since I cant sell it...

Kenosha Warrior

... I'm keeping it.

So I tried for the last 3 months to sell the MJ, not happenin. Can't give the prick away.

So I got talking to a few of my local club members and they said between all the parts they are going to send to the scrapper, I lack all of an axle with a 3.55 ratio for my front end.

I'm keeping the MJ. I am movin' around and joining the Volunteer F.D and I need a 4x4. So the new plan is to stick a 4.2 in so I can be exempt from emissions testing (anything other than a factory availabe engine in that model line is considered a hotrod therefore exempt from emissions)

after that, goes in the BA-10 and 231. Its from a YJ so some modifications will have to happen no doubt. Its also getting a 3-4" lift when its all apart. I'm getting the drivetrain for free to save someone else from scrapping it.

Over the winter months though, I'm going to be putting together either a 4.0 stroker OR an AMC 401 that I have tracked down. But thats if I have time. I'm going to get a small set of 33's to go onto the rig and trim up the fenders to get rido' the rust. Over the winter I'm going to stick in a MJ specific 44, but I have to get the truck up and moving so I can go pick it up. It'll be wired in with a pushbutton start for simplicity. Ive got a hidden kill switch already in there.

anywho. Pics for the entire project are a must. So be waiting as this will start soon

Well......glad you made up your mind on keeping the MJ :D

Now you have a plan, and it sounds like a good plan, see, you just needed to ask around and every thing came to you ;)

Like I said before, any parts you might need, drop me a note, and take a ride over the bridge, I'm only 30 minutes from NF. I might be able to help you out on the D30.

... I'm keeping it.

So the new plan is to stick a 4.2 in so I can be exempt from emissions testing (anything other than a factory availabe engine in that model line is considered a hotrod therefore exempt from emissions)

Thats completely wrong btw. Figured I'd let you know before you start swapping stuff. You still have to do an etest it is just different limits and it will likely be harder to get insurance because your technically supposed to let MTO know. I've been through all this before if you want more info. And personally, you couldnt pay me enough to put in a 4.2L

... I'm keeping it.

So the new plan is to stick a 4.2 in so I can be exempt from emissions testing (anything other than a factory availabe engine in that model line is considered a hotrod therefore exempt from emissions)

Thats completely wrong btw. Figured I'd let you know before you start swapping stuff. You still have to do an etest it is just different limits and it will likely be harder to get insurance because your technically supposed to let MTO know. I've been through all this before if you want more info. And personally, you couldnt pay me enough to put in a 4.2L

my insurance company already knows the plans. The e-test thing as Ive been told and read in the Emissions book is that anything with a different displacement than any engine offered in a stock format is classified as a hotrod. So a 4-2 will be exempt.

I said the same thing about the 4.2

but I will tell you, I've been told by numerous people that my truck doesn't even have to go through emissions anymore either...it's 20 years old, and has a custom-installed engine that wasn't offered in any year cherokee or comanche (3800 buick) and is therefore classified as a hobbyist vehicle.

but i didn't tell my insurance, nor the state, what kind of engine is in there. as far as they're concerned, it's a bone-stock, 2wd 1986 2.8v6 with a 5-speed. which is why my insurance is only $60 a month now with 3 speeding tickets in 2 years.

gotta love them vin number interpreters :D

my insurance company already knows the plans. The e-test thing as Ive been told and read in the Emissions book is that anything with a different displacement than any engine offered in a stock format is classified as a hotrod. So a 4-2 will be exempt.

Sorry, I'm sure I came off pretty abrasive and thats not the way I meant it. If your insurance is a go then you don't have to worry about it.

For the current laws of etesting (unless something changed I don't know about within the last few days) is that the rolling year exemption is no longer so. Everyvehicle 1988 and newer will always have to be tested. 1987 and older are exempt and there are future plans to have that changed to 1980 and older.

Your absolutely right, the 4.2L wasnt offered so it will most definately be a hotrod class - THIS DOES NOT MAKE IT EXEMPT. Hotrod classifications give it higher limits but not an exemption. I had an 1989 Yj with first a built 4.2L bored out that I had classified as Hotrod, then a 4.3L chev v6 in it also classified as hotrod. For example, it made one limit go form 120ppm to 300ppm *unfortunately I still failed with the 4.2L.

There is also newer stipulations I'm not 100% sure about but the idea they're trying to go with is you are not supposed to be able to swap in older engines and have a hotrod classifications as you are to meet your vehicles emmisions laws. But this shouldnt apply to you from my understanding of the law.

Despite legality issues.... i would 'buy' an 87 manche and swap over all my components to that.... wink wink...nudge nudge... and it could even look just like yours does now.....

I said the same thing about the 4.2

but I will tell you, I've been told by numerous people that my truck doesn't even have to go through emissions anymore either...it's 20 years old, and has a custom-installed engine that wasn't offered in any year cherokee or comanche (3800 buick) and is therefore classified as a hobbyist vehicle.

Reason # 47 billion, That I'm glad I live on the RIGHT side of the Cheddar Curtain. :D

No emissions testing as long as I'm smart enough not to live close to Chicago or St. Looney

I'm CANADIAN!

I'm reciting MY backwards assed provinces rules.

if I put a 4.0 in, I still have to e-test it AND fhuck with the wiring to make it work.

If I plop a 4-2 in it, along with a 5spd and a t-case. That opens my door to move it and enjoy it again.... while I work on the next motar

it'll be an AMC 401. Probably efi. a set of 44's or maybe a 44 front 60 rear will plop in next winter. It'll be backed my either a stock J-20 transmission that goes with the 401 OR An NV4550.

