The Jeep homestead

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Not much new again. Been busy with life and work. I did start something the wife and I spoke about in the winter. We wanted to start a garden and I suggested the front walkway.

IMG_9700.jpg.4b92b54873c9d203b50866fbf4e181ff.jpg

So here we are. Brick from my grandparents before the moved to separate the impurities and gravel and an hour of moving gravel to uncover the dirt and get it all prepped and ready. Now we just need to buy some soil and plants to plant there. We are thinking some flowers and food producing plants.

• 4 weeks later...

I. Hate. Pool. Stuff. Course half of it is my fault I screwed up the threads on the motor shaft. Never fails. But I found a pool pump repair shop today. They hooked me up with a used motor shaft for $25. Sweet deal. Lubed up the bearings and threw the motor back together. Put it back to the filter assembly and 5 minutes later in primed! Yay. Oh hey is that water coming from the shaft area? Dammit…motor comes out again, remove impeller to find I put the spring seal on back wards. Ok fixed that, put it back together. 15 minutes later I’m primed again and running. Oh hey there’s a water fountain coming out of the pump to housing crack. F—-. Motor comes out of housing again. Remove giant O-ring, clean it, lube it, put it back together. Third times the charm aaaaaand we are still running. Feels good to have that done. Now I gotta figure out why the pool light keeps tripping the GFI. Oh also my father helped me install a light in the parts room so now it doesn’t look like I’m off to the mines every time. 

• 4 weeks later...

Bet not many of ya can say you robbed an AC unit for its blower assembly to throw in their garage for circulation.  

00A8064F-9A00-449D-ABFF-CA6E3E53000F.jpeg.ba08e817e370b17f12a0007987aff0dc.jpeg

Also up next will be a new kitchen sink as I am about ready to throw the poorly installed and assembled sink out into the back yard. Which will end up being used as an outdoor sink for the outdoor kitchen. 

On 6/23/2022 at 2:02 AM, eaglescout526 said:

I. Hate. Pool. Stuff. Course half of it is my fault I screwed up the threads on the motor shaft. Never fails. But I found a pool pump repair shop today. They hooked me up with a used motor shaft for $25. Sweet deal. Lubed up the bearings and threw the motor back together. Put it back to the filter assembly and 5 minutes later in primed! Yay. Oh hey is that water coming from the shaft area? Dammit…motor comes out again, remove impeller to find I put the spring seal on back wards. Ok fixed that, put it back together. 15 minutes later I’m primed again and running. Oh hey there’s a water fountain coming out of the pump to housing crack. F—-. Motor comes out of housing again. Remove giant O-ring, clean it, lube it, put it back together. Third times the charm aaaaaand we are still running. Feels good to have that done. Now I gotta figure out why the pool light keeps tripping the GFI. Oh also my father helped me install a light in the parts room so now it doesn’t look like I’m off to the mines every time. 

Generally the light is leaking. Gasket on mounting flange. I do pool stuff and like have access to parts as well. :wink: changed out a liner today. 

IMG_20220718_101946727.jpg

13 minutes ago, MiNi Beast said:

Generally the light is leaking. Gasket on mounting flange. I do pool stuff and like have access to parts as well. :wink: changed out a liner today.

We thought of this and you could be right….but we don’t know. I did fix the pool light though. It was half submerged with water. It’s weird I put the lamp back together how I found it but apparently it wasn’t the right way so I put the gasket on with the lamp housing and it’s been fine since. 

22 hours ago, eaglescout526 said:

Bet not many of ya can say you robbed an AC unit for its blower assembly to throw in their garage for circulation.  

00A8064F-9A00-449D-ABFF-CA6E3E53000F.jpeg.ba08e817e370b17f12a0007987aff0dc.jpeg

Back in the day every tech in the shop had one. Now there's only 2 left out there.

• 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, Pete M said:

no pics? 

Now there is. Lol. 

So here’s the sink, it’s got one tank that is bigger and another that’s more meant for rinsing. The wife really loves this and I let her pic it out. We can thank my grandmother for giving us some money for improvements.  And the wife even picked out one of those cup cleaners and its a really cool piece and I will admit, she won this set up. Hahah. 

CC6B4795-D00F-4794-BF86-CB59C839077A.jpeg.ea5f6dab510e10ab7ba0123dd244840d.jpeg

It took quite a while longer to install something so simple. But that’s ok. Ran into a couple issues along the way. Couldn’t get the hot water completely off, got all the hoses on and we couldn’t get any hot water at all lol. So my father and I sat for about 20 min figuring it out and we got water to come out the actual valve but not the hoses. So I told my dad that the grommet in the valve probably disintegrated and is causing no water flow. Luckily I had rebuilt the style I’ve valve that it is before and decided to rebuild it and clean everything at the valve out. Got everything buttoned up and we have hot water. Not sure what the problem still was but hey. Even hooked the cup cleaner to the hot water. 

Now the under carriage. 

63BE8C95-C9D6-4459-AA49-82646D1D1974.jpeg.923b10c0f00b242a282737176179d4c6.jpeg

So this started as a “I’ll just clean underneath here and put everything back” to a “let’s do it right”. So what I did was take a putty knife and scraped all the uneven surfaces from the water damage that had happened from prior leaks and I used the left over paint that came with the house(white in colour) and painted the bottom so it would seal and look nice and not cause any further damage if any other leaks. Then I put down some vinyl floor pieces I had and put those down too to make it look nice. 

Oh I also forgot that I didn’t post anything about how I painted a section of my fence for a white screen for the projector the wife and I got as a wedding gift. And it didn’t kill off all the white paint. Haha. 

On 7/18/2022 at 6:45 PM, JMO413 said:

Back in the day every tech in the shop had one. Now there's only 2 left out there.

We have 3 in ours, only 2 currently wired for the outlet and in use. They have a high and a low setting just depending on which wires you use, and one used to run on the low setting but randomly started smoking than turned off one day:laugh:but the high wire still worked so :dunno:

• 5 months later...

Yall ever have a moment with your wife or other and they drag you to the appliance section of say Best Buy and look at dishwashers? Few days later same appliance you looked at fails? Yeah had that last night. Tore the dishwasher apart and found the problem. The bi-metal or fuse is what they should call it went bad and thus I ended up with a dead control panel to the dishwasher. So a new one is on the way. I verified the issue with both a multimeter by following the service papers instructions and i put a 5 amp ATO fuse to further confirm the issue. Fun stuff!