Renix and HO bored throttle bodies available!!

I’ve got a Renix one on my Comanche. His website says this:

A note on Throttle Body finish- Lets face it, these T-Bodies are made from cast zinc and they're used. Their beauty fades quickly after a few years and the Renix units have been on the road for 20 years now.  

If you are looking for a shiny showroom finish, I'm notgoing to have what you need. You can order one powder coated or send me one to bore but, I cannot promise a fancy finish otherwise.

This was not my experience at all. Mine came back looking like a brand new throttle body. Cannot recommend it enough!

I held off on buying one for over a year because I was worried about the finish. 

Old TB:

IMG_2853.jpeg.b3b6d20d23737b886e27b1349a5d6cc4.jpegIMG_2854.jpeg.ae113635a34818c9abc5e96ea7b68beb.jpeg

New bored TB:

IMG_2773.jpeg.0d2cf7779971f43dd45abf9bc7327d91.jpegIMG_2852.jpeg.71d3628577ea5f6e72667b120dc595c4.jpeg

1 hour ago, 89 MJ said:

I’ve got a Renix one on my Comanche. His website says this:

This was not my experience at all. Mine came back looking like a brand new throttle body. Cannot recommend it enough!

I held off on buying one for over a year because I was worried about the finish. 

Old TB:

IMG_2853.jpeg.b3b6d20d23737b886e27b1349a5d6cc4.jpegIMG_2854.jpeg.ae113635a34818c9abc5e96ea7b68beb.jpeg

New bored TB:

IMG_2773.jpeg.0d2cf7779971f43dd45abf9bc7327d91.jpegIMG_2852.jpeg.71d3628577ea5f6e72667b120dc595c4.jpeg

Did you notice a difference in performance or throttle tip in from the larger bore?

1 hour ago, pizzaman09 said:

Did you notice a difference in performance or throttle tip in from the larger bore?

HO myth buster

Renix in 90 made 182 HP. HO in 91 made 190 HP. That's 8 HP difference. 

HO only made more HP than Renix at higher RPMs and not a bit more torque. HO had a 58 mm throttle body versus a 52 mm throttle body on a Renix. That’s 20% more air available through the HO throttle body. The HO also had a better design header. See where I'm going with this? 

It’s only a 4% horsepower increase…..

The whole 8HP was not mostly from the head, but from the bigger TB and better exhaust manifold.

Put a 60mm TB from www.strokedjeep.com on your present manifold using the Renix head, eliminate the "crush" in your headpipe with proper re-routing, and go for it. 

HO stands for Highly Overrated.

54 minutes ago, pizzaman09 said:

To be completely honest, I can not tell you for sure. There is a noticeable power difference with the bored TB, but I also did a high altitude CPS at the same time, which advances the ignition timing. Together they both made a difference in power and fuel economy.

Here is what I can tell you:

I gained about 1.5 mpg per tank, tested over a few tanks of gas. My truck accelerates much better now and cruises at highway speeds much easier. I can't tell you which one made the larger difference. I can't even for sure tell you that the difference didn't come from just having a clean throttle body, but I'd recommend it. At the end of the day, it is not a very expensive upgrade, even if it doesn't make much difference.

1 hour ago, TurboedMJ said:

This may be a dumb question, but I have an HO head, would I need bigger injectors if I switched to the 70mm tb from newcomer racing?

No, very unlikely, you tend to need a lot of work to improve airflow enough on an NA engine to need larger injectors.

2 hours ago, cruiser54 said:

HO myth buster

HO only made more HP than Renix at higher RPMs and not a bit more torque. HO had a 58 mm throttle body versus a 52 mm throttle body on a Renix. That’s 20% more air available through the HO throttle body. The HO also had a better design header. See where I'm going with this? 

The whole 8HP was not mostly from the head, but from the bigger TB and better exhaust manifold.

Put a 60mm TB from www.strokedjeep.com on your present manifold using the Renix head, eliminate the "crush" in your headpipe with proper re-routing, and go for it. 

I was figuring that would be the answer.  For the money I think I'd rather purchase a nice Banks header.  My first Comanche had one, I believe the only engine mod it had, and it ran much stronger than my current one.  

2 hours ago, 89 MJ said:

To be completely honest, I can not tell you for sure. There is a noticeable power difference with the bored TB, but I also did a high altitude CPS at the same time, which advances the ignition timing. Together they both made a difference in power and fuel economy.

Here is what I can tell you:

I gained about 1.5 mpg per tank, tested over a few tanks of gas. My truck accelerates much better now and cruises at highway speeds much easier. I can't tell you which one made the larger difference. I can't even for sure tell you that the difference didn't come from just having a clean throttle body, but I'd recommend it. At the end of the day, it is not a very expensive upgrade, even if it doesn't make much difference.

I've done the CPS mod to make it like a high altitude one, that definitely helped mine.  I haven't seen a noticeable increase in fuel economy, but I don't drive consistently enough to really catch that.  

3 hours ago, cruiser54 said:

HO myth buster

Chiming in here on behalf of all past and present HO owners:

HO Is better because blah blah blah :wink:

I've been eyeing a bored throttle body and doing the IAT relocation, but I need to grab a spare throttle body first before having it bored. I don't want to have my vehicle down for a bit. I'd also love to record some data from my renix monitor before and after the swap to see if I can quantify the difference.

If I can push 200hp 200 ft-lbs and 25mpg, that's goals right there! :bowdown:

15 hours ago, cruiser54 said:

Probably not. The ECU likely has enough headroom to handle the increase in air flow. 

14 hours ago, pizzaman09 said:

No, very unlikely, you tend to need a lot of work to improve airflow enough on an NA engine to need larger injectors.

Thanks. 

On 10/30/2023 at 6:04 AM, cruiser54 said:

HO myth buster

Bashing on our mopars again :laugh: :sad2: 

• 2 weeks later...

I've removed the restriction on a few HO TBs. I also clean up the inlets cast taper. I put a taper on the outlet side too. So a 60mm bore.  I can't say how much HP a bore TB gets. I have noticed that I do much better on the hills on WV. Also, running a ceramic coated header and the Horseshoe (2000+) intake. I gave a few to a guy who does work on my Jeeps. He seems to like them. I can't find my RENIX TB to bore out. I remember a guy in Florida, Bell that would bore them to 60mm. Said 1 in 4 or 5 he had to scrap. Porosity in the casting. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have received my 60mm throttle body from Jeff. I can't comment on performance yet as the Jeep is going to be idle for some time due to the interior being redone with new floor pans. I am very pleased with how clean the workmanship is on these TBs.  I do have one Q, however: With the upgraded TB, an instruction to adjust the TPS was issued.

What is the logic behind adjusting the TPS and is it 100% necessary? I do plan to follow through with it but I am also asking in case someone else has the same questions going forward.