My new 86 MJ

I just bought this Comanche last weekend near Windsor, Ontario. It is a 2.5L 4cyl 2x4.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

I want to swap in a 4.0L and make it 4x4.

you'll have to do some beating around to get that 4.0L to fit in. i was thinking about doing that to mine but i am going to drop a 3.4L in her instead.

http://www.comancheclub.com/forums/view ... highlight=

was also thinking about putting in a 258.

EDIT: by the way, that's a good looking mj. looks to be in real good condition.

yeah that is right. i saw some where that the 4L could just be dropped for swapping out the 2.5L. i don't know if it was legit or not. i still haven't found out whether mine was one of those newer 86's. the sticker on the door is faded away. i don't know what else i could do to find out.

you'll have to do some beating around to get that 4.0L to fit in. i was thinking about doing that to mine but i am going to drop a 3.4L in her instead.

http://www.comancheclub.com/forums/view ... highlight=

was also thinking about putting in a 258.

EDIT: by the way, that's a good looking mj. looks to be in real good condition.

Yeah, there was somebody else on the board here who recently swapped out the 2.8 for a 4.0 in their 1986. They said it was only the "tab" on the exhaust manifold and they needed to bend the firewall only a little bit to make it fit.

I'm still leaning to the 3.4L for my 86 but only b/c I just bought new intake manifold and carb ($600) for my 2.8 that should swap in just fine. Otherwise picking up a 4.0 is far easier there's a bagillion of 'em out there.

"bagillion" being a technical term of course!

Nice looking truck.

If the legend is that sometime during 86 the firewall was modified to accept the future production 4.0 inline 6, did they change the hood latching at the same time or was that implemented only when the 4.0 was actually used? However, they did make the latch change across the board for the 2.5 as well. Somebody should have some information after all these years as to when the change was made such as serial number. I have a 86 and I'm happy with the 2.5. Just wondering which version I have.

Ur Grille is upside down :roll:

;)

Also, it looks like its been repainted. Keep an eye out for spots starting to show rust. Almost no cars up in our area go without having some rust on them at some time. My guess is that this one did too and, even if it was a quality job, rust NEVER goes away... :cry:

Try and nip it in the bud if it comes back. You'll be happy you did.

• 1 month later...

i decided to keep the 2.5l when i blew up my tranny last week. i was driving and started losing second gear so i started heading home and then i lost first to the point where foot to the floor would crawl. so i threw it in nuetral and pushed it uphill for 10-15 minutes to a school parking lot. tow truck got me home and then reversing into my drivewy, the tranny sprayed a line of fluid and my MJ was smoking. not sure if i broke it or just need more tranny fluid but i just bought a standard tranny/trans case and front drive shaft for my truck for $100.

EDIT.. Also might need axle shafts for front axle. i think previous owners were going to swap 4x4 in but didnt, so my front axle just needs shafts for 4x4

Well dammit, so thats where I left my Nike hat - on the tranny tunnel. Oh well.

I hope your enjoying the jeep. Have you gotten it on the road yet? Did it need alot of work?

I spoke briefly to Jeepman about it and said it was minor stuff mostly. One sweet jeep in my opinion. Was going to have a 4cyl Cummins diesel conversion and even had the engine on the line but life through me a punch and plans had to change.

Well dammit, so thats where I left my Nike hat - on the tranny tunnel. Oh well.

I hope your enjoying the jeep. Have you gotten it on the road yet? Did it need alot of work?

I spoke briefly to Jeepman about it and said it was minor stuff mostly. One sweet jeep in my opinion. Was going to have a 4cyl Cummins diesel conversion and even had the engine on the line but life through me a punch and plans had to change.

Guess that means you will have to get you a comanche club hat to replace it huh? jamminz.gif

• 6 months later...

Ive done a bunch of stuff in the last while. New 4.0L HO, 3 speed auto, and NP231. new door locks, new grey bucket seats, new rims and winter tires. i also bought a 3 inch skyjacker lift so hopefully i will have that on soon as well. I will try to get pics of the 4.0L and lift but here's some other pics.

New rims and snow tires

New grey buckets

I'm not sure what kind of 3 speed it is... just whatever came with a yj 4.0L HO

gah! You shot yerself on that one. Go look up an AW-4 swap. Hit the yards and find the TCU harness for a '91-94 XJ. Take the trans and make yourself a 4spd MJ. The 3spd will just be horrid if you want iffy-ish mileage

my mileage isnt that bad, i get 420 kms to a tank. not sure what that is in miles

On a 400 mile trip today (640 km) I averaged a touch over 24mpg (60-65mph the whole way, ~100km/h). I have a 23.5 gallon tank in my lwb Comanche, so that would be 24x23.5=564 miles, or 902 km on one tank of gas. I'm pretty confident of the 24mpg, because I got the same to within less than 1 mpg on the same trip back in July.

I'm glad you managed to make it home. I saw some of your troubles yesterday afternoon, and heard some more last night. That water pump sounded awful. Thanks for the tow out of the hole on those mud flats, though.

And to the OP:

Sorry about the hi-jack.