him, and we've got a plan for when he gets it home. He's gonna end up with a spare, that should probably be strapped in the back of his truck along with all the tools to do the swap.

God knows he'll need it...

Good to hear he was rescued.

...kinda. To be more specific, he will be rescued. He's spending the night at the rest stop, and his brother and grandfather are getting him in the morning. He didn't want to leave his truck there overnight, since it would most likely be missing when they got there tomorrow.

sorry to read. wish i could help. I already had to save my mother from car problems today, her driver's door wouldn't close for her. Turn's out that the part of the hinge that keeps the door open blew apart. she said that the spring just flew out. so now i get to rig the thing so that the door will work fine. I hope that everything will go ok for jeepco.

Been there, done that. Being stranded at a truckstop overnight that is. Hopefully the one he's at has food and bathrooms. :D That one in Indiana at which I spent the last night of my out-west adventure was just a big parking lot on the side of the freeway. :(

Been there, done that. Being stranded at a truckstop overnight that is. Hopefully the one he's at has food and bathrooms. :D That one in Indiana at which I spent the last night of my out-west adventure was just a big parking lot on the side of the freeway. :(

Been there two :cry: When I got my Capri I flew to Tampa and picked it up and on the way back a relay went out at a gas station in south GA at 10pm on a Saturday :roll: Stuck in GA hours away from any large town with an Australia made car :mad: Had to wait till noon the next day to get someone to tow it up 75 to the first large town with a stealer that could get parts. Had to pay $125 cash up front and the stealer did not open till Monday and had have the wife wire $600 to them do to leaving the debit card at home :mad:

So I do know what it's like :chillin:

GOOD NEWS!: He's been picked up, loaded up, and on his way home. Just got off the phone with him and he is about half hour out from Geonovast's house right now to pick up a few things he needs to rebuild and build a couple trannys. After that, he will be on his way home, and starting the rebuild/build process.

I myself would like to thank all of you for your support and stories, they helped put my mind at ease through all this. I'm sure jeepco will be appreciative as well.

jamminz.gif :cheers: 8)

Thanks guys for all the support. pretty sure I blew the front lay shaft bearing on this one....just like the last one. all gears are dead (by dead i mean crunching/grinding/etc and not moving) except for 4th works just fine. 4th is the only gear not running through the lay shaft...it connects the input to the output in a 1 to 1 ratio.

anyways, on to rebuild a pair of trannies...thanks to geonovast for loaning me his gear puller. and I really do feel bad...wanted to get beaterjeep's truck done.

oh, this is a good point too! i'll do the rear main, and redo my exhaust manifolds too while i'm at it (add a second joint to them so i can actually drop the tranny and do UCA's without yanking the manifold gaskets out...)

good to hear his grandpa came through for him. i was unable to help, and felt bad about that. don't feel bad Joe, it wasn't your fault. but boy oh boy has he had bad luck lately with his truck. first him getting hit, then the rear end and now this. :eek:

haha. don't forget the frame break and dead mice on the heaterbox... :roll:

gah! :headpop:

so i'm working on the tranny(ies) here...gosh darnit. the 2wd 4 speed I have is in GREAT shape mechanically. but, the 4wd 5 speed that I blew up last summer/fall is pretty much junk. :cry:

i was going over it...i could have used everything on the main shaft, but there are some chips in a few gears, and warn down syncros in a few places. :eek:

after figuring out how to get the c-clips off with the improper tools (my father is now working at a truck company building "custom" trucks so he's got all his tools) I had to press everything apart...geonovast's puller was good for 5th gear and unfortunately not much more. :roll:

I got everything OFF the mainshaft (output shaft) for the 4wd tranny, both trannies are disassembled right now...i left the sliders in as i have no desire to mess with springs and balls and such. Now to press everything off the 2wd main shaft. then, I can clean the gears, select the best of them, and put them all back on the 4wd main shaft. jamminz.gif

once that's done, it's pretty much a cake-walk to get it back together. not too terrible. i just have to remember where about a gagillion parts go :brows:

oh. i'm doing this twice by the way...i have a box where two MORE ax5's are sitting apart in from a few other rebuilds we've done (dad's diesel, and what's left of my original 3800 2wd trans). once I pull the tranny from the 3800, i'll try and salvage 5th gear and the output shafts and get everything built up with good bearings and such. ;) 8)

silly question... but can you not put any other transmission behind it? seems like you would be able to get somethin shoehorned in there that might take a while to figure out or cost more but... pay off in its longevity?

glad to hear things are back to their usual suckage, and not out somewhere random stuck overnight suckage ;)

:cheers:

*shrug*

only other tranny worth putting in there IMO is the ax15. i'd need a dakota bellhousing though so that kinda scraps that idea.

most of the problem has been that all the trannies have been used trannies. this time, while yes it is still used, I will have it rebuilt with as good of parts as I can (I am replacing the part that i find typically goes wrong....front cross-shaft bearing)

I'm building this one, installing it in the truck, then building another one and building blockoff plates for it so it will stay in the back of my truck now, and be protected from the weather.