Source for A pillar door seal

I haven't seen an aftermarket supplier for that gasket/seal from any of the suppliers. If I could make a suggestion to rule out where your noise is coming from you can have some one tape off (I recommend using painters tape) the different areas you suspect you're getting noise from. I thought my wind noise was coming from the same area but it turns out it was saggy door hinges not allowing the weather stripping that goes around the entire door do it's job.

@Limeyjeeper did something cool to replicate the stock weatherstripping there.  He got 1/2” aluminum angle iron, riveted it in place and used the other edge to attach the weatherstripping.  I’ve bought the parts but haven’t attempted it yet.

image.png.efff519f9e66ae7dca7926b71a9dded4.png

The upper seal is made by Precision part no DWB 6111 84.

DWB_6111_84_LGE-1.jpg

36 minutes ago, big66440 said:

I haven't seen an aftermarket supplier for that gasket/seal from any of the suppliers. If I could make a suggestion to rule out where your noise is coming from you can have some one tape off (I recommend using painters tape) the different areas you suspect you're getting noise from. I thought my wind noise was coming from the same area but it turns out it was saggy door hinges not allowing the weather stripping that goes around the entire door do it's job.

I've definitely considered doing this.  Also I definitely have sagging door hinges.

28 minutes ago, SoCalJeepComanche said:

@Limeyjeeper did something cool to replicate the stock weatherstripping there.  He got 1/2” aluminum angle iron, riveted it in place and used the other edge to attach the weatherstripping.  I’ve bought the parts but haven’t attempted it yet.

image.png.efff519f9e66ae7dca7926b71a9dded4.png

The upper seal is made by Precision part no DWB 6111 84.

DWB_6111_84_LGE-1.jpg

I like the method.  I hope you did something to prevent galvanic corrosion between the aluminum and the body of the truck.

2 hours ago, cruiser54 said:

Use the more robust later model versions? 

What specifically are you referring to? I’ve heard this mentioned before but the only thing I’ve seen used from the 97+ is the actual door seal. Haven’t seen anything that actually replaces this a pillar seal.

18 hours ago, cruiser54 said:

The A pillar seals are stiffer and don't warp. 

some had this added, which in NLA.

A pillar seals.jpg

So there is an a pillar seal for the 97+ that is similar to the 96-? Any chance you have a part number for that? I was under the impression they did away with the a pillar seal on 97+ but I haven’t really spend any time looking for that part on a 97+ 

Edit: found an image of what I believe to be the 97+ a pillar seals. They appear to be a more block style design which makes sense. I’ll see if I can find some decent used ones. @eaglescout526 any chance you have a part number for these? 

Edit 2: these seals are for a TJ

FC47E729-9BAA-4EE9-BD54-711209CDA810.jpeg

I’m seeing that part number superseded by 55175355AC and seeing quite a few of those in stock. But according to the picture in the diagram below, it still looks like the seal is mounted to some sort of lip. What is that lip? Does someone have a good picture(s) of an a pillar from a 97+ XJ with this seal setup. It’s listed as the “seal, secondary”. 

CFA73767-849B-41A1-8DBB-2850E85A3785.jpeg

Just to follow up, I’d like to confirm this info for future reference. Can anyone get us a picture of the secondary seal and what it mounts to on a 97+ XJ A pillar? 

I’m aware of many referring to the the 97+ door seals which seal the door to the cab opening but this is the secondary seal that runs along the A pillar and is not part of the main door seal in either pre or post 97 models. The part numbers and diagrams I’ve found don’t match the Mopar parts diagram either. Is it possible there were 3 or more variations of this seal over the years? TIA

Wait. What if we just took a full door seal, cut it up and used the factory plastic rivets to rivet it in place and have a better full seal? Or even double sided tape like the later ones. I mean we don’t exactly have to use the original style that the factory got as its clear we aren’t finding anything remotely like the old part and nothing else in the Chrysler family uses this part. 

The A pillar seal. The long one. It is much more rigid than the flimsy early one. Not sure when they changed  to the improved one. Reduces wind noise. Not sure how to adapt it or if it needs adapting. 

The little seal at the bottom of the A pillar seal is NLA for sure. BUT, I bet you could make one or grab one at the wrecking yard. It's like a black foam material and is glued on. 

3 hours ago, eaglescout526 said:

Wait. What if we just took a full door seal, cut it up and used the factory plastic rivets to rivet it in place and have a better full seal? Or even double sided tape like the later ones. I mean we don’t exactly have to use the original style that the factory got as its clear we aren’t finding anything remotely like the old part and nothing else in the Chrysler family uses this part. 

You’ll need something to keep consistent pressure on that seal along the pillar. Some sort of backing material. I think limeys solution was a good idea. 

