Engine Replacement Must Do's?

I finally decided to bite the bullet and replace my engine due to it suddenly consuming a lot of oil (3 quarts every month of daily driving). 

I am planning on painting the engine bay, replacing the water pump, and replacing the outer seals on my transmission. 

I was wondering if there was anything else I should replace or do while the engine is out?

I'd replace the harmonic balance , possibly the timing chain and front seal. Also, with 'Blow-by', I have found the valve cover seal plays a part in it. Also, I'd do the Cruiser 54 modifications to the oil towers in the valve cover. I use the Felpro silicone valve cover gasket. 

I know it is bad rings/cylinders the crank case is highly pressurized it even blows oil out the dipstick at times, this thing has 225k miles and was absolutely abused by previous owners. The amount of sludge and garbage I found in the oil pan and pickup was absurd. The engine feels anemic even after I re-geared to 4.56. I will check compression numbers for everyone's curiosity when I get home, but I have already ordered a new engine from JEGS. 

Surprising results for the compression tests, 120 - 135 on all cylinders cold. Don't have the tools for a leak down test so I guess I will never know. Maybe tolerances loosen up when it gets hot?

Found some serious white buildup on my #1 spark plug, and light buildup on the rest. Only thing I could think that caused that was my throttle position sensor was broken/stuck for the better part of a year (minimal driving) which caused the computer to try and run the engine WOT when the throttle was closed.

So looks like new wires and plugs for the new engine. Rotor cap and coil are already newish (2 years old). Good call on the CPS mine is a bit crusty from close encounters with the exhaust manifold.

spark plug.jpg

A warm engine typically has higher compression numbers due to the differences in the coefficient between the cylinder walls and the piston and rings material. With those plugs, I’d be looking more into a cylinder head issue though. Pull the head and see what it all looks like then go from there.