"New" Jeep

JZLAJeep

Added a "new" Jeep to the fleet. This is a '86 CJ-7 with 183K miles, 4.2L I6, hardtop, 4x4 (obviously). It's nearly entirely stock.

A coworker asked if I knew anyone that would be interested in buying their CJ-7 and I volunteered as quickly and vigorously as I could. My coworker and her husband were the 2nd owners, used it to hunt, camp, and around their rural home and only put 24K miles on it in 25 years of ownership. We agreed on a price that I think is well well below market value for the vehicle (but also the 2nd most expensive Jeep I've purchased :laugh:) because they wanted it to go to a home that would appreciate it. It's an even better value when I consider that they threw in a tow bar, homemade hard top hoist, bikini top, and tow lights.

We've owned 3 Cherokees, 1 Comanche, and a J10. As much as we have loved each of those, this is our first real Jeep. Had to sell a Cherokee to make room and free up some money, but we are excited to add this to our fleet.

Front Right.jpg

Front Left.jpg

Back Left.jpg

Back Right.jpg

Interior 1.jpg

Interior 2.jpg

Engine.jpg

Score! I see it already has a different carb on it. Looks to me like a Motorcraft 2150. If you want to wake it up some more, I'd recommend putting a GM style HEI distributor in it. 

1986 last year for the CJ's. Great buy. Had the 85CJ, same color except mine was soft top with soft doors. Was eaten by rust, but still the nicest go-cart I've ever owned.

That is super nice!  Just like the MJs, nice original CJs are getting harder to find and going up in value.  And while I love my MJ, my CJ7 is my true passion.  Mine is an 83, I've owned it since 1995.

Looking at the 4th picture, it looks like you are missing the pass/rear center cap.  Also, I can't see an axle shaft end and nut protruding out.   So it's possible the factory two piece rear axle shafts have been replaced with aftermarket one piece.  Or, the last of the 86 CJ7s had a factory Dana 44 rear axle, in place of the AMC20.  The 44 had one piece axle shafts stock.  Might be interesting to take a look and see what you have.

I don't know what your plans might be, I noticed your horn button center emblem is worn out, kind of common.  Very nice reproductions are available.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/255554512033?hash=item3b803c64a1:g:vBkAAOSwyc5ilhtt&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAAwAjXM6ykOhs5sqo1HpphUJXiiYb7N2X1apeR37RDgBgOzBPuZTC2gwGwNGXCwXtz%2ByA302iFTyCSwkuYE7zJ0o9kHn6ThXzLYTWJ2FcAWXuUZwnFqI%2FyYi25sKFytqtOylmFys2dQ9%2FzxLAwQHWZFLgW%2BJhxWB%2FmVx9jn%2FP40FvzLW1Tm50xJoj2EGSB1IVgGIeG2vrCZ74GMiLmPNeDPuo1kAB6NeCB%2FhNtVC%2FXZFImrNepjlsBB0VfjM62uJhNNg%3D%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR8K79uilYw

Congrats on a great buy!

4 hours ago, 89 MJ said:

Score! I see it already has a different carb on it. Looks to me like a Motorcraft 2150. If you want to wake it up some more, I'd recommend putting a GM style HEI distributor in it. 

It's a newer looking Holley, and it's a non-progressive two barrel. That's all I know about it but it starts great, runs great, and makes good power.

3 hours ago, schardein said:

That is super nice!  Just like the MJs, nice original CJs are getting harder to find and going up in value.  And while I love my MJ, my CJ7 is my true passion.  Mine is an 83, I've owned it since 1995.

Looking at the 4th picture, it looks like you are missing the pass/rear center cap.  Also, I can't see an axle shaft end and nut protruding out.   So it's possible the factory two piece rear axle shafts have been replaced with aftermarket one piece.  Or, the last of the 86 CJ7s had a factory Dana 44 rear axle, in place of the AMC20.  The 44 had one piece axle shafts stock.  Might be interesting to take a look and see what you have.

I don't know what your plans might be, I noticed your horn button center emblem is worn out, kind of common.  Very nice reproductions are available.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/255554512033?hash=item3b803c64a1:g:vBkAAOSwyc5ilhtt&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAAwAjXM6ykOhs5sqo1HpphUJXiiYb7N2X1apeR37RDgBgOzBPuZTC2gwGwNGXCwXtz%2ByA302iFTyCSwkuYE7zJ0o9kHn6ThXzLYTWJ2FcAWXuUZwnFqI%2FyYi25sKFytqtOylmFys2dQ9%2FzxLAwQHWZFLgW%2BJhxWB%2FmVx9jn%2FP40FvzLW1Tm50xJoj2EGSB1IVgGIeG2vrCZ74GMiLmPNeDPuo1kAB6NeCB%2FhNtVC%2FXZFImrNepjlsBB0VfjM62uJhNNg%3D%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR8K79uilYw

Congrats on a great buy!

Thanks!

It's definitely a single piece axle shaft, and if it's not original, its pretty old. I'm no expert on axles or identification, but some Google searching tells me it looks like it could be a Dana 44. Definitely not that perfectly circular AMC 20 diff cover. That's a good thing, right?

6 hours ago, JZLAJeep said:

Thanks!

It's definitely a single piece axle shaft, and if it's not original, its pretty old. I'm no expert on axles or identification, but some Google searching tells me it looks like it could be a Dana 44. Definitely not that perfectly circular AMC 20 diff cover. That's a good thing, right?

It certainly is a good thing. Here is a factory 1986 CJ Dana 44.

CJ 86 D44 brake lines.jpeg