Selling your Comanche. Do you regret it?

Classy Comanche

Recently I have been considering selling my truck. I have noticed I have lost the desire to drive it and I more just like to sit and look at it. I've went through the nightmare of fixing it and working the kinks out and I finally have. But now I don't want to really drive it. Part of me wants to sell it because I know I can't keep it forever. I know eventually I'll need to find somthing newer and eventually as all vehicles do....become money pits. On the other hand I do not want to sell it because it has a history. It's kept up. Maintained and runs better than ever. I'm just torn because I don't want to be selfish and keep it and let it rot when I could find someone to continue to work on it. What is your guys advice? I know I made a thread way earlier on my discouragement about nonstop fixing it but this is me unsure if I should sell based on me not hardly driving it. I think if I was to sell I'd want somthing like 5k. I don't have any clue what these things go for since people have usually hit me very low in the $500-$2,000 range. Which I know is way way to low considering it has paperwork and parts with it

It's a very clean truck. The paint is a bit faded but has no body damage or has been in any accidents/wrecks. I'm just in a weird place where I want to sell it but also want to really keep it. I'll think on it way more. I think I'm leaning more towards keeping it since I do need to drive it more

image000000.jpg

IMG_20211211_153501_995.jpg

IMG_20211211_153501_962.jpg

20230308_151633.jpg

Yeah I'll keep it. I just had one of those moments. Insurance and registration is dirt cheap and I can't lie it is fun to drive. I guess I got to the point to where I didn't want to drive it since I got it fixed after it was nonstop "fix this, fix that, oh fix that since I found it looking for somthing else".

I purchased an 88 Comanche out in Los Angeles and drove it home to Pennsylvania.  It was an awesome trip with 6 friends where we wanted to buy craigslist cars and drive them cross country.  I didn't even know what a Comanche was when I found it.  I sold it at the end of the summer as I simply didn't need another vehicle, especially a truck.  It was instant regret.  I then spent the next three years searching until the need and exactly right truck showed up for sale.  I will never sell this one.  

I've sold cars that I don't regret selling, a 2002 BMW M5 (the ultimate sedan) and a 2013 Mini (an autocross weapon).  The 88 Comanche was just an experience that I couldn't shake. 

Keep the Comanche and start putting miles on it.

28 minutes ago, pizzaman09 said:

I purchased an 88 Comanche out in Los Angeles and drove it home to Pennsylvania.  It was an awesome trip with 6 friends where we wanted to buy craigslist cars and drive them cross country.  I didn't even know what a Comanche was when I found it.  I sold it at the end of the summer as I simply didn't need another vehicle, especially a truck.  It was instant regret.  I then spent the next three years searching until the need and exactly right truck showed up for sale.  I will never sell this one.  

I've sold cars that I don't regret selling, a 2002 BMW M5 (the ultimate sedan) and a 2013 Mini (an autocross weapon).  The 88 Comanche was just an experience that I couldn't shake. 

Keep the Comanche and start putting miles on it.

you fit 6 guys in a Comanche!?! 

1 hour ago, Classy Comanche said:

fix this, fix that, oh fix that since I found it looking for somthing else

That’s every story with every car. You’ll even get it with new fresh off the lot cars. It’s discouraging but the reward of powering through the fixes is worth it along with the challenge and testing of your mettle. 

1 hour ago, Pete M said:

seriously.  start going to local car shows.  it's a freaking awesome classic truck and deserves to be shown off. :D 

I had a kid younger than I who owned a newer XJ this past Saturday totally fall in love with the MJ and got really shocked to see a 4cyl under the hood vs the 4.0. That actually made my day to see someone younger than I appreciate the classic obscure Jeeps. 

8 hours ago, Pete M said:

you fit 6 guys in a Comanche!?! 

No, we were planning on purchasing two vehicles.  Ended up only getting the Comanche, we rented a GMC Yukon as the second ride.  Traded off driving on the 3500 miles home.

Rotate what you drive every few days. I have 8 vehicles in total. Sometimes I drive something different every day of the week, sometimes I switch it up weekly. I go through phases where I'm more interested in one than the other but my love for them never dies

Yeah I should probably do that. I guess I got in the phase of "oh! It's finally fixed. I don't want to drive it in case something else goes bad" but I think I'm over/out of that. I'll have to rotate my Monte and Jeep out. Even people at work are like "where's the jeep!? You never drive it anymore" so even coworkers are taking notice. Definitely time to start putting more miles on her. Just clicked over 180k. Couldn't be happier 

Buff the paint out or get it done.  That’s a good looking MJ and, with the no damage history, definitely worth more than $5K.

I sold my ‘91 Eliminator and kept my Ram (for business travel/use) when we bought a new house with a small garage.  Guess what - COVID happened, my job changed to more management/less travel.  Wound up selling the Ram and buying a smaller truck.  
Bottom line, should have kept the MJ and sold the Ram when we moved. Really miss that truck.

DON’T SELL IT!!!!!

On 5/29/2023 at 9:07 PM, Classy Comanche said:

Yeah I'll keep it. I just had one of those moments. Insurance and registration is dirt cheap and I can't lie it is fun to drive. I guess I got to the point to where I didn't want to drive it since I got it fixed after it was nonstop "fix this, fix that, oh fix that since I found it looking for somthing else".

:applause:I think you are doing the right thing!

I ended up selling mine, only because I built it to the point it wasn't practical anymore.  Too kitted out to be a DD, and the only legal wheeling around me isn't around me....I used to run with a club that one of the members had a bunch of local-ish rural acreage that we'd all used to have fun on but the club dissolved.  So my MJ just ended up being a garage queen for the most part.  I do have my regrets, but what really made me comfortable selling it was the guy I sold it to.  He lived out in the country, loved to wheel and had the property to do it on, and it didn't hurt that when he showed up to look at it he had a big wad of cash in his front pocket, lol.  I figured at least my MJ would get to live on the way I built it to.  He was thrilled to get it, and I was happy to sell it to him.  Had just about anyone else asked to buy it (to flip it, part it out, etc.) I probably wouldn't have sold it.

I'd be lying if I said I hadn't considered it lately. I enjoy driving the XJ around town a lot more than the Comanche, plus with 3 young kids, I can take more than one with me. I know I'd regret it, but sometimes I wonder what other interesting vehicle I could have and still have my 4.0 fix with the XJ