Badlands '08 Friday, July 18th to Sunday, July 20th

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you can get a magnet mount antenna to stick to your roof, I can hook up a cigarette lighter plug to power an extra radio you can just toss on the passenger seat or so.

If that was directed towards me, thanks, I'd appreciate it. :cheers:

Well, I just mounted my radio. Turns out the IF amplifier is shot in my good one due to a bad antenna. Brand new still in box never used radio $#!& radio had a blown capacitor, so my trusty old Uniden is the only working radio I have. I can probably fix the Radio Shack one myself, but doubt I'll have time before the trip. This means I do not have a spare radio anymore. Sorry about that.

Well, I just mounted my radio. Turns out the IF amplifier is shot in my good one due to a bad antenna. Brand new still in box never used radio $#!& radio had a blown capacitor, so my trusty old Uniden is the only working radio I have. I can probably fix the Radio Shack one myself, but doubt I'll have time before the trip. This means I do not have a spare radio anymore. Sorry about that.

hey, don't worry about it...the CB is part of his "surprise"

only part of it though :D

• 2 weeks later...

It seems time is my enemy. I think I have a front skid plate coming. That still leaves the transfer case and gas tank unprotected, but it's better than nothing. I also have a broken leaf in both my rear springs, and even though I was planning to wait till after the trip, 2 people have now told me I should really fix that before. Could be a 4 hour job, but if the parts don't want to cooperate it could turn into a full weekend project easily. When I do that the plan is to put the rear on jack stands and drop the entire axle assembly with the springs still attached to work on it out in the open.

Oh, and I'm getting my new tires Friday. My current tires range from barely legal 1/16" tread to about 1/8" on the best one. The spare is completely bald.

I'm getting 4 P235/75R15 Wintermark snow tires for $89 each mounted and balanced. and am having an old one off the F100 (50% tread left) mounted on the spare. I have played with these in sand, mud and wet leaves before, and they worked quite well. About as good as M/T tires. Didn't do so great in 30" tall grass on dried out clay and 30 degree incline, though. Never tried them on rocks.

I guess Chico isn't going anymore. About half his route would have been the same as mine, but I think somebody from the Columbus area was going. I'll be taking I77 south to Cambridge, them I70 west through Columbus and past. Always fun to gang up with someone on the highway, especially if both vehicles have CB or FRS.

Oh, and for the long trip I got a new CD player installed ($30 off a buddy whose girlfriend rolled her Grand Prix). Unlike the old one that came with the truck and had an overheating problem causing it to shut down after 2 minutes (turned out to be a missing heat sink) this one plays mp3 CDs. I just burned one with 141 songs on it. jamminz.gif

I put new 4x6s in the back a while ago, but still need a replacement 5" I think for the ds door.PS door still works fine, though.

Steering is set and is beautiful. Took it out on the highway and it is smooth driving even up to 80mph so I'm good to go. Got everything for the the regear up front so be doing that in a couple weekends and I'm ready for the rocks. :brows:

Still stock here too. Hopefully will actually have my seat bolted down tomorrow, then Tuesday my new (to me) stock leaf springs and front skid plate should be arriving.

Still trying to decide if I have the funds to get some Chevy drop shackles for about $40. And see if I can find a CB antenna roof mount locally. If not I'll have to order one. Thinking of the Firestik dome mount.

I'm ready! :D

even though my front end needs a rebuild, I'm gonna wheel it. 8)

Rebuild! :eek: What does?

all the bushing in my control arms are shot, tie-rod ends are going, need to rebalance the tires, one lower coil bucket is kind of rusting away and it needs to be welded up.