Ford

neohic

Boy… Ford has really been swing for the fences lately. While the Bronco deliveries have been getting pushed back, I’ve been seeing more abs more of the Bronco Sports running around my area. THEN the Lightning debut?! I was impressed. NOW the Maverick debut tomorrow?!

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/amp36609056/2022-ford-maverick-debut-teaser/

It’s about time someone jumped on that bandwagon to think up a unibody small pickup, eh? :roflmao: Way to go, Ford! Nice to see an domestic auto manufacturer trying to move forward and not just stuff V8s in everything. 

They need to make a two door with the same body length as the four door. 7’ bed at least. Make it useful.

But it doesn’t seem like anybody wants useful trucks. 

I want another 92 long bed MJ like the one I had minus the rust.

Somewhat surprised none of the Big 3 had done this yet with Americans' unquenchable thirst for SUVs and pickups. Honda has had reasonable success with the Ridgeline, more so now since they accepted consumers would never consider any Honda a "truck" and came out with the more refined model currently on the road. But I'm guessing many Americans will see a Ford badge and subconsciously consider it more of a truck than they ever would have a Ridgeline. I'm not a blue oval fan, but I would agree they are swinging for the fences with lots of new vehicles and a huge commitment to electric. Good for competition and hopefully good for us consumers. 

The thing that interested me the most was the hauling and towing capacities. 1500lbs in the bed, and up to 4000lbs towing if configured properly. Compare that to the Comanche ratings, and the lack of a proper bed, and I cannot say I am not a little disappointed.

However, I am glad someone is trying to make small trucks again. Trucks feel too big these days.

I read an article that it was a Hybrid, and getting 40 MPG. Unibody construction. HMM, very AMC of them. The bed does look better than the one of Ford recent offerings in the Explorer line. 

Hyundai is doing the same thing. The Santa Cruz pickup has been in the works for a few years. It appears to be a similar setup as this Maverick and it isnt bad looking. I actually had a maverick 25 years or so ago. I bought it as a winter beater in Michigan. Other than the rust and a minor fender bender by the previous owner, it was a really clean low milage $350 car. 250 inline 6, C4 auto, 9" rear end. I had a car pull out in front of me and I T-boned them. Bad thing too was I was on a restricted license because of too many speeding tickets. The cop couldnt figure out whos fault it was, so no tickets were issued, lucky me, even though it wasnt my fault. It was a weird situation with a paved shoulder for passing, a school bus stopped turning left and a third car sitting at a stop sign that got hit by the car that I hit. Sorry, I got off on a tangent. Being a hybrid, this Maverick is something I may consider in the future, though Ill never get rid of my Comanche, so I probably won't ever need another truck.

8 hours ago, Pete M said:

I see tiny beds and all I can think about is the loss of interior space a comparable sized SUV would have given me. :dunno: but they are popular, there's no denying it... 

I see a good little parts runner. Even a full size Ram 1500 four door has, what… 5’7” bed? Not sure if I agree with the Maverick name. Ford missed the boat with “Ranchero”. What if this is the next big thing to come back around? Dodge Rampage? Subaru Brat? Volkswagen Caddy?

Bring it on. :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

This is the first Raiders Edition built by Maxlider Brothers Customs, in which tuners enhance the Bronco's off-road performance. It includes, for example, differential locks and 17-inch wheels, as well as 35-inch mud tires. The SUV is powered by the Bronco's standard 2.7-liter V6 EcoBoost. It is mated to a 10-speed automatic transmission and a standard AWD system. However, the tuners additionally equipped the Bronco with new suspension components that increase ground clearance by 100 millimeters and reinforced control arms. In addition, the SUV received an original grill, a power front bumper, and LED signature lighting. In addition, the body of the Bronco Raiders Edition was decorated with unusual coloring.ford-bronco-raiders-edition.jpg.33a3aeec6b71fb8d460934f02dc8386f.jpgraiders-ford-bronco.jpg.c4e2e4c0c55b34343d3da130283db5c7.jpgRaiders_Bronco01.jpg.d6ae27d8a5b90f261c9b7daede64a908.jpg

As for the tiny bed, with the tailgate down and one of the flip over dividers, it would be 6 ft or so. Then with the tailgate down, does a sheet of OBS or drywall board OK? I see it as a multi purpose vehicle. So, some limitations. 

1 hour ago, 75sv1 said:

As for the tiny bed, with the tailgate down and one of the flip over dividers, it would be 6 ft or so. Then with the tailgate down, does a sheet of OBS or drywall board OK? I see it as a multi purpose vehicle. So, some limitations. 

Right? The RAM 1500 four door truck have something like a 5’7” bed. That’s considered “full size”?!

6 hours ago, neohic said:

Right? The RAM 1500 four door truck have something like a 5’7” bed. That’s considered “full size”?!

A Full Size Bed should be 8 ft. Enough to carry a 4'x8' sheet of OBS. I will agree the Maverick does not have a full sized bed. Still, the Comanche has a 7.5 ft. So, not full sized. So, I had to either angle the sheets or drop the tail gate. My MJ doesn't get 40 mpg. So, I do see trade offs. How many Full Size Picks running around hualing air? 

• 2 weeks later...

I dunno, got mixed feelings on the Bronco. I like the attempt, major hang-up is the I.S. front and rear.  Even with all the gizmo's still don't think it can out perform live axles. Sorta reminds me of a giant kia/toyota FJ cruiser with better  field of view..

Folks seem to be hoping for better build quality from ford over the JK.

31 minutes ago, War_Pony89 said:

I dunno, got mixed feelings on the Bronco. I like the attempt, major hang-up is the I.S. front and rear.  Even with all the gizmo's still don't think it can out perform live axles. Sorta reminds me of a giant kia/toyota FJ cruiser with better  field of view..

Folks seem to be hoping for better build quality from ford over the JK.

The rear is a solid axle with coil springs.

The smaller Bronco Sport is just a re-bodied Escape with a car suspension.  Totally different vehicle.

The new Bronco looks like it has potential once they get production figured out.