BSA members.

eaglescout526

7 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

It was a blast. Gave me the don't complain about how cold the water is card. We had to do a swim check up there and it was like jumping into a damn ice chest. Damn that sucks.

Too cold for me!  No way I'd do that polar plunge :bowdown:

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol all the others waters stopped being cold after that experience. Was probably the best trip of my scouting tenure. We actually did a swim check before leaving to avoid doing it up there but they made us anyways. Also met another scout(aside from those who were apart of the Alaskan council) who was from the Papago council down in Tucson who moved up to Alaska with his family. 

1 minute ago, eaglescout526 said:

Lol all the others waters stopped being cold after that experience. Was probably the best trip of my scouting tenure. We actually did a swim check before leaving to avoid doing it up there but they made us anyways. Also met another scout(aside from those who were apart of the Alaskan council) who was from the Papago council down in Tucson who moved up to Alaska with his family. 

Scouting overall was a fantastic experience.  Wouldn't give up a second of it.  I like how after the fact, no matter where you go, there seems to be an Eagle Scout.  There aren't that many of us, but it seems we tend to stick together lol.  In fact, the guy helping me repaint/restore my 87 Pioneer that is in the background of my profile pic is an Eagle Scout as well, he earned his in the 80's or 90's when he was living in California.

1 hour ago, eaglescout526 said:

Agreed and thats why I had to ask about everyone on here. Only 5% make it to eagle these days, but thats pretty awesome! I think my neighbor across the street was in the scouts for a little too. 

Yeah, I am surprised there are several on this page.  I assume that over the next couple days as people see the page they will comment that they have also been in the scouts.  It is always nice knowing someone who was in the scouts, you have friends wherever you go it seems like.

8 hours ago, kaidenlem said:

Hope ya make it man!  It is a lot of work that goes into the planning process, there are lots of hoops to jump through, but it'll all be worth it.  Keep pushing on!

Thank you! I am hoping to get the building part of the project done before my 17th Birthday. 

8 hours ago, eaglescout526 said:

It was a blast. Gave me the don't complain about how cold the water is card. We had to do a swim check up there and it was like jumping into a damn ice chest. Damn that sucks.

I couldn’t imagine that water. That would be awful. We went to Camp Parsons our on the Olympic Penninsula of WA and that water was freezing too. I’m sure it had nothing on Alaska though. 

I was in for a few years, my dad even led the troop for a couple years.  Got second in the pinewood derby.  Was quite fun but still need to google how to tie knots. :laugh:

I had a buddy for a couple years who finished as an eagle scout.  He actually lived through the 2008 tornado that went through the Little Sioux boy scout camp.  His best friend was one of the 4 killed.  Last year he moved to go to medical school, that day he decided to be a doctor and is now working on fullfiling that.  There is an article from 2018 he did an interview about it, it's easy to find on google.

1 hour ago, Dzimm said:

He actually lived through the 2008 tornado that went through the Little Sioux boy scout camp.

Holy crap! That’s amazing. I actually remember hearing about that thing happening too. Was almost like a freak thing that happened. 

2 hours ago, mjeff87 said:

Life Scout (I joined too late to make the cutoff for Eagle) and OA.

Wimachtendienk,  Wingolauchsik, Witahemui

Those were always fun to say. My dad used to say “what the hell away” to remember the pronunciation of the last one. 

1 hour ago, 89 MJ said:

I couldn’t imagine that water. That would be awful. We went to Camp Parsons our on the Olympic Penninsula of WA and that water was freezing too. I’m sure it had nothing on Alaska though. 

I have yet to set foot in WA water but damn it was cold. I can say it was the fastest I have ever swam in my life when I jumped in. 

I don't remember what rank I eventually stopped at but it was just enough to qualify to do the Jamboree in '85 (the one where the hurricane blew through) and Philmont in '86.  Quit shortly after getting into OA.

every job interview I've ever had started with talking about scouting.  (helps that I put Eagle Scout on my resume :grinyes: ).

I joined when I was 11 so I skipped all the cubscout things unfortunately. :(  but my nephews joined cubbies so I've been able to share in some of the fun. :D  

my bro-in-law is an eagle scout.  As is my best friend (we were in the same troop). 

got a sticker on the back of the Libby this past year :D 

20201028_095744.jpg

17 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

Those were always fun to say. My dad used to say “what the hell away” to remember the pronunciation of the last one. 

We always used to mumble "about 2 pounds" under our breath every time.

(What's a hen weigh?)

:laugh:

a bunch of years ago I got to do the 50 mile hike through the Philmont scout ranch.  it was fun despite it being 50 miles of herding a dozen whiny teenagers and a few out of shape adults.  :laugh:  no one died (either from exhaustion or from me killing them) so it was a rousing success! 