I'm CANADIAN!

I'm reciting MY backwards assed provinces rules.

Oh, your Canadian? Weird..... Do you know Office Bob then? Hes Canadian... Ehh....? :Canadaflag: ;)

So anyways.... From DriveClean.ca website:

"As of January 1, 2006, Drive Clean regulations require testing every two years for light-duty vehicles beginning when they are five years old (in the fifth calendar year after their model year) rather than when they are three years old (in the third calendar year after their model year). This means that testing begins with 2001 model vehicles in 2006, and 2002 model vehicles in 2007.

The exemption for 20-year-old light-duty vehicles is ending as we begin to focus more on the vehicles most likely to pollute. All cars, 1988 model year and newer, will require emissions testing until they are taken out of service. These vehicles would have had their last test for registration renewal in 2007, when they were 19 years old. They will now need to continue to be tested in 2009 and ever two years after that."

NEXT: From the Driveclean operators HandBook:

"Hot Rod: a motor vehicle up to and including model year 1999, in which the original motor has been replaced with a motor (different block) of a type not installed on that model year by the manufacturer"

Sounds good so far - however also from drive clean website:

"What happens if I change(d) the motor in my Light-Duty vehicle?

If the vehicle is included in the program (appropriate age, registered in the program area), it will be considered a hot rod if the motor differs from the type that was originally offered by the manufacturer for that particular model year. All hot rods registered as the model year 1999 or earlier will continue to be tested according to 1980 emission standards. Vehicles registered as model year 2000 and later will be tested according to emission standards for their model year. Vehicles built to non-Canadian standards but imported into Canada will be tested similarly. Other specialty vehicles will be tested according to 1980 emission standards for an indefinite period, except for vehicles that have "kit" marked on the vehicle licence. Kit cars are exempt from the Drive Clean program. "

So... I dunno. Like I said I've been through this all before. Coming up with these quotes took about 1.5 minutes using Google. I'm a huge fan of neat swaps so don't get me wrong. As a personal choice, I know strongly dislike the 4.2L and if you want it to pass drive clean in my opinion it is definately the WRONG choice. I've had soooo many headaches with driveclean you wouldnt believe. Not to mention an argument with a driveclean shop to explain to them why and how my jeep was a hotrod classification.

And ya, I'm Canadian too. Alternate between Windsor and Mississauga. Use Jeepkings.ca as a resource cause driveclean has been beat to death on there - thats where I originally saw your forsale post. Looks like a nice jeep. I know I practically don't post on here but saw this and wanted to chime in cause I strongly hate the driveclean program and didnt want another person to get screwed.

he is correct colton, my father in law is putting an intire ford driveline in his YJ, and he could not get around the etest. it was easier for him to buy another 87 YJ and use that for the swap instead.

If you need an MJ to do it to, I will have an 86 MJ going for sale soon. That will let you do whatever modification you need to do withour worrying about etest

Sorry, I'm sure I came off pretty abrasive and thats not the way I meant it. If your insurance is a go then you don't have to worry about it.

For the current laws of etesting (unless something changed I don't know about within the last few days) is that the rolling year exemption is no longer so. Everyvehicle 1988 and newer will always have to be tested. 1987 and older are exempt and there are future plans to have that changed to 1980 and older.

Your absolutely right, the 4.2L wasnt offered so it will most definately be a hotrod class - THIS DOES NOT MAKE IT EXEMPT. Hotrod classifications give it higher limits but not an exemption. I had an 1989 Yj with first a built 4.2L bored out that I had classified as Hotrod, then a 4.3L chev v6 in it also classified as hotrod. For example, it made one limit go form 120ppm to 300ppm *unfortunately I still failed with the 4.2L.

There is also newer stipulations I'm not 100% sure about but the idea they're trying to go with is you are not supposed to be able to swap in older engines and have a hotrod classifications as you are to meet your vehicles emmisions laws. But this shouldnt apply to you from my understanding of the law.

Despite legality issues.... i would 'buy' an 87 manche and swap over all my components to that.... wink wink...nudge nudge... and it could even look just like yours does now.....

Here in NC it's '96 below (well I guess '97 now) - no sniff test has to be done.

Jeez, thats actually kinda too bad for the environment but good for enthusiasts like us. The only reason it came into effect into Ontario is because of political pressure. Then they rushed to have a system implemented which is greatly flawed and don't test properly but everything cost soooo much (ie. the testing machine is roughly a hundred grand) they have to keep it around.

MJColton is in Canada what he says might be correct for his province.

Ummm ... the guy explaining why he's wrong is also from Ontario, Canada. Last time I looked at a map of Canada, it was all one province.

MJColton is in Canada what he says might be correct for his province.

Ummm ... the guy explaining why he's wrong is also from Ontario, Canada. Last time I looked at a map of Canada, it was all one province.

Boy you're a grumpy, :mad:, old fart.

And by the way, there are differences even within California, some zip codes/counties require testing for new vehicles after 4 years, some after six. And up to a couple years ago there was more stringent (on a dyno) testing in some areas. So, what I was trying to say is that MJColton should do his own research for his particular area.

Ya'll come on down to Florida...we don't have to worry about any e-testing or inspections at all. It can get scary at times to see some of the trucks on the highway with 24" of lift and 49" IROK's being used as daily drivers :chillin: .