Radio fixes

Hello. I’m new here and was told you guys know your stuff. Here it goes.  I have a 1988 Jeep Comanche MJ. 4wd 

I am trying to make the fm radio work but all I am getting is static from it.  If the radio is turned all the way up though I can hear music through it faintly.  Am works great.  Ohmed out from the antenna to the unit and am getting 2 ohms. If I tilt the head unit sometimes it cuts in better. I have cleaned all of the connections and checked the ground on the back. What do you guys think.  

C1C0BEEB-EA00-4E4A-80FA-0E95B577E635.jpeg

995CD464-E520-4042-BA9C-1A21C333EA19.jpeg

28B8B64C-EA38-41A3-89DF-7F85048B2B45.jpeg

As a starter suggestion, go to the "MJ Tech: DIY Projects and Write Ups" section. Read "What Minuit know about stock Jeep Radios". It is on the first page.

May not have the answer, but a lot of knowledge there.

Internal failure inside the radio. If shaking the radio around makes it better, more than likely bad solder joints. The AR-7752 is old enough now that that's a concern. I can see the display is bleeding around the edges as well. That will get worse. I normally see that in radios that have spent a lot of time in direct sunlight or have been dropped.

That radio is nothing special. That model was used in '92 and '93, which means it isn't original to your truck anyway. All 1988 through 1996 single-DIN Jeep radios are interchangeable. To fix it would cost two or three times what it's worth.

I Will do an aftermarket stereo than. I want to keep the truck looking mostly stock inside that’s why I was trying to see what I could do to make this work. Is there a stereo you would recommend to keep the look. I was going to get an older one to replace it and they are around 70$ I’m seeing. I really appreciate the reply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, TrippinTrout said:

Rodger dodger thank you everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

and be sure to add in your location and then some details about your truck into your signature. :L: 

also, old radios look good even in newer Jeeps. :D    This is an 92? XJ radio in my '06 Liberty.  Minuit's taking a break from the radio stuff because of work, but eventually I expect him to be back in the saddle and adding in AUX ports like he did to mine.  And I have since added a bluetooth dongle to that port which makes my 25 year old radio more modern than my 13 year old Jeep's original. :banana:  (that cable under the unit is for charging my phone when it's in the cubby)

20190208_205417.jpg

This radio is actually pretty good. I bought it when it was 19$. I hated the look of all the aftermarket radios for the interior my Comanche. Looked way to futuristic and out of place.  This one fits really well and works great. I was expecting way worse for a 20 dollar radio but it surprised the hell outta me. Bluetooth. Phone mic built in. My friends say they here my really clearly. And it fits in the stock spot super well. Lasted 6 months perfect (Comanche is away for the winter currently)

Screenshot_20191230-180229.png

43 minutes ago, 70barracuda said:

This radio is actually pretty good. I bought it when it was 19$. I hated the look of all the aftermarket radios for the interior my Comanche. Looked way to futuristic and out of place.  This one fits really well and works great. I was expecting way worse for a 20 dollar radio but it surprised the hell outta me. Bluetooth. Phone mic built in. My friends say they here my really clearly. And it fits in the stock spot super well. Lasted 6 months perfect (Comanche is away for the winter currently)

Screenshot_20191230-180229.png

Thanks for that.  Now my Amazon cart, it's going to replace the insanely bright blue spaceship POS that currently inhabits my dash.