Engine won't run.

My engine is turning over and is getting fuel But no spark. It has brand new spark plugs and the distributor is brand new. Anyone have any idea what this could be? I was thinking maybe mice chewed a wire in the dash.

some background on the situation might be helpful.  Was it running and driving before not starting?  Has it been sitting abandoned in a field?  There are alot of possibilites as to what can cause your issue.  Not sure I can help much beyond that other than suggesting random things to check. 

Edit:  I just looked back at your other posts.  Looks like a clean truck.  Have you examined the wires under the dash?  What makes you say mice chewed them?  Have you found any other evidence of mice?

31 minutes ago, watchamakalit said:

some background on the situation might be helpful.  Was it running and driving before not starting?  Has it been sitting abandoned in a field?  There are alot of possibilites as to what can cause your issue.  Not sure I can help much beyond that other than suggesting random things to check. 

Edit:  I just looked back at your other posts.  Looks like a clean truck.  Have you examined the wires under the dash?  What makes you say mice chewed them?  Have you found any other evidence of mice?

Yes there definitely was mice because there was poop in the glove box an other nice little things. I didn't have much time to look at it yesterday but when i was vacuuming it out i did notice a hanging wire near the pedals that was just bear wire ar the end but it had proper factory connections that led it into the wiring harness. And i was also told it ran before this summer till it sat till yesterday.

Just now, watchamakalit said:

That helps.  If you can get some pictures of the wiring that has been chewed there are people here that can get you started on figuring out what they are for.  If you take the lower dash panel off it is much easier to access all the wiring under the dash. 

Alright once i get home i will do that. 

Backtrack it as well. Chewed wires is a good indication of an issue. But does the coil deliver spark to the distributor? Who put the new cap on? Is rotor in correct position for timing? Is it there? Is it worn?

89 Comanche
Eliminator
2wd
4.0L
5 speed PukeGoat
Factory Original

4 hours ago, tugboat95 said:

Backtrack it as well. Chewed wires is a good indication of an issue. But does the coil deliver spark to the distributor? Who put the new cap on? Is rotor in correct position for timing? Is it there? Is it worn?

89 Comanche
Eliminator
2wd
4.0L
5 speed PukeGoat
Factory Original

Distributor is brand new and the guy said there's 12 volts at the spark plug

2 minutes ago, Muncher said:

Cps is also been replaced 

Was it tested for proper AC output? As cruiser always says, the aftermarket CPS's aren't made to spec in terms of their output.

If it tests good then yeah sounds like some wire tracing will have to happen from the ICM into the loom.

4 minutes ago, Muncher said:

Distributor is brand new and the guy said there's 12 volts at the spark plug

Is "the guy" a mechanic, or was he just wrenching on the truck? Have you personally verified by pulling a wire, putting in a spare plug, grounding it against the block, cranking the engine, and watching for spark? If not, you should. 

2 minutes ago, Muncher said:

Cps is also been replaced 

This is no guarantee of it working correctly. Read the VAC coming from the CPS while cranking the truck over. Should be ~0.5 or so. Many people have reported bad CPSs right out of the box.

From my experience: If your truck is truly getting spark and fuel, and is turning over well then it should fire. Have you tested compression?

So here's some pictures of the wire that was cut under the dash. There is also a battery kill switch in it. But me and my friend were just looking at it and thought the firing order was wrong so i looked up the firing order online and saw a picture where the distributor was in a certian spot and it seems the screws on mine were in a different spot then the picture so i thought maybe the firing order is off or something.

Snapchat-968642894.jpg

Snapchat-1327460360.jpg

Snapchat-286621243.jpg

Snapchat-666134291.jpg

40 minutes ago, JustEmptyEveryPocket said:

Is "the guy" a mechanic, or was he just wrenching on the truck? Have you personally verified by pulling a wire, putting in a spare plug, grounding it against the block, cranking the engine, and watching for spark? If not, you should. 

This is no guarantee of it working correctly. Read the VAC coming from the CPS while cranking the truck over. Should be ~0.5 or so. Many people have reported bad CPSs right out of the box.

From my experience: If your truck is truly getting spark and fuel, and is turning over well then it should fire. Have you tested compression?

Seems compression is fine i have a video of it turning over i could send

what color wire does that loc connector go to, my guess with that wire is that someone tied into the other wire for some reason, probably needed power for a switch

pictures of distributor

YR???  ENG???

When LOGGED-IN. Go to upper right hand of screen. Click on Username. Click on Account Settings. Find and click on Signature. Add vehicle information here (YR, ENG, TRANS, etc, etc) and save. This helps everyone. This information will be available every time you post.

4 hours ago, jdog said:

what color wire does that loc connector go to, my guess with that wire is that someone tied into the other wire for some reason, probably needed power for a switch

pictures of distributor

Ill take a picture of it in the morning once i have light. Also i think that wire could possibly be for the fog light switch because that switch lights up a tiny bit but the lights don't work.

2 hours ago, Ωhm said:

YR???  ENG???

When LOGGED-IN. Go to upper right hand of screen. Click on Username. Click on Account Settings. Find and click on Signature. Add vehicle information here (YR, ENG, TRANS, etc, etc) and save. This helps everyone. This information will be available every time you post.

Just did that.

19 hours ago, jdog said:

pictures of distributor

here's the pic of the distributor

15956094802913483776614248722732.jpg

Slow down. Lets focus on one thing at a time. 

Biggest piece to verify: VAC from the CPS when unplugged and trying to start truck. If greater than 0.4 or so, move to step two.

Second biggest piece: Pull a plug wire, stick a spare plug in it, ground it against the block. Look for a bright blue spark. 

These two things will give us a direction to work in.

Also, for compression, unless you have actually measured it using the proper tool you don't know. A video of it turning over doesn't mean much. Not saying its a issue, but don't cross it off the list unless you can confirm its not a problem.

12 minutes ago, JustEmptyEveryPocket said:

Slow down. Lets focus on one thing at a time. 

Biggest piece to verify: VAC from the CPS when unplugged and trying to start truck. If greater than 0.4 or so, move to step two.

Second biggest piece: Pull a plug wire, stick a spare plug in it, ground it against the block. Look for a bright blue spark. 

These two things will give us a direction to work in.

Also, for compression, unless you have actually measured it using the proper tool you don't know. A video of it turning over doesn't mean much. Not saying its a issue, but don't cross it off the list unless you can confirm its not a problem.

What would i measure the vac to the  cps with

18 minutes ago, Muncher said:

VAC = Volts AC, measuring the alternating current that the CPS produces.

Read THIS page from Cruiser54.

Also recommended is to bookmark THIS page and start working your way through the tips from top to bottom.

Report back what you find. This will really help us, help you with your no start problem.

5 hours ago, Muncher said:

Multimeter. If you don't own a decent one that should be your next purchase. Welcome to the wonderful world of Renix. I will also second the read cruisers site. It will save you money, time, and headaches. Steps 1-5 first then you can start testing stuff. CPS being the 1st. IMHO2110225944_IMG_20200724_1903489562.jpg.6f9e87a24c1a0d02aa76b69923957971.jpg

V~