240z

eaglescout526

Anyone want to me to document this car? Its my sisters and I told her I could put in on CC to document what we have done but I figured I’d see if there is a general interest in the old “Z”‘s that would be interested in seeing what I’ll be doing to get the little car back on the road. Already put new tires on and it and it doesn’t have spark. 

Let me know if y’all want to see me document it or not. 

I think people wanted to see my '75 Bricklin SV-1. So, I'm sure they would want to see a Datsun 240D, or even a Fair Lady. Cars are cars and Trucks are trucks. Sometimes we can pick up techniques from other's issues. 

'A Wise Man learns from his mistakes,

A Sage learns from others,

A Fool never learns, and deserves to drive a Yugo'

• 2 weeks later...

Please. I'd love to see that car. Back in the early 90s I helped a buddy fully restore a '71 240z. He sold it afterward for 15k, 1993 price. He managed to get in touch with some old Datsun gearheads at Nissan in Japan that spoke English and explained what he was doing. They sent him a full set of NOS body badges. At the end, the head had been extensively worked, outfitted with huge valves, triple 2-barrel side draft (Mikuni or Weber, can't remember) carbs, a cam from Schneider (don't recall specs at all) and full exhaust system by Ansa. Engine dynoed 304HP flywheel. Interior was showroom quality. Hidden reliability upgrades to (especially interior) wiring. I've seen this pic used on Craigslist for 'WTB Datsun 240' ads and I think it's the actual car in the image. I rode with him before the interior was in it, sat on a toolbox on the passenger side. That thing was so fast and squirrely I thought I was going to die lol.

00Z0Z_lU3iLOeuuFTz_0ak07K_300x300.jpg.2ea21fb975aff142577f7f6b5276ef7e.jpg

I’ll start a thread and take some pics. The car is in nice shape and needs to be put inside but it seems like my grandfather was smart about this car and got parts and pieces for it to bring it back to its glory. It’s white with the blue interior from which I have seen is iconic to the Z line. 

Most of you probably don't recognize my name.  I used to frequent this site a lot but life sort of got in the way, but I still troll the site from time to time.   I was a little surprised to run across this post on a comanche forum.  I own 2 240z cars (ok actually 3 depending on how you count).

I don't know if you have been keeping track but these cars have really gone up in value in the last 7-8 years.  The worst thing you can do to the car is put a different engine in it. It would probably drop the value of the by half.  In its factory form, it is still good for 120mph which is plenty fast.   Depending on the year of the car, a 5 speed can go in pretty easily but the sheet metal around the transmission tunnel will cause problems and the center console will no longer fit.  Just an FYI.

Oh, and one thing.  I don't know how much you know about 240z but contrary to popular belief, they do not rust.  Not at all.  Comanche rusts.  280z rusts.  240z rots. Like a wet box of tissues left in a rainstorm.  My first car as a kid was a '73 240z.  I bought it used in '79.  When I bought it, the car should have been scrap metal but I didnt know any better.  Frame, floorboards, rear quarters, front fenders and the rockers.  The hood and the roof were fine though.  :)

I also have a v8 powered f150 raptor (the original version).  Losers will drive up beside me on dual lane highways and then tromp the accelerator pedal as they have something to prove.  I get the same thing from my 240z.

If it were mine, depending on it's condition, I would leave it stock and I would not let it get wet.  Best of luck! :)

3 hours ago, glundblad said:

was a little surprised to run across this post on a comanche forum.  I own 2 240z cars

Yeah I’m gonna be working on it and didn’t know if there was an interest in the poor man’s Porsche. I will do a thread over the weekend as I’ll be tearing into my T/A for gaskets. 

I don't know if you have been keeping track but these cars have really gone up in value in the last 7-8 years.  The worst thing you can do to the car is put a different engine in it. It would probably drop the value of the by half.  In its factory form, it is still good for 120mph which is plenty fast.   Depending on the year of the car, a 5 speed can go in pretty easily but the sheet metal around the transmission tunnel will cause problems and the center console will no longer fit.  Just an FYI.

Oh I know. My grandfather preached about how this car is worth a lot of money. I know my sister won’t sell it and I told her it has to absolutely stay stock. I have read that a 5speed from a 280 should fit fine without any modifications to the floor pan but that was a while ago before actually starting this project. But for right now it has to be able to get spark and the fuel tank has to be dropped and cleaned. 

Oh, and one thing.  I don't know how much you know about 240z but contrary to popular belief, they do not rust.  Not at all.  Comanche rusts.  280z rusts.  240z rots. Like a wet box of tissues left in a rainstorm.  My first car as a kid was a '73 240z.  I bought it used in '79.  When I bought it, the car should have been scrap metal but I didnt know any better.  Frame, floorboards, rear quarters, front fenders and the rockers.  The hood and the roof were fine though.  :)

Funny you mention this as I can’t find any rust anywhere except for some light damage at the tail pipe to the body and the interior beneath the hatch where the seal for the window is missing due to it having failed years ago but it’s just surface. From what I can tell though, I don’t see any other issues with this car other than not starting and electrical. 

It really is. I didn’t get a chance to work on it as I keep forgetting it’s got a camper shell on it to protect the rest of the car. Main goal is to figure out why it’s not creating a spark. It does seem to spark and I don’t want to have my sister throw money at the ignition system like a new coil until I can figure out if that’s the problem or not. 

• 1 month later...

I’ll create a separate thread this weekend but I figured I’d post that I got the ignition system working and it’s sparking. Apparently there was enough corrosion on the ballast to not let it spark. Soooo I dunked it in muriatic acid to get the crap off and now it’s sparking. Dumped some fuel in where I could and it sputtered and started. 

Good news.

The 240Z is old enough that things wee basically "standard" -- no fuel injection, crankshaft position sensors, MAP sensors, idle air controllers or any of that to worry about.

My roommate in school had one. He crashed it within a few months of buying it (new -- that's how old I am), and had it completely rebuilt with an SCCA competition-oriented suspension. My brother drove it after the rebuild and reported that it understeered terribly. I drove it five minutes later and in my opinion it oversteered terribly.

I sold mine to a poor unfortunate sole while I was in high school.  Then one came up for sale locally. I test drove it with a friend of mind.  I couldnt believe how fast that car was especially compared to others I have driven previously.  I hit 70mph in 2nd gear and chirped going into third.  No z car I have owned since was nearly as fast.