Mrsimon's First Mj Project (Tube Bed Page 7)

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of things arrived today!

Got the seat back from the upholstery shop. I think it turned out pretty good for a 21 year old bench seat.

IMG_1481.jpg

IMG_1482.jpg

Got most of the lift kit from Motion Off-road. Just waiting on the leafs, trac bar, and the brake lines. I also bought some center caps .... got six cause they were only $1.99 each!

IMG_1483.jpg

Lots of trim pieces that need to be cleaned.

IMG_1484.jpg

Carpet kit from JC whitney

IMG_1485.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey, I wanted to give an update on my project.

Well, nothing has changed :roll: Been realy busy! The only thing I've done to the Jeep is pull it in and out of the garage to get the mower out once a week.

Anyway, I'm going to work on the interior this weekend. I could REALLY use some tips on how to install the headliner I got from ebay. I haven't really looked at it, but I don't know how the darn thing is supposed to stay on the roof.

I did a search, but didn't find anything helpful.

My stock headliner was held in place with 4 pieces of velcro 2 on the front near the sun visors, 2 in the back above the rear window) and 2 metal clips, 1 above each door.

Then the sun visors and trim will also hold it in place when you reinstall them.

• 3 weeks later...

Did a little work on the MJ this past weekend.

Installed the headliner. It wasn't too bad, but I ended up with a few creases above the doors. I can live it. I used some high quality velcro on the front. The visors and clips helped hold it in a lot. I was missing one of the side clips. The back of the headliner sits nicely on the trim above the rear window.

I installed the JC Whitney carpet kit. It went ok, but there are lots of loose or "bubbly" areas. The kit wasn't molded at all ... just a big square piece of carpet. Heavy dudty floor mats and the bench seat cover almost all the carpet anyway .... overall I like it.

I re-installed the bench seat with the new fabric. It looks nice!!

I put all the trim back on and the thing looks respectable.

I'll take and post some pics tonight.

• 1 month later...

I dropped my Jeep off at Andy in PA's house this Saturday. He is putting on my lift and doing a lot of brake work for me. I'm really excited to see how it looks.

I forgot to look up directions to his house, but I knew the general area. I was worried about finding the right house, but as soon as I saw a house with a super built PURPLE XJ sitting next to a silver MJ on 33s ..... I knew I found the right place.

• 2 weeks later...
I dropped my Jeep off at Andy in PA's house this Saturday. He is putting on my lift and doing a lot of brake work for me. I'm really excited to see how it looks.

I forgot to look up directions to his house, but I knew the general area. I was worried about finding the right house, but as soon as I saw a house with a super built PURPLE XJ sitting next to a silver MJ on 33s ..... I knew I found the right place.

I look forward to seeing the results! ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I've got some updates. Recently I:

Installed a set of front tow hooks from C4x4

Got the interior back together

Put on new mirrors I picked up at the JY

Changed the water pump

Flushed the cooling system

Had Andy in PA put on my lift

Got the truck inspected

It is now officially in roadworthy condition. And I hope, offroad-worthy condition as well jamminz.gif I still want to paint it and change the gear lube.

Here are some pics of the progress:

As it sits now (well, it has the mirrors on now, but oh well)

1.jpg

The new headliner. Its nice, but wrinkled a bit by the edges.

2.jpg

The newly re-upholstered seat.

3.jpg

New coils, isolators, and shocks.

4.jpg

Do you think I needed a new water pump?

5.jpg

That pipe was a pain to get our of the old pump.

6.jpg

Always clean up the hardware!

7.jpg

Flushing the cooling system.

8.jpg

I need a bigger bucket.

9.jpg

Broke the fan shroud, fixed it with zip ties.

10.jpg

Had some help from my dad and my little girl .... who thinks shes a cow.

11.jpg

Mooo

12.jpg

LoL!!

My wife wasn't happy about us letting the little cow into the garage. She kept yelling, "Keep her clean, she has to wear that for trick-or-treating."

Yeah, I guess I stayed relatively clean on that one ..... thats not always the case jamminz.gif

How old is she? I'm guessing 2. I think I asked back right after you got the truck and posted pics of your tires and rims getting delivered, but I forgot.

I've got a 3yr old little girl that, well, of course is THE cutest thing ever put on the earth, but that little nugget you got there is awful high on the list! C-U-T-E cute!

She is 16 months. I set her in the passenger seat in the MJ and she loved it. Maybe some day she can drive it jamminz.gif

Oh, I and I forgot to mention that my brother helped out a bunch too. He was the one who suggested flushing out the cooling system .... good idea too, considering the coolant came out looking like used motor oil :eek:

• 4 weeks later...

