Snow Covered Mountains and Ice Covered Trees

Manche757

On 1/10/2021 at 7:43 PM, Manche757 said:

The silence from the guys in the Rockies, Canada and New England is deafening

New Hampshire checking in.  Not mountains, but there are some trees ... Couple years ago.  Snow happens here.

nhmj.jpg

nh.jpg

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, 87MJTIM said:

Does Canada use a lot of salt on the roads the way we do here in the south?

I'm sure it varies across the country and I'm guessing that in some areas very little is used.  We get our fair share here (about 50 mi. north of Toronto) but I understand they are starting to use more brine.   I've been told that it's worse!

Tried to add text but didn't work.

First photo is a couple of days ago.  View from my back yard.  2nd and 3rd are from snow shoeing near Pagosa Springs, CO a few years ago.l  4th is my back yard from when I lived in Denver a few years ago.

Some from on top of the mountain. 6D18869E-0A87-4FE1-9E17-07E08AFB0EB6.jpeg.95f1acc64d9faa858efb9e7331d89acb.jpeg

1E301FA5-5AD5-429F-AD61-BCF81C17CA17.jpeg.3e4852ff1aa549cc658893a7e46eb7fb.jpeg

D2B9CF91-3164-476A-AB32-CDC5FA71BFA5.jpeg.b60f17cf197c22141f74250128e621ac.jpeg

The best views unfortunately are looking south, straight into the sun. Impossible to capture on my phone.

4 hours ago, 87MJTIM said:

Does Canada use a lot of salt on the roads the way we do here in the south?

As was said, it depends on the area. Canada’s a very big country with varying terrain, climate, and policy.

Out east where the climate is more mild it’s common practice to have a “bare dry road” maintenance strategy, which means lots of salt. They get a bunch of snow, and temperatures not that far below freezing, it almost makes sense – they’d just end up a slushy disaster – but in my opinion it promotes failure to learn to drive in winter conditions.

On the prairies where I grew up, we don’t get so much snow but it’s much colder (-40 is the lower end of usual) and salt doesn’t do much, it gets kicked off the roads before it can dissolve into snow or ice, so policy is just to push snow into the ditches instead of melting it. There’s enough sun to warm the road surfaces and burn off what remains, even on a cold day, and we just get used to driving on compact snow and ice around town.

Here in the mountains the policy would be about the same as on the prairies, except for the fact that a lot of the roads don’t see sun due to said mountains. So they salt the crap out of the roads, which short-term mostly just gets kicked off and doesn’t do a ton, but eventually it might work. Mostly though it’s a grit mix with some salt added in which destroys paint and windshields. Just over the divide into BC they like to use a brine mix, which works better at coating the road and clearing ice buildup, but also has an effect of triggering frost accumulation when the road surface is below about 0°F, which makes things pretty slick until the air starts warming back up again.

...can you tell I work in road maintenance 😂

Around here they dump a liquid brine solution onto the road ahead of the snow if they can (and maybe during while they're plowing).  It does a decent job of not blowing away so it help keep the snow off the roads down here in the foothills.

I'm not sure what they do up in the mountains but they have some serious equipment to keep the roads to the ski resorts open.

I believe the Stanley Hotel was the location for the exterior scenes from the 1997 TV miniseries as well as Steven King's stay there an inspiration to write the novel The Shining.  Timberline Lodge at the base of Mt Hood in Oregon is the location for exterior scenes in the original 1980 movie.  I used to ski above a sea of clouds on Mt Hood back when I used to be an Oregonian.  Timberline Lodge is often nearly buried under snow in the winter.

On 1/15/2021 at 11:56 AM, rokinn said:

I believe the Stanley Hotel was the location for the exterior scenes from the 1997 TV miniseries as well as Steven King's stay there an inspiration to write the novel The Shining.  Timberline Lodge at the base of Mt Hood in Oregon is the location for exterior scenes in the original 1980 movie.  I used to ski above a sea of clouds on Mt Hood back when I used to be an Oregonian.  Timberline Lodge is often nearly buried under snow in the winter.

Thanks for pointing that out!

Haven’t had much snow for a while. It was a gorgeous day up at the hill on Friday, even though the snow conditions weren’t great. Pretty wind scoured and hard packed, good for straight line speed but not great for control at all. It’s all blown out of the trees, and the bare beetle-killed trees in the valley aren’t super attractive. 
Still have to wait for the sun to get higher in the sky for good photography looking south. But here’s a teaser from after the sun dropped below the peak, and an evening pano in the valley while standing on a lake.

477D9D4F-9CD9-4E1C-9BE3-D75CEA994C3F.jpeg

41062BC8-8F8B-40AA-A6BA-CFA99713F581.jpeg

Also, this is what most views looking south are like in photos right now. C4F70023-BFFC-41D2-B527-85A76C50D1FF.jpeg.7460923144694d9ad7471fe7c21dc87c.jpeg

This was early in the morning while the sun was still relatively low, but it really doesn’t climb much higher than that this time of year.

15 hours ago, gogmorgo said:

. But here’s a teaser from after the sun dropped below the peak, and an evening pano in the valley while standing on a lake.

477D9D4F-9CD9-4E1C-9BE3-D75CEA994C3F.jpeg

You actually live near Jasper NP?!  Many consider the Canadian Rockies to be the prettiest part of the Rockies.  I suppose that would be Jasper and Banff.

1 hour ago, Manche757 said:

You actually live near Jasper NP?!  Many consider the Canadian Rockies to be the prettiest part of the Rockies.  I suppose that would be Jasper and Banff.

Not near.

In.

It’s alright here, but I’m definitely a flatlander through and through and all the blocked out sky can get pretty claustrophobic at times. It’s also not at all a cheap place to live.

2 hours ago, Manche757 said:

Awesome view from the top of your workshop!

I’m up in the house when I take pictures of the mountain. My shop roofline is the cut off for holding my phone. :laugh:

29DF9B0D-0E5C-48AD-9EB2-A178045423ED.jpeg.a67edbb0588054f14a61be675984c70a.jpeg

Slight elevation change from one to the other. 

Edit: apologies for the lack of snow per the thread. Stock photo.