Streaming tv

Chad R

I use a roku, I downloaded pluto TV, roku TV, they are both free. It will depend on what you are looking to watch. Also check with your phone provider, a lot of times they can get you a premium channel for "free".

We have a bunch of them. Really depends on what you're after.   HBO is one I use a lot. Decent amount of movies and shows. Disney is a must if you have kids, since disney owns so much you get Marvel, star wars and some other things so not just Mickey mouse crap. Redbull TV I watch a lot and it's free. Netflix is ok, they have some really good shows and tons of other just $#!& ones. Hulu is meh, think the biggest win is they have a good amount of cartoons, good for me and the kids.  Paramount isn't too bad but not a lot of new content. They do have a bunch of old nickoloden cartoons and some other decent things. Since they own cbs you get some of those shoes and the occasional sports. Prime is nice since it's more than just streaming. They have some good shows and movies. 

we have PBS and Dis+/espn+/hulu, but most everything I personally watch is on regular ol' youtube.  don't really watch much of the corporate tv anymore.  :dunno: ('cept for starwars and marvel stuff)  I'm watching a thing on the Battleship New Jersey and its many bags of loose keys as I type this. :D 

39 minutes ago, Pete M said:

we have PBS and Dis+/espn+/hulu, but most everything I personally watch is on regular ol' youtube.  don't really watch much of the corporate tv anymore.  :dunno: ('cept for starwars and marvel stuff)  I'm watching a thing on the Battleship New Jersey and its many bags of loose keys as I type this. :D 

Has Hulu jacked up the price since you signed up or has it stayed the same

we have a package deal with the 3 and yes it went up a bit.  I should specify that it's not the live hulu.  that's a lot more. 

but the starwars/marvel shows plus most all the Tigers and Red Wings games are alone worth the bill, and the rest is just bonus. :D  (don't tell Disney I said that or they might jack it up again  :peep:)

My family ditched cable back when I was 9 or so...just did a lot of rentals at blockbuster or other local video stores.  When the internet came about, it was natural to just move to that...subscribing only to channels we actually cared about.

When I bought my house, I made the conscious decision to not have a TV in the main living room area, but instead invest in a more comfortable movie room for when we want to watch movies.  I find my attention gravitating towards movement on a screen if it's left on so I prefer my screen time to be more intentional.

Right now we have the following subscriptions:

- Youtube Premium (I watch a lot of youtube during the day or have it going as background sometimes and I loathe ads)

- Crunchyroll (My wife and I are both lightweight anime nerds)

- Disney+ (toddler stuff, star wars, marvel)

- Netflix (Included with our cell phone plan...we watch only an occasional show on here...in the middle of re-watching New Girl now)

We used to have hulu, funimation and hidive and have had a few others here and there but we usually just subscribe for a specific thing and if we aren't using the service, we just cancel.  I buy more shows to own but don't keep monthly stuff around unless I'm actively watching something on it and using it.  

I have Hulu live tv, Netflix, Disney+, espn+, Apple TV, Peacock, and Paramount+. The last two I only have so I can watch Premier League and Champions league ️.

I get overwhelmed with all of the streaming apps sometimes and often find myself googling which one has the movie/show/sport I’m trying to watch :laugh::doh: 

I would look into the bundles Hulu does with Disney and espn. 

Have heard good things about YouTube tv, but I have yet to try that one. 

I'm a nerd so I have a small server in my "Nerd closet" that has a Over the Air HD antennae receiver in it, running a Plex server.

Plex is cool because if you run a plex sever at home, you can store all of your music files, home videos, pictures on it then watch them over the web, or on your Roku or any "smart "device that has the Plex app. 

The Plex app is cool because it has a bunch of free streaming channels, AMC, PBS, etc. The Plex app is free but there is a subscription service, that unless you run the server at home (you don't have to run a server), probably isn't worth the monthly fee, however every 3-4 months there is a "lifetime Plex pass" offer for $100., which I bought.

Since the over the air antennae requires the Plex pass to function, the onetime fee was well worth it.

I still get my local news channels, and a bunch of other random channels over the antennae (OTA), which was all we were watching with our Comcast subscription ($127. month) so the lifetime Plex pass has paid for itself.

Another bonus with the OTA and the local plex server was the other day our internet went out, but our power stayed on, so we were still able to watch TV using OTA.

If you are tech savvy Plex is a great way to cut the cord.

Besides Plex, I also subscribe to Disney/Hulu, Netflix, etc as shows we are interested are available, all on a Roku device.

It took a minute to get used to the new way of watching but after a few weeks we got used to it around here, and I can spend that $127 a month on old Jeepy!!

It seams like Hulu keeps coming up with most post will have to check into that. 

1 hour ago, sammisox said:

I have Hulu live tv, Netflix, Disney+, espn+, Apple TV, Peacock, and Paramount+. The last two I only have so I can watch Premier League and Champions league ️.

I get overwhelmed with all of the streaming apps sometimes and often find myself googling which one has the movie/show/sport I’m trying to watch :laugh::doh: 

I would look into the bundles Hulu does with Disney and espn. 

Have heard good things about YouTube tv, but I have yet to try that one. 

How long have you had hulu live?

19 minutes ago, Chad R said:

It seams like Hulu keeps coming up with most post will have to check into that. 

How long have you had hulu live?

I’ve had it for about two years. I don’t have many gripes about it other than the way the menus are set up is kinda ugly/not as user friendly as it could be. But once you have it for a while it’s no big deal

40 minutes ago, sammisox said:

I’ve had it for about two years. I don’t have many gripes about it other than the way the menus are set up is kinda ugly/not as user friendly as it could be. But once you have it for a while it’s no big deal

Has the price stayed close to what you started off with so far.  I have dish and contract is up and they are sticking it to me

For sheer content to $ Value, Discovery+ is a steal, check it out.

In my opinion the best streaming appliance is any Roku device. All streaming platforms seem to have a "channel" (What they call apps) on Roku, and the thing can be connected to any HDMI t.v. or monitor. 

Smart T.v.s are ok but can be slow, or run out of ram (important when streaming).

12 hours ago, Chad R said:

I have had satellite so long between dish and direct it’s hard to give up but getting tired of there B.S.  Just trying to figure out what service of streaming is the best fit

you can start streaming before you cut the cord.  :L:  that way you know exactly what you're in for, but still have your regular stuff available.