Mrsimon's First Mj Project (Tube Bed Page 7)

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sweet! Really wished we could have worked something out, but I understand.

Did you cut the rear quarters? Or were those rock customized?

Rob L.

lol, no, I cut them off. There is a lot of overhang back there and they were getting banged up.

Any more pictures besides this one?

DSC_1739.jpg

I was contemplating cutting mine off even with the lower body line like the SWB guys, but I have a cali truck in the midwest, and that rust free sheetmetal is going to take some balls to cut into. I like the cut you did because it still looks like its there, but is up out of the way.

Rob

• 3 weeks later...

I was up at the shop today and got some pics of the progress on my truck. They have the WJ steering & brake swap done and just need to hook up the ram and hydraulic lines. The tube bed looks amazing .... I can't wait to see it done.

IMG_0100.JPG

IMG_0101.JPG

IMG_0102.JPG

IMG_0103.JPG

IMG_0104.JPG

IMG_0105.JPG

IMG_0106.JPG

IMG_0107.JPG

IMG_0108.JPG

IMG_0109.JPG

did you make that crossmember? came out nice, like the removeable center section. running the soft lines thru a washer on the spring perches is geniouse :yes: does the hard line keep the soft line from "retracting-moving twoards the wheel) or is there an insert threaded into the washer that both hard/soft lines run thru?

edit: :doh: it started me on pg 6, and if i read i woulda seen that it was clayton. how does dropping the tranny go with a tranny skid and t-case skid welded to the center dropout section?? looks like no place to put a jack and support it

• 2 months later...

Truck should be coming home from the shop with its new bed, hydro-assist steering, and York OBA.

Here is a teaser pic that the shop sent me last week. They still need to put the outside panels on the bed along with the tailgate and a few other things.

Once its home, I have a decent list of things to do that include paint the cab, swap in bucket seats & center console, install stereo and speakers, and give it a good old fashion cleaning. Once I finish all that, dare I say it, the truck will be done.

IMAG0017.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some more pics of the bed.

It was made by FullCircle Performance & Offroad in Pottstown, PA. I can't say enough about how pleased I am with their work!!!! I highly recommend them for any and all fabrication work.

IMG_1657.JPG

IMG_1658.JPG

IMG_1659.JPG

IMG_1661.JPG

IMG_1662.JPG

IMG_1663.JPG

IMG_1664.JPG

Perfect great pics! I'm right on the norteastern corner border of PA,

About how much money would you say you dropped on having the bed built?

Thats kind of hard to answer. I also had them do hydro assist, WJ brake/knuckle swap, custom steering, York OBA, rockers, and a few other things .... and I had the bed powder coated .... and I had them do lots of little things like removable mudflaps, air fittings, LED lights etc etc etc. All that cost me a small fortune. Worth every penny in my opinion. Using a lot of aluminum also pushed the cost up, but the weight savings is really nice.

Now that he has the basic design template all figured out, I'd say a simple version of the bed would start around $1,000 and go up from there.

Great, thats what i was looking for a basic, approximate, estimate to start from. My pass side bedside has damage like a tree brach fell in it or something and it looks like tin foil once you crumple it up. I was dreading trying to find another bed until i found this and ive now been inspired! The functionality of it, the looks and the clearance and perfect.

Thanks and I'm sure ill have lots of questions for you once its time for me start on mine!

let me know and ill show you the trails up my way someday

• 2 years later...

Sooooo ... its been a while.

I noticed that all of the old picture links are broken ... sorry about that.  I hosted them through a service that isn't available anymore.

Here is a link to an album with most of my MJ pics.  Feel free to browse.  Its all here, from the day I brought it home in stock form, to the building of the custom bed.

https://plus.google.com/photos/114095976989588686155/albums/5619306565210348625

So how does the story end?  Well, I have two kids with a third on the way and I couldn't fit them all in the MJ, so I gave it to a friend.  Yes, you read that right.  No, I don't want to talk about it.  Man oh man do I miss that truck.  A lot.

But, I bought a nicely built XJ and have been having a blast wheeling with the kids and doing small upgrades to the Cherokee from time to time.

But I sooooooooo want another MJ.  And WHEN I find a rust free one, I'm going to do what I should have done with the first one ...... tear it down and restore it.  Clean, mild lift ... and keep it OFF THE TRAILS.  

I'm now a believer that XJs are for the trails and MJs are for the garage :D

Anyway, here is the XJ I'm wheeling now.  Hopefully I'll start a new MJ build thread soon.

IMG_2864.JPG

And just for kicks ... here is a progression of the old MJ.

The day I brought it home ... $500.

IMG_1327.jpg

3" and 31s.

IMG_1625.JPG

Spring over 5" and 33s.

photo.jpg

35s and the bed

IMG_1664.JPG

I will someday have to trade my dented bed for a tube bed.....I've looked at alot of pics and I think It's hard to make one that looks good on an MJ...... but I like what you've done.  I like that it has a "bedside".... I think that's important for our Trucks.... well done.