Rear-end swap

I'm considering swapping the rear axles between my MJ's. I have an 88 Metric Ton edition with a Dana 44 and a 91 with a Dana 35.

I'm eventually going to have to sell one of them. To ease the pain, I though that I might keep the 91 but swap in the Dana 44 from the 88.

Any major challenges to this swap?

4 hours ago, fiatslug87 said:

If either are 4WD you have to match the gear ratio of the front to the rear.

I didn't think of that. Oh well, you gotta do what you gotta do right. I'll have to check the gear ratios in the front of my 91 (probably sock) and the rear of the 88 Metric ton (for sure stock). Both 3.55?

1 hour ago, DirtyComanche said:

I'd undo the springs and the hangers and roll the entire axle/suspension out of each and into the other.  No disturbing the ubolts then, plus the M/T springs would go with the D44.

But that's me.

Thank you, that's exactly how I'll do it!

4 hours ago, DesertRat1991 said:

Shouldn't be any issues with the axle swap other than driveshaft length.  

If you're going to yank the D44, you might as well snag the Metric Ton badge off the tail gate too.  Even if you don't want it, some guy out there will pay a stupid amount for it.

Oh you better believe I have already been daydreaming about that badge going on my 91. I can't imagine selling it. :))

2 hours ago, EUREKA said:

I didn't think of that. Oh well, you gotta do what you gotta do right. I'll have to check the gear ratios in the front of my 91 (probably sock) and the rear of the 88 Metric ton (for sure stock). Both 3.55?

Do yours have the same transmissions?

Stock manual 4.0: 3.07

Stock auto 4.0: 3.55

7 hours ago, DirtyComanche said:

I'd undo the springs and the hangers and roll the entire axle/suspension out of each and into the other.  No disturbing the ubolts then, plus the M/T springs would go with the D44.

But that's me.

That’s what I’d do as well.