I replaced those stupid towing mirrors with the normal little ones, but it left four holes in the door.

IMG_1760.jpg

I cleaned up the old bolts, put some RTV on the bolts and put them back in. Sanded and primed. I need to get around to painting this thing.

IMG_1761.jpg

And, I got some junkyard junk that might one day get patched into my heavily bondoed bed side.

IMG_1759.jpg

• 4 months later...

I've been busy with the MJ, so its time for an update. Also, I've been asking questions in other threads - it gets hard to track so I'll just use this thread for any questions related to my build.

Anyway, I pretty much spent my entire tax return on the MJ .... its my own little economic stimulus package. Here is what I ordered:

Front/rear bumpers and rock sliders from JCR

Rock Krawler adjustable UCAs

Used 4.5" coils

Rough Country lift shackles for the rear

Aussie for the front

First thing I did was install the rear shackles. I'm happy with them and the rear is at 4.5" now. Nice.

IMG_1831%20(800%20x%20600).jpg

Last night I tore the front end apart and put in the coil springs, the UCAs, and adjusted the LCAs. It was a chore, but fun. I had all four control arms off at once, so getting them all back on was a PITA. Once I put it back together, I had a handful of problems. I actually got almost 6" of lift - the coils are actually 5" coils and I forgot to remove my 1/2" spacer. And, the axle was too far back in the wheel wells. I didn't even bother to check castor and pinion angles - I knew I had to re-do everything.

So tonight, I tore it all back down, removed the coil spacers, and lengthened the LCAs. Things went better, and I like the height very much. But now the axle is too far forward. Apparently I lengthened the LCAs too much. And my pinion angle is way too steep. I should be able to shorten the LCAs and lengthen the UCAs to straighten it out. Here are some pics.

IMG_1842%20(800%20x%20600).jpg

IMG_1844%20(800%20x%20600).jpg

Now my shocks are too short - gonna have to get new ones. My last problem is that the front is too high relative to the back ..... soooooo, I decided to so SOA. I'm not gonna do the SOA with the D35, so I searched craigslist and bought a 29 spline 8.25 with my gearing for $40. And it came with a set of stock 97 XJ leafs .... not that I need them, but I think $40 for all that was a steal.

Thats it for now, but I've got a LOT to do before NACFEST in June. Stay tuned.

Inchitis....its a disease!!! 6", you really fell off the wagon hard, I love it!!! I want to check out the JCR rear bumper, do you have a pic handy? Leahs MJ is getting a winch/ front bumper before NAC-Fest, and MAYBE a rear bumper, but I gotta get the XJ done first. You may be able to get those shock extenders (an adapter that screws onto the stem at the top, and spaces the shock down approx. 2") and continue to use the front shocks you have. The rear shocks are a different story, but since your doing an SOA (gotta weld new shock mounts onto the axle anyway), you may be able to use what you have.

If you need any help with this let me know, I can run over and help.

A.

I don't have the bumpers yet .... they should arrive by the end of this week. They make them to order so its been three weeks .... a long wait, but hopefully worth it. I'll definately take pics and post them.

I thought about the shock extenders, but the current shocks won't even extend far enough to attach with the extra few inches of lift. They are just hanging there right now. Weird.

What else will I need for the SoA? Should I get new perches, or try and re-use the old ones? What about shock mounts - can I buy a set somewhere?

I don't have the bumpers yet .... they should arrive by the end of this week. They make them to order so its been three weeks .... a long wait, but hopefully worth it. I'll definately take pics and post them.

I thought about the shock extenders, but the current shocks won't even extend far enough to attach with the extra few inches of lift. They are just hanging there right now. Weird.

What else will I need for the SoA? Should I get new perches, or try and re-use the old ones? What about shock mounts - can I buy a set somewhere?

I am not sure what others have done, but I can show you what I did.

I got the Mountain Offroad spring perches. With using the factory springs, I wanted an anti-wrap-type of spring perch. These seem to work well for my needs, no spring wrap yet.

http://www.mountainoffroad.com/Catalog/ ... rdware.htm

I used some weld-on tabs I got from Rustys for the shock mounts. I think they were R-116's. Just make sure you get at least 3/16" thinkness, and make sure the hole is 1/2". Here is the link to the "tabs" page:

http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchant.m ... Code=BP-TB

It looks like Mountain Offroad also has the mounting tabs for the shock mounts:

http://www.mountainoffroad.com/Catalog/ ... y/tabs.htm

I then re-used the factory spring plate and cut the shock mount stem off of it.