San Diego Stuff?

Smokeyyank

Planned a family trip next month to San Diego. Going with another family as well but no real agenda other than the Zoo and possibly Legoland. Will be out there for 5 days.  Was wondering if there are any hidden gems or tricks for getting around to stuff? 

I lived in Orange County (between LA and San Diego) for a while.  I never really found any hidden gems.  But I did learn that when it came time to driving in rush hour, plan extra time for varying traffic.  You may or may not need it.  And be flexible in your plans accordingly.

Everyone talks about In-N-Out burgers and they're good.  But I also like Fatburger as well.  They don't get as much good press as In-N-Out  If you find yourself near either one, it's worth a shot for lunch.

15 minutes ago, Smokeyyank said:

Cool thanks. Had In-n-Out few years ago in LA. It was decent still don't understand the hype. 

Yeah, it's better than McDonald's by a long shot.  But it's still just a fast food burger.

We're getting them here.  One is open in Aurora, one just opened by Park Meadows, and they're building one down in Castle Rock by the outlet mall.  I think there's one down at least down in CO Springs.

The Maritime museum was cool - some old ships including the ship they built to film Mater and Commander, and I believe two submarines you can go on.  They also have a boat tour of the bay.

The USS Midway is cool if you like that kind of thing.

Cabrillo National Monument is a good place for a short hike with good views.  If the weathers good it's a nice lunch spot (bring your own).

28 minutes ago, Pete M said:

is legoland... open?

It is but limited 

17 minutes ago, oldmanche said:

The Maritime museum was cool - some old ships including the ship they built to film Mater and Commander, and I believe two submarines you can go on.  They also have a boat tour of the bay.

The USS Midway is cool if you like that kind of thing.

Cabrillo National Monument is a good place for a short hike with good views.  If the weathers good it's a nice lunch spot (bring your own).

Cool thanks for the info. 

Lived in san Diego 22 yrs.

Depending where you are staying go eat some tacos at tacos el gordo near chula vista or tj tacos in escondido if you are in north county

Grab some more mexican food at casa machado on montgomery field ONLY IF YOU CAN DINE IN.

legoland, seaworld, zoo, safari park, belmont park, balboa park, gaslamp district, coronado, old military tours like above mentioned, old town.

Ocotillo wells for desert fun, anza borrego for high desert and giant metal structures,

Julian for apple pie,

Beaches of course. Let me know if you need more haha

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

On 3/9/2021 at 2:09 PM, derf said:

Yeah, it's better than McDonald's by a long shot.  But it's still just a fast food burger.

We're getting them here.  One is open in Aurora, one just opened by Park Meadows, and they're building one down in Castle Rock by the outlet mall.  I think there's one down at least down in CO Springs.

Y'all need Whataburger...

3 minutes ago, Torq_Shep said:

:roflmao:

There's a reason In-N-Out is expanding everywhere and Whataburger isn't...  :P

I mean, In-N-Out expanded into Texas and has long lines at the drive through.  Whataburger only has long lines because of its other name.... Waitanhour.

1 hour ago, Comanche SS said:

Lived in san Diego 22 yrs.

Depending where you are staying go eat some tacos at tacos el gordo near chula vista or tj tacos in escondido if you are in north county

Grab some more mexican food at casa machado on montgomery field ONLY IF YOU CAN DINE IN.

legoland, seaworld, zoo, safari park, belmont park, balboa park, gaslamp district, coronado, old military tours like above mentioned, old town.

Ocotillo wells for desert fun, anza borrego for high desert and giant metal structures,

Julian for apple pie,

Beaches of course. Let me know if you need more haha

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Awesome! Thanks for the info. Look like we are going to be staying in mission beach. Originally had thought about oceanside but plan changed. 

14 hours ago, derf said:

:roflmao:

There's a reason In-N-Out is expanding everywhere and Whataburger isn't...  :P

I mean, In-N-Out expanded into Texas and has long lines at the drive through.  Whataburger only has long lines because of its other name.... Waitanhour.

In-n-out is in Texas because all the Californians are moving there lol. I’m from Austin originally and the influx of Californians over the last few years was quite large. I didn’t mind in-n-out but it wasn’t anything special. I do appreciate anyplace that can deliver a consistent experience though. Heck even McDonalds is from Cali. 

14 hours ago, Torq_Shep said:

Never was a fan of whataburger. But I’ll take a spicy chopped breakfast taco from Rudy’s every day. I felt like whataburger always covers over their burgers with so many extras but the fundamentals of a good pattie just aren’t there. Have plenty of friends who love it though

8 minutes ago, Smokeyyank said:

When I need a quick burger fix I'll go to Good Times. They are only in CO but delicious. Otherwise 5 guys. May have to try whataburger though. 

I like Good Times for a "fast" burger that's better than the other chains.  5 Guys is good but not fast.  But it's just down the street so I go there too.

We're getting In-N-Out here, there's a couple open in the area (Aurora and by the mall down by I25/CO470) and they're building one across the highway from me by the outlet mall.  That will be a good go-to that's better than McDonald's/Burger King/Sonic as well.

Culver's is here as well and they have locations in a lot of states now.  They're a decent burger and their cheese curds are a good alternative to fries.

Whataburger is still only a regional chain that doesn't have any stores open here in CO.  They do make a good breakfast.  Their burgers have meat that's on par with McDonald's.  Their appeal is that they load them up with toppings that cover up the mediocre meat pretty well.

1 minute ago, derf said:

We're getting In-N-Out here, there's a couple open in the area and they're building one across the highway from me.  That will be a good go-to that's better than McDonald's/Burger King/Sonic as well.

same. crown burger in my town is my go to idk if they are in san diego though

4 hours ago, derf said:

Their appeal is that they load them up with toppings that cover up the mediocre meat pretty well.

10 hours ago, ghetdjc320 said:

I felt like whataburger always covers over their burgers with so many extras but the fundamentals of a good pattie just aren’t there

Great minds think alike