Rubber engine bay shield

You guys are a GREAT source of info! Thanks for the hole/grommet info! Probably uses the 1/4" dia push pins used on just about every other Jeep splash shield. The hole in these grommets is .290" The OEM grommet hole was like .320" I'll check the push pin fit.

And thanks for the part numbers. Looks like this 2.5L splash shield should be part# 52003571 and the 4.0L is part# 52003570.

NOW, I need to find a decent 4.0L piece to duplicate. Anyone?

On 9/22/2020 at 9:04 PM, DMT said:

Great picture of that plate , thanks!!!

Can I ask, are the bolts the same size for for the holes where the grommets? Reason I ask is the OEM grommets must have been custom made cause the only grommets available the hole is either .030" smaller or .060" larger. I went with the smaller grommet but might have to change the larger one. Plate and grommets are both stainless. So are the rivets.

here's a bad picture of the new one. I was in a hurry today and must not have been looking at the preview picture. The part being on and angle is intentional. Kind of my signature differentiation when my parts pop up in a search engine.

248068393_7M2A74712000.jpg.cd78810b0baf37691ec2dcc769de988b.jpg

That looks really nice.

20 hours ago, fiatslug87 said:

I do, it looks from what I can tell just like the one in the original post and yours, it's installed on my 90 (from the factory) so hard to really discern any differences.

I'm thinking this are just 2 bad cartoon drawings of the same thing for 2.5L and 4.0L. Maybe I can send one to someone with a 4.0 to test fit. You interested? 

Finally got them done with stainless grommets, stainless attaching plates fastened with stainless rivets. What a project finding stainless grommets and having the stainless plates laser cut. But I love stainless :)

Jim Fillmore

Detroit Muscle Technologies

52003570 JEEP  87-93 CHEROKEE XJ and COMANCHE MJ 2.5L 600.jpg

I just got my splash shield from Jim at DMT, holes line up perfectly to the old one. Fix'n to mount it Friday or Saturday.  Felt naked without it, gone through more alternator changes in winter than I care to count.  No more parking on hills when the alternator is crapping out, in case it won't start.

89 4.0L

splash guard compare.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I like what you’ve done. Especially going the extra mile finding stainless. To me, the grommets are most needed at the 3 push pins at the front. That’s typically where it tears and where I remove the splash shield when draining the lower radiator hose. I’ve never had issue at the oil pan mounts. 

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Htchevyii said:

Looks like you got it all figured out. Nice product! I finally put on my NOS one that I bought when I worked at a dealer back in 1999 last week. It was ordered for a 1988, might have superseded though?

j.jpg

j1.jpg

That number fits 87-92 XJs and MJs. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Jim for resurrecting this extinct piece!!!  Thought I'd add some more pics,  lot going on and hard to see without a lift. Great fit and finish, only hard part was putting it on below the air-dam area where the front skid plate goes, rather than on top.  That's what happens when you wait a few months between taking it off and putting back on. 

splash gaurd 2 night.jpg

splash gaurd 1 night.jpg

Splashinstall 3.jpg