Badlands '08 Friday, July 18th to Sunday, July 20th

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After reading the whole thread again, and all the talk of breaking things on pages 2 and 5, should I drive the Jeep as I was planning, or trailer it behind the Suburban in case I break something vital in the drive train?

Trailering it would definitely add to the gas bill. I could drive it for $125 to $150, the Suburban would take upward of $200 in gas to tow the Jeep, possibly as high as $250.

After reading the whole thread again, and all the talk of breaking things on pages 2 and 5, should I drive the Jeep as I was planning, or trailer it behind the Suburban in case I break something vital in the drive train?

Trailering it would definitely add to the gas bill. I could drive it for $125 to $150, the Suburban would take upward of $200 in gas to tow the Jeep, possibly as high as $250.

Yeah you may pay alittle more in gas but if you break down then how much for towing it back if had too? I'm not trailering mine but I pray I won't break anything, but If I do, then I will figure something out but that's me and I don't have the option to trailer her down either. To me though you should be able to drive you rig on the road and be able to go any where with it off road. I'm big on maintaining that DD weekend worrier idea. So the choice is yours, to be safe or save a little in gas?

If you have the equipment and funds to trailer, then i would recommend that. just a little extra insurance in case something does happen.

If you drive it and break something, I'm sure someone will have parts to fix it. i know i bring extra axle shafts and odds and ends crap, as do others. plus they have a shop and parts everywhere that might be of some help.

I would trailer it. Especially since your taking your kid. Always better to be safe than sorry.

As for my situation I'm still gettin 10 mpg. One of these days I'll post up a project section on every thing I've replaced on my truck and what I still have to get done. I would also trailer it just in case just to be safe, but don't have anything to tow with or a trailer so I'd probably rent something adding to my bill. Remember I'll be on the road 10 to twelve hours each way which means 3 meals times 3 to 4 days. Restaurants are expensive nowadays. I should know I own one. $200 bucks includes tent fees and hotel rooms in case we need to stop for some reason. I forgot, someone will probably come with me. And I'd love to have a daily driver that I can take off road when I want, but because of work I don't have the luxury of breaking down somewhere in flat but Ohio, waiting for a tow truck, having him rip me off and then trying to find a mechanic that will rip me off and probably not even know what a Comanche is.

But, just to be optimistic, I will do my darndest to get in gear and somehow get everything done by July to make it. Everybody else, GOOD LUCK & HAPPY HUNTING!

I would trailer it. Especially since your taking your kid. Always better to be safe than sorry.

As for my situation I'm still gettin 10 mpg. One of these days I'll post up a project section on every thing I've replaced on my truck and what I still have to get done. I would also trailer it just in case just to be safe, but don't have anything to tow with or a trailer so I'd probably rent something adding to my bill. Remember I'll be on the road 10 to twelve hours each way which means 3 meals times 3 to 4 days. Restaurants are expensive nowadays. I should know I own one. $200 bucks includes tent fees and hotel rooms in case we need to stop for some reason. I forgot, someone will probably come with me. And I'd love to have a daily driver that I can take off road when I want, but because of work I don't have the luxury of breaking down somewhere in flat but Ohio, waiting for a tow truck, having him rip me off and then trying to find a mechanic that will rip me off and probably not even know what a Comanche is.

But, just to be optimistic, I will do my darndest to get in gear and somehow get everything done by July to make it. Everybody else, GOOD LUCK & HAPPY HUNTING!

Find a mechanic? What? you did not just say that did you? :mad:

And get AAA, it's what I got and its great, tow anywhere is covered.

Let's just say I blow the whole engine because I'm driving the truck 75 MPH for 10 hours straight and it's never seen more than 20 miles straight at a time while I've owned it. I GOTTA DRIVE 612 MILES EACH WAY. I break down right outside the badlands. I would not try to replace my engine on the shoulder of the highway and I don't think AAA covers more than 100 miles even if ya got the plus membership. So unless Wade or Pat throws an extra 4.0 in the back of their bed, I would probably just drop it off at the local yahoo so he could rip me off. NOT. Hence the trailer from PA to the badlands just to be safe. Now, when I finally get around to dropping a remanufactured engine in the son o gun. I'll drive from South Beach in Miami to Portland, no worries. But not with my engine that has 200 some thousand miles and was not takin care of for the last 20 years.

Plus with my luck I'd bring 223 differnt tools with me and the only one i would need wouldn't be in the tool box :eek:

Yeah trailer no doubt, I drove my baby home from Fl to MI with 220+ and had to replace fuel pump due to a souther boy cutting a hole in tank to clean it then don't know how to weld at that, and had to replace the steering pump. that was a trip with just that and that was't after a trail outing so I hear all that. But like I said to be safe or save some gas?, better to be safe.

Keep us updated. If you do make it, you'll probably be coming through Cambridge, OH, where I70 and I77 intersect. I live only about 45 minutes straight up I77 and will take it down to Cambridge and then I70 West from there.

That allows us to to follow each other for half your trip, as insurance.

If you start on your trip Thursday instead of Friday, you could stay at my place for the night. Don't really have an extra bed, but I have 2 empty couches...

On a side note, I will probably drive my Jeep down instead of trailering it, but will take most of my tools with me. If something major does happen, I will try to talk my 17 year old to borrow a friend's trailer and come get us with the Suburban. No need to spend $100+ extra "just in case". I don't own a trailer, but there are 3 trailers I could probably borrow.

Okay, next topic: CB radios. I have a few radios and antennas laying around (but no antenna mounts). Do you guys use CB radios? If so, where did you mount them? I have looked and looked around the truck, and the best place I can come up with is on the back wall in between the seats, with the mic mounted to the side of the center console.

There has got to be a better spot!

Or if nobody else has one, I just won't bother.

If you can get a magnet mount antenna to stick to your roof, I can hook up a cigarette lighter plug to power an extra radio you can just toss on the passenger seat or so.

If that was directed towards me, thanks, I'd appreciate it. :cheers: