Mrsimon's First Mj Project (Tube Bed Page 7)

I waged war at the junk yard this past weekend. After three hours of fighting underneath a 20 year old truck, this is what I hauled away.

IMG_1882%20(800%20x%20600).jpg

I'll clean them up and use them for the SOA ...... eventually.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was such a nice day, I decided to start on the sliders and bumpers.

IMG_1885.jpg

First, gave them two good coats with POR15 Metal Prep.

IMG_1887.jpg

Then two coats of POR15.

IMG_1890.jpg

I still have to hit them with some etching primer, then a couple top coats of Satin Black Rustoleum.

AND, I still need to get started on prepping the 8.25 and the leafs for the SOA .... which I'm getting done a week from tomorrow. NOT ENOUGH TIME!!!

IMG_1883.jpg

• 1 month later...

I've been busy working on the MJ. Here is a list of what I've completed over the past month or so.

Strip the 8.25 and prep for SOA

Recondition the junkyard leaf springs

Swap in the 8.25 and do the SOA

Upgrade to a V8 ZJ tie rod and ends

Relocate horn and vacuum ball

Install front and rear bumpers and rock sliders

Adjust tie rod and drag link to get steering and allignment back on track

Shim over CAD motor

Shim up the hood for better cooling

Here are some pics. Some were a little dark so I brightened them up so you can see the detail - but that made them a bit grainy. The sliders and bumpers are actually a very nice satin black - they look much better than the pics show.

IMG_1902.jpg

IMG_1904.jpg

IMG_1905.jpg

IMG_1906.jpg

IMG_1915.jpg

IMG_1916.jpg

IMG_1917.jpg

IMG_1918.jpg

IMG_1919.jpg

IMG_1920.jpg

IMG_1921.jpg

IMG_1922.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

I installed an Aussie locker in the front. I'm thrilled with the added traction! It wasn't a hard instal, but it wasn't super easy either. I had to pull the carrier and detach the ring gear. And, with a CAD D30 you have two choices with what to do with the pass. side C-clip. You can either grind a few teeth down on the ring gear so you can install the locker with the carrier in the housing and keep the C-clip ... or you can just do away with the C-clip and hope the shaft doesn't move around much. I chose option 2 - I wasn't about to grind down the ring gear.

Also, if you notice in the last picture a few posts back, the frame end of my track bar is screwed out kind of far. Well, while wheeling, it stripped the threads and came apart. I guess thats what I get for using a 3" track bar with almost 5" of lift.

I also decided that I just can't stand the harsh ride resulting from 5" of lift on short arms. Bumps on the road are just too jarring. It was fine off-road, but I'm afraid I'm gonna kill my bushings way too fast this way. I priced long arms and decided drop brackets are the way to go. So I'm on the hunt for a used pair.

I also bought a used CO2 tank and a fixed regulator to use as OBA.

Here are some pics from my last wheeling trip.

IMG_1995.JPG

IMG_2008.JPG

IMG_1997.JPG

I chose option 2 as well. Worked well for a few wheeling trips, but have now have upgraded to a single piece shaft with a 5-760x joint. Supposedly 40% stronger than a 297 and a lot stronger than a 260. Kinda pricey, though, at $30, but since I already blew one 260 joint since installing the Aussie I figured it was time to upgrade.

So Wade, what's stopping you? You asked me, what, 2 months ago where I got mine?

I chose option 2 as well. Worked well for a few wheeling trips, but have now have upgraded to a single piece shaft with a 5-760x joint. Supposedly 40% stronger than a 297 and a lot stronger than a 260. Kinda pricey, though, at $30, but since I already blew one 260 joint since installing the Aussie I figured it was time to upgrade.

So Wade, what's stopping you? You asked me, what, 2 months ago where I got mine?

no moneys

no moneys

lol storey of every ones life including min even though last time i looked i had 400$ in my wallet....... just don't wanna spend it on stuff yet .........but I'm buyin an axel this weekend tho :hijack:

Stay tuned to this thread, I just bought another round of parts:

New radiator

Hater hoses

Thermostat

Full guage cluster

CA drop brackets

Ruff stuff diff covers

Electrical aux. fan

I have a lot to do over the next month or so .... I'll try and post pics as I get things done.

• 9 months later...

Its been a long time since I posted an update on my truck. A lot has happened since then.

Clayton Long Arms

Rock Krawler Steering

Clayton track bar and bracket

4.88 Gears

D44 Rear with full Detroit locker and disk brakes

ARB locker in front

Alloy shafts front and rear

33s

Trimmed front fenders (need to trim the rear so it looks balanced - its level, just doesnt' look it)

OBA (still not completely hooked up - its a pain)

Custom belly pan

I had a lot of the work done at a local shop - I don't know how to do gears and there is no way I could make such a cool skid plate.

The truck is running and working pretty good right now. I'm really looking forward to a good season of wheeling!!

Here are some pics

IMG_2273.JPG

IMG_2274.JPG

IMG_2275.JPG

IMG_2276.JPG

IMG_2277.JPG

IMG_2278.JPG

IMG_2280.JPG

IMG_2281.JPG

photo.jpg

2010-03-28162800.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Set back ..... blew my engine.

photo.jpg

But, I was lucky enough to find a very good condition 99 XJ right around the corner from me. Its got 74k on the clock and is super clean .... except for some front end damage where the kid hit a pole. I got the whole thing cheap. After I swap the engine into my MJ, I should be able to part out the rest of the XJ and make my money back.

• 2 weeks later...

The MJ is coming home from the doctor tomorrow .... with a new MOTOR!!! Whoo-Hoo. Well, its new to me .... came out of a 99 XJ with 70k miles on it .... should have a LOT more power than the old dying RENIX.

I'll post pics once I get it home.

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks guys. The pics were taken at Rausch Creek Offroad Park in PA. If you haven't ever been there, schedule a long weekend and go - its worth it!!

My long arms and crossmember are the basic Clayton stuff. The skid plate is really very simple - just a few pieces of steel bent up on the edges and welded onto the crossmember. If I drop the crossmember, the whole skid comes down too - makes working on stuff super easy. I'd like to take credit for it, but I had a local shop build it. Really, its pretty cheap - some steel and about an hour of labor. Maybe $200 for the whole thing.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
Any updates? I was admiring the LWB on your JCR thread, then searched for your build... Here I am, and I like it!

As someone who also plans on wheeling a LWB, did you cut the rear quarters behind the wheel?

Rob L.

I've wheeled the LWB for a while. Its not that bad and there have only been a couple times when the extra length caused some problems.

Its funny you ask about updates because the truck is currently at the fab shop getting a complete custom tube bed made. I'm pretty excited to see how it comes out. I'll make sure to post plenty of pics when its done. Should take about two or three more weeks.