Rubber engine bay shield

OK the picture is of the rubber(ish) mat that is clipped to the frame beneath the front of the engine.  I am interested in the determining the factory part number for it.  Looked through the parts manual but didn't see it.

Also, and mainly interested in what it's made of and is there a source for the stuff new.  There have been a couple times now when I wished I had a large piece of it to fabricate a piece for a project.

IMG_7047.jpg

So what is the point of this thing anyway? Is it to keep stuff from splashing up onto the bottom of the engine or does it serve some aerodynamic function as well? For either function, with that many holes in it from factory I doubt it was very effective. 

Every Jeep I have owned and worked on seemed to have it on at some point as I have found remnants of it still attached to them all. 

I don't know what it was made of but from my years working as a roofing consultant/inspector, I'd say it seems very similar to what the roofers call modified bitumen roofing membrane. It's roll roofing, basically, but the "roll roofing" you buy at Lowe's or Home Despot uses conventional asphalt. The MBR uses chemically-modified asphalt to make it more rubbery and more durable. If you have any commercial roofers near you, or doing a job near you, you might be able to score a couple of cut-off ends of rolls and try making one from that.

On 2/3/2020 at 8:43 PM, eaglescout526 said:

You mean No.33?

Exactly, thank you.

On 2/3/2020 at 9:00 PM, Minuit said:

I think I recall the later (97+?) version of this being made of a more sturdy material, and I almost think I remember them being still available at some point.

Hmm, I'll have to research some of the newer XJs on my next JY trip.

20 hours ago, Eagle said:

I don't know what it was made of but from my years working as a roofing consultant/inspector, I'd say it seems very similar to what the roofers call modified bitumen roofing membrane. It's roll roofing, basically, but the "roll roofing" you buy at Lowe's or Home Despot uses conventional asphalt. The MBR uses chemically-modified asphalt to make it more rubbery and more durable. If you have any commercial roofers near you, or doing a job near you, you might be able to score a couple of cut-off ends of rolls and try making one from that.

Thank you, I thought it might be an asphalt based product, but don't have any background knowledge on that.  This is helpful.

I've kept the one in the picture on my XJ simply because it was there, and in ok shape.  Once, I was driving and noticed some strange steering feedback.  Upon inspection, it turned out the shield was loose and rubbing against the steering linkage.  I considered removing it, but instead spent more time securing it with bolts and plastic "fir tree" clips.  Pulled it out during my recent radiator and harmonic balancer replacement work.

• 5 months later...

ok Rock doesn't have them anymore but I've learned a new term....

This stuff is called  Masticated Rubber.

Can buy it in sheets and cut your own. 

Or pay the guy on eBay.

You'll spend about the same money but if you buy the material you'll have more material to make flaps for "elsewhere".

• 1 month later...

Jim Fillmore here, DMT. I make the XJ engine splash shields and just had a customer with a Comanche asking about them. That why I'm here :)

Can I ask what year the original posters piece is in the picture? 

Does anyone have access to an MJ parts book to see if this was the same part over all the Comanche years? I have one other reference picture that was from a 92 and it looked just like this one. Jeep part# 52003570

Update:  I did some deep internet searching and found part number 52003570 is for 91-92 models (must have the grommets and metal plate) and 52003571 is 87-90.

I just purchased probably the last NOS splash shield on the planet from a guy in Germany. I'm duplicating it now. Might be a couple weeks. Looks like there were some "upgrades" made over the years based on the original posters piece and the one I bought. Mine has 2 grommets installed around the screw holes on the sides of the big U shaped cutout. There is also a 2-1/2" x 3" metal plate pop riveted to the splash shield. Can anyone tell me what is in that area? Steering box? Linkage? Heat source? I'm using 1/8" thick (HEAVY) masticated rubber and the plate will be made form .060" stainless (factory was black painted .060" steel).

JEEP_52003570_03_JEEP_87-93_Cherokee_XJ_

4 minutes ago, DMT said:

1991 MJ 4.0L

52003570 ran from 87-93 for XJ's and MJ's with the 4.0L engine.

Sorry 2.5L guys, won't fit ours. 86-92 has a three piece set up for us 2.5L's and the above differs slightly than the 2.5L variant. 

43 minutes ago, DMT said:

Jim Fillmore here, DMT. I make the XJ engine splash shields and just had a customer with a Comanche asking about them. That why I'm here :)

Does anyone have access to an MJ parts book to see if this was the same part over all the Comanche years? I have one other reference picture that was from a 92 and it looked just like this one. Jeep part# 52003570

Update:  I did some deep internet searching and found part number 52003570 is for 91-92 models (must have the grommets and metal plate) and 52003571 is 87-90.

I just purchased probably the last NOS splash shield on the planet from a guy in Germany. I'm duplicating it now. Might be a couple weeks. Looks like there were some "upgrades" made over the years based on the original posters piece and the one I bought. Mine has 2 grommets installed around the screw holes on the sides of the big U shaped cutout. There is also a 2-1/2" x 3" metal plate pop riveted to the splash shield. Can anyone tell me what is in that area? Steering box? Linkage? Heat source? I'm using 1/8" thick (HEAVY) masticated rubber and the plate will be made form .060" stainless (factory was black painted .060" steel).

JEEP_52003570_03_JEEP_87-93_Cherokee_XJ_

nice!  :D 

feel free to start a thread for yourself in the Vendors section of the classifieds. :L: 

Great picture of that plate , thanks!!!

Can I ask, are the bolts the same size for for the holes where the grommets? Reason I ask is the OEM grommets must have been custom made cause the only grommets available the hole is either .030" smaller or .060" larger. I went with the smaller grommet but might have to change the larger one. Plate and grommets are both stainless. So are the rivets.

here's a bad picture of the new one. I was in a hurry today and must not have been looking at the preview picture. The part being on and angle is intentional. Kind of my signature differentiation when my parts pop up in a search engine.

248068393_7M2A74712000.jpg.cd78810b0baf37691ec2dcc769de988b.jpg