3 minutes ago, mjeff87 said:

We always used to mumble "about 2 pounds" under our breath every time.

(What's a hen weigh?)

:laugh:

That’s fricken hilarious. I never thought to think it sounds like what’s a hen weigh. 

13 minutes ago, Pete M said:

every job interview I've ever had started with talking about scouting.  (helps that I put Eagle Scout on my resume :grinyes: ).

I joined when I was 11 so I skipped all the cubscout things unfortunately. :(  but my nephews joined cubbies so I've been able to share in some of the fun. :D  

my bro-in-law is an eagle scout.  As is my best friend (we were in the same troop). 

got a sticker on the back of the Libby this past year :D 

20201028_095744.jpg

That’s awesome. That was the same thing for me when I applied to target was they asked about my Eagle Scout and one of the gentlemen who was interviewing me started talking about scouts and what not. It was awesome but he shortly retired after my first year there. I need to get me a sticker that says that. All I currently have is a AZ BSA license plate. 

Lol that sounds like the typical stories about philmont. Never been, wanted to go but just did other things that required money else where like NOAC. 

2 minutes ago, Pete M said:

a bunch of years ago I got to do the 50 mile hike through the Philmont scout ranch.  it was fun despite it being 50 miles of herding a dozen whiny teenagers and a few out of shape adults.  :laugh:  no one died (either from exhaustion or from me killing them) so it was a rousing success! 

I think our route was 62 miles.  One of our intended leaders failed the physical so one of the other kids' dad was a last minute replacement.

I was merely a Second Class. Almost First Class, then we moved, and there were no troops anywhere near. Of course, about that time I got involved in High school activities, too, so I was probably near the end of my career, anyway.

I feel unworthy in the presence of all of you paragons of excellence!

12 minutes ago, derf said:

I think our route was 62 miles. 

now that you mention it, that sounds right.  we did the optional hike up the mountain.  and by that I mean I took the kids up the mountain while the other adults chilled back at camp.  :laugh:

8 minutes ago, BeatCJ said:

I feel unworthy in the presence of all of you paragons of excellence!

don't feel unworthy, sometimes it happens when you can’t find an active troop. I’ve met a few who wish they could’ve continued but they’re troop stop being active. Hell my troop took on two other scouters who wanted to achieve their eagle but their troop wasn’t being active enough to help them out. 

8 minutes ago, Pete M said:

now that you mention it, that sounds right.  we did the optional hike up the mountain.  and by that I mean I took the kids up the mountain while the other adults chilled back at camp.  :laugh:

We did get to the top of baldy.  But that was 35 years ago.

These days I'll take the Jeep up to the top of the mountains. :P

3 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

don't feel unworthy, sometimes it happens when you can’t find an active troop. I’ve met a few who wish they could’ve continued but they’re troop stop being active. Hell my troop took on two other scouters who wanted to achieve their eagle but their troop wasn’t being active enough to help them out. 

That was my troop.  A few guys got their Eagle but most dropped out before.  There wasn't a big push for anyone to really accomplish anything.

8 minutes ago, derf said:

That was my troop.  A few guys got their Eagle but most dropped out before.  There wasn't a big push for anyone to really accomplish anything.

That sucks. I can’t say for absolute certain but my troop pushed and supported those achieving their eagle and I want to say we help contributed to the plus 1% increase in the national eagle rank achievement. Used to be 4% up until my last two years. 

Just now, thehomelesdepot said:

I was in the scouts and rushed to get Eagle in 2010 on the 100th anniversary. Got three palms after that.

I did my best to push for the 2012 anniversary of the eagle rank. I fell short of two months into 2013 unfortunately. There was three scouts I know whom all three were brothers and got there’s by the age of 14-15 

4 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

I did my best to push for the 2012 anniversary of the eagle rank. I fell short of two months into 2013 unfortunately. There was three scouts I know whom all three were brothers and got there’s by the age of 14-15 

Someone in my troop got Eagle at 13 but I am certain his dad did most of the work

4 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

That sucks. I can’t say for absolute certain but my troop pushed and supported those achieving their eagle and I want to say we help contributed to the plus 1% increase in the national eagle rank achievement. Used to be 4% up until my last two years. 

I was in it mostly because I liked to go camping, even in the winter snow.  I went to the Jamboree in '85, which was fun.  Got to be there as a hurricane blew through.  Also, I think that was the year the guy cut off 3 toes demonstrating axe safety.  The next year we went to Philmont.  Lightning hit near us one night and blew up a huge tree.  Big chunks of wood scattered over maybe 50 feet radius.  We picked them up and had an enormous courtesy pile for the next troop.

I got out of scouting what I wanted.  I never really got interested in going up in rank.  But once I hit high school I lost interest.

The scoutmaster's kid was on a quest to earn every single merit badge available.  He was almost there by the time I left.