how to part out a truck

Jesse J

My friend totalled his 87 suburban about 2 months ago running into a pole if you must know. And no one is going to buy it so I am trying to help/convince him to part out. And neither I nor him have ever done that so there might be some logistical issues. What do you do with the carcass once it's parted out? and what chevy forums or other places do you suggest we sell the parts too? what parts would be especially valuable to sell? any idea what we will get out of it?

https://cars.ksl.com/listing/6984622 for more pictures

burban.jpg

betterburb.jpg

Number 1 thing... Do you have a place to park it in pieces over a 2 month period? If not do you have a shed or something to store pieces you think will sell. If the answer to those 2 things is no then you do not have what you need to part it out. 

If the answer is yes then list it as parting out on KSL and Chevy forums. The expensive stuff like the engine, axles, transfer case, transmission, can be listed separate. If you need to junk it at the end then you either need to have buyer lined up for the shell or be able to haul it away. 

Honestly I'd see how fixable it is first.  It doesn't look too bad really.  I see frame damage is mentioned in the KSL post, see what a frame shop would charge to straighten it.  There is also always the chain and a tree method since it still runs!

If it ends up getting parted out, as mentioned just post it up on craigslist or Facebook for parts.  Whatever is valuable or can be easily removed and shipped you can list on eBay as individual parts.  Something like this shouldn't be too hard to part out if the parts are priced decently.  Once done, call around to junkyards as some will pay you and come to take the vehicle.  A yard local to me will pay based on the weight if the vehicle on the title, doesn't matter if it's completely stripped or not and will come get it.  You just have to have the title in hand or no junkyard can take the carcass. 

I've always loved these old square bodies and wouldn't mind buying this one to work on but you are just too far away.

ok thanks for the suggestion. I definetly need to talk to him about fixing it maybe. He really like this truck and want's another 7th gen burb. we will see if it happens. I think he just needs to get as much cash as he can from it and then buy a new project for a wheeler. He has expressed intrest in an fsj or a ramcharger

So you can either just scrap it whole (places that buy junk cars or junkyards) and get a few hundred maybe. Other wise I'd pull the engine, all the TBI stuff, tranny and tcase, then scrap the rest. I believe on a 87 it would have a 700r5 and 241, both are decent. Axels will depend, doesn't look to be FF 14b rear so really not worth anything. With the TBI stuff you can sell that on eBay or local. When I had one of my K5's I picked up a TBI from the JY and then sold it after I sold my K5. I think I got $300ish for it. As torq mentioned gotta have somewhere to keep parts.

picknpull says they will take it for 107 if the entire driveline is gone and they interior is missing and with the damage and everything. don't have a way to pull the engine right now but we can pull the trans and tcase. I talked to him this morning and said anyone who buys your truck want's the barn doors or something and then they will part it out themselves and that pushed him closer. I think he is just anxious about the time it's going to take. I think a day of work and we can mostly get it stripped especially the interior. do people want tbi stuff? it seems undesirable and I personally would rather have a carb or actual fuel injection

To many people, fuel injection is an upgrade.  And the old Chevy TBI system has a ton of support for adapting it to other engines.

After living with carburetors for years, the first thing I do when thinking about an older vehicle is what I need to do to get some kind of fuel injection on it.  When it comes to cold starts and being able to handle altitude changes going up in the mountains, it's near impossible to beat fuel injection.

When you pull it, make sure you take the entire wiring harness intact from the computer to the engine to the transmission.  Don't cut any wires if you can help it.  It's a pain to be careful like that but the intact harness is worth a whole lot more than a cut one.

If you grab everything (computer, wiring, throttle body, distributor) you can probably ask $500 on craigslist/ksl and then bargain down from there.  Hose off any grease and take a bunch of pictures when you post it.  And make sure you post the picture of the computer with the part number (on a sticker on the outside I think?) because there are several different ones used over the years.

are there any parts that might be worth something that I am not thinking about? thinking all the tbi stuff, trans, t case, interior?, those rear barn doors, radiator(he has a preformance one) glass?, seats. they are only 10 bolt axles so they aren't to valuable. they might have different gears in them because it was a mud truck at some point. 

2 hours ago, Jesse J said:

do people want tbi stuff?

Absolutely, fairly bolt in for anyone with a carb that doesn't want to mess around with an aftermarket setup and way cheaper too. As Derf said tons of aftermarket to add it to other engines. 

Just now, Smokeyyank said:

Absolutely, fairly bolt in for anyone with a carb that doesn't want to mess around with an aftermarket setup and way cheaper too. As Derf said tons of aftermarket to add it to other engines. 

huh cool. what all pieces for that should we get rid of?

3 minutes ago, Jesse J said:

huh cool. what all pieces for that should we get rid of?

I can't remember everything but; TBI, manifold, entire harness, ECU, I know there are some sensors as well. Should be able to google it and get a detailed list. 

11 hours ago, Dzimm said:

Honestly I'd see how fixable it is first.  It doesn't look too bad really.  I see frame damage is mentioned in the KSL post, see what a frame shop would charge to straighten it.  There is also always the chain and a tree method since it still runs!

I

the frame is about 6" out of wack both up and in.  and we tried the tree method to no avail.

1 minute ago, Smokeyyank said:

I can't remember everything but; TBI, manifold, entire harness, ECU, I know there are some sensors as well. Should be able to google it and get a detailed list. 

ok cool thanks!

1 hour ago, Jesse J said:

well we where going to get the transfer case but it decided to rain overnight and during so we where laying in the mud for 2 hours and only got one bolt out. any advice? tomorrow is supposed to be warmer

Check this out for removing screws or even bolts probably!

9 hours ago, 89 MJ said:

Check this out for removing screws or even bolts probably!

OK, I have to admit - this got a belly laugh out of me. And I'm not a "belly laugh at things on the internet" kind of guy.

My number 1 rule is the Hell with corporate yards if at all possible. I always try to deal with the independent and buy American if there is a choice. The big non corporate yards usually pay more for part rigs and corporate yards usually hit you more cause there is a middle man tow service getting a kickback. I take my time and haul it in pieces as prices are best to do so on each particular metal. I also consider what small maw and paw buyers I pull and buy from. It's a give and take scenario.  

after nine hours in the beautiful sunshine we finally got the t case and the trans out! it went about as hard as normal. he has someone pulling the motor today and a buyer lined up for the entire back half of his truck.