So I guess no one has been able to identify what the a pillar secondary seal mounted to on the 97+??

That seal is still available from several sources but I don’t know what it mounts to (see pic above and red circle)

1 minute ago, ghetdjc320 said:

You’ll need something to keep consistent pressure on that seal along the pillar. Some sort of backing material. I think limeys solution was a good idea

Orrrrr a piece of metal made to mimic the original strip and just put a piece of foam on it that should keep a good seal. 

1 minute ago, eaglescout526 said:

Orrrrr a piece of metal made to mimic the original strip and just put a piece of foam on it that should keep a good seal. 

Like @Limeyjeeper did. So from what I can gather, the original pre 97 seal was just a rubber strip that mounted to the a pillar. It also had small foam pieces attached to it to help keep its rigidity. 
The 97+ is a rubber seal (part number 55175355AC) and it mounts onto a similar seal as the 96- (sort of a rigid plastic piece that is mounted to the a pillar. The rubber seal is still available but the plastic strip it mounts to isn’t… does that sound correct? 

7 hours ago, ghetdjc320 said:

Just to follow up, I’d like to confirm this info for future reference. Can anyone get us a picture of the secondary seal and what it mounts to on a 97+ XJ A pillar? 

I’m aware of many referring to the the 97+ door seals which seal the door to the cab opening but this is the secondary seal that runs along the A pillar and is not part of the main door seal in either pre or post 97 models. The part numbers and diagrams I’ve found don’t match the Mopar parts diagram either. Is it possible there were 3 or more variations of this seal over the years? TIA

It mounts to a piece of sheet metal bent out of the a pillar skin 

9297E3AA-58D0-4A42-AFA6-BB8E3916B399.jpeg

CA5859DA-DA73-40DD-9749-73197CCAC442.jpeg

349FDDE8-43C5-46F0-A9DD-72ADCE3A0E5B.jpeg

34A60B17-79D8-46EB-97ED-3F60B3EFE636.jpeg

Also just had an idea, if you have an old seal that doesn’t line up or you just want a better seal, you can just take the new one and slide it on over the old one

putting it on backwards seems to give a good seal, but forwards probably gives a slightly better seal at cost to looks

Backwards:E48EECE2-E5A7-4799-BB41-7F28BB591DA3.jpeg.c696687a45355705f3e47de006cea702.jpeg

80BAEAF6-7090-47B2-983D-6A4F73C0E8CD.jpeg.4bb4af35529a471600e45947e8030978.jpeg

5B3828A0-1073-4D43-96CE-A0FCD0D99186.jpeg.48d516cf6ca81d7da67021e0e80959fb.jpeg

The “Correct way”B5DED0DC-A7C6-4FB1-8984-75431724D878.jpeg.0e3c00e51924e9fdf1ff8fdf25a2d671.jpeg

F7F9C86A-FDC2-4B99-A73A-8485A4571035.jpeg.ae169c9880a8f87fc4286326dcd2b36c.jpeg

D82B66E9-8208-40B8-9274-B991C502CD3A.jpeg

25 minutes ago, cruiser54 said:

So that's the 3rd design I guess. 

There was the flimsy angled one on early models. Then the more rigid replacement. then this. ??

I’m beginning to think it’s just two designs. The rubber strip that had plastic retainers into the A pillar then the redesigned A pillar in the 97+ with the lip that the new seal would go on.

Thanks @jpnjake for those pics! So one would need to fabricate a lip for the 97+ secondary seal to mount to.

I’ve heard many times about upgrading to the 97+ style seal but I believe most comments are referring to the door to cab seal and not to this secondary A pillar seal. It seams many are missing that secondary seal. 

1 hour ago, ghetdjc320 said:

I’m beginning to think it’s just two designs. The rubber strip that had plastic retainers into the A pillar then the redesigned A pillar in the 97+ with the lip that the new seal would go on.

Thanks @jpnjake for those pics! So one would need to fabricate a lip for the 97+ secondary seal to mount to.

I’ve heard many times about upgrading to the 97+ style seal but I believe most comments are referring to the door to cab seal and not to this secondary A pillar seal. It seams many are missing that secondary seal. 

No problem, I’ve been wanting to look into this for a while 

From what I’ve experienced the early style design (rubber) if still in place can work was there rail to mount the newstyle seal on, you have to flip the seal around the other way, but it still works, I even took it on the highway and it made a big difference in wind noise. (This is with the original door seals and stock sound deadening.)

DEB442B3-D7B6-4A7F-9338-5339F0567799.jpeg.08db7e6387fab31d81bd91c92f1b1159.jpeg

35823334-390C-447E-9EFA-8541CDC41C5A.jpeg.5552dd05d17745a408e1e6919ea5fa03.jpeg

^
How I have the newstyle seals mounted on my original 89 ones