J10 for $1K?

JZLAJeep

I'd buy it.

Their design is horrible and there is likely far more rust.  If you want to restore it, then I would suggest doing a lot of research into how ugly they are to deal with from a sheetmetal standpoint.  If you just want to build a driver and teach your kids some mechanical skills, then it looks like a great candidate.

Little more info from my son:

"[Owner] said it ran in the last month or two but the carb kept clogging up cuz the tank is rusty. Interior isn't bad.

It's a straight 6 4spd 4wd

[Owner] said he thought [the fuel tank] was bad enough to replace"

So potentially tracking down a replacement tank or repurposing one from elsewhere sounds like it would be the first order of business. Neither sound easy, but not impossible.

The best time to buy something like that is when you see it.   Buy it.

It's a project and we all know they're never "done" and ... I bet a line would form if you decided you want to sell it.

I'm sure you could probably buy it, clean it up and sell it as is for 2k. If nothing more you could get it running and driving, nothing more and could sell it? I don't know what those things go for but if you got it driving and sold it you could probably get 3500-5000 out of it? If you got room for it and do plan to work on it and have idea for it. Go for it. There's few and far in between 

I couldn’t help but notice a little while ago how close the dimensions are to a RCLB GMT800. I should probably just fix the rockers on my 2500 instead… but that 6.0 and NV4500 would be pretty cool under an old Jeep body.
As long as it’s not going to be a major rust removal project I can’t really come up with any ideas to talk you out of it. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...