Another junkyard score

schardein

So I just completed an epic trip from MO to Lake Tahoe, and ran the Rubicon Trail in my CJ.  During the trip, I stopped at 7 junkyards (3 in Denver, 2 in Salt Lake, 1 in Sparks, and 1 in Lincoln).  I have a box full of stuff, but this is some of the coolest.  I found an 89 2 dr XJ, 4wd 5 speed with full factory skid plating and tow hooks.  It also had a 28mm front anti sway bar, and the longer rear leaf spring bump stops.  Not only did it have the front tow hooks, it also had the factory rear tow hook, a rare item I've never found before.  I pulled the fuel tank skid plate, and on a whim, pulled the transfer case skid plate.  I've seen transfer case skid plates before, but the mounting bolts were always seized to the thread inserts, causing the inserts to spin and the bolts to not come out.  This is the first one I've been able to remove.  I know, mostly XJ parts, but I thought this was a cool find.

IMG_5036.jpg

IMG_5037.jpg

IMG_5038.jpg

IMG_5039.jpg

I miss the feeling of adventure that going to the junkyard used to bring. Especially if it was full of intact '80s Jeeps. Now that I've seen basically everything, it takes the REALLY weird stuff to bring the adventure back. Sounds like you captured it perfectly.

One of these days I'm going to have to do a big trip where I just go to a bunch of junkyards. Before all of the old Jeeps are in the crusher.

17 minutes ago, Pete M said:

awesome!  I love rare parts! :D  with any luck I'm going to those same denver junkyards (for KJ parts though)

where is your trip report and pics?  :popcorn:

LKQ Pick Your Part, 6100 North Federal Blvd, Denver

U Pull & Pay, 390 W 66th Way, Denver

U Pull & Pay, 1370 Zeno St, Aurora

Still processing the whole trip.  I will say this:  I attended the Jeep Jamboree USA Rubicon Trip.  It was truly epic, they have a helicopter that brings in a piano so you have live music while eating your ribeye dinner on Saturday at Rubicon Springs.  But, their rules state that Jeeps older than 97 are not permitted to register without prior approval.  I guess I'm a rebel, and registered my 83, didn't call, just showed up.  They were not happy.  Quizzed my about my driving experience and Jeep details.  Funny thing, I probably have more off road driving and instructing experience than most, if not all, the trail guides.  They grudgingly "allowed" me to participate, and I had zero issues, while numerous "newer/better" Jeeps experienced breakage and/or required recovery.  Still it was a great trip, the scenery was awe inspiring.

34 minutes ago, Minuit said:

I miss the feeling of adventure that going to the junkyard used to bring. Especially if it was full of intact '80s Jeeps. Now that I've seen basically everything, it takes the REALLY weird stuff to bring the adventure back. Sounds like you captured it perfectly.

One of these days I'm going to have to do a big trip where I just go to a bunch of junkyards. Before all of the old Jeeps are in the crusher.

My standard vacation for the last 5 years or so consist of an off road trip with stops at junkyards on the trip to and from.  I really enjoy it.  I've noticed the number of Jeep XJs in junkyards on the east coast steadily declining over the last 10 years.  There were so many in Sparks, NV, that I couldn't look at them all.  And they are mostly rust free.

Found this in Salt Lake, it was for sale complete:

IMG_4991.jpg

IMG_4990.jpg

IMG_4989.jpg

1 hour ago, schardein said:

LKQ Pick Your Part, 6100 North Federal Blvd, Denver

U Pull & Pay, 390 W 66th Way, Denver

U Pull & Pay, 1370 Zeno St, Aurora

Still processing the whole trip.  I will say this:  I attended the Jeep Jamboree USA Rubicon Trip.  It was truly epic, they have a helicopter that brings in a piano so you have live music while eating your ribeye dinner on Saturday at Rubicon Springs.  But, their rules state that Jeeps older than 97 are not permitted to register without prior approval.  I guess I'm a rebel, and registered my 83, didn't call, just showed up.  They were not happy.  Quizzed my about my driving experience and Jeep details.  Funny thing, I probably have more off road driving and instructing experience than most, if not all, the trail guides.  They grudgingly "allowed" me to participate, and I had zero issues, while numerous "newer/better" Jeeps experienced breakage and/or required recovery.  Still it was a great trip, the scenery was awe inspiring.

you were in my neighbor hood with these yards, surprised you didn't hit the LKQ @ 33rd and Peoria, they've got a comanche in the yard there. hoping you also told u pull and pay you were at the other yard as you only have to pay once

1 hour ago, jdog said:

you were in my neighbor hood with these yards, surprised you didn't hit the LKQ @ 33rd and Peoria, they've got a comanche in the yard there. hoping you also told u pull and pay you were at the other yard as you only have to pay once

I ran out of time, was only in town for the day.  And I did get free entry at the second U Pull!

13 hours ago, schardein said:

So I just completed an epic trip from MO to Lake Tahoe, and ran the Rubicon Trail in my CJ.  During the trip, I stopped at 7 junkyards (3 in Denver, 2 in Salt Lake, 1 in Sparks, and 1 in Lincoln).  I have a box full of stuff, but this is some of the coolest.  I found an 89 2 dr XJ, 4wd 5 speed with full factory skid plating and tow hooks.  It also had a 28mm front anti sway bar, and the longer rear leaf spring bump stops.  Not only did it have the front tow hooks, it also had the factory rear tow hook, a rare item I've never found before.  I pulled the fuel tank skid plate, and on a whim, pulled the transfer case skid plate.  I've seen transfer case skid plates before, but the mounting bolts were always seized to the thread inserts, causing the inserts to spin and the bolts to not come out.  This is the first one I've been able to remove.  I know, mostly XJ parts, but I thought this was a cool find.

IMG_5039.jpg

Interesting... never seen one of these before.  Is it designed to mount with the hook hanging down (like the front hooks)?  My first impression is that kinda seems like a bad idea. 

8 minutes ago, DesertRat1991 said:

Interesting... never seen one of these before.  Is it designed to mount with the hook hanging down (like the front hooks)?  My first impression is that kinda seems like a bad idea. 

Yea it mount on rear driver side like on my 98 police pkg i can take pic and show where it mount at... Yea it may be the rarest item for XJ!

5 hours ago, DesertRat1991 said:

What MJXJJeepguy said.  And I agree, the hook pointing down isn't the best design.  Although adding tow hook clips would help retain a strap or winch line.

towhook clip.jpg

Also, I had a friend who special ordered a 1997 Jeep Cherokee.  He requested front and rear tow hooks and a receiver hitch.  It came with a tow hook bolted to the rear receiver hitch, designed like the picture.  Only one I've ever seen like it.

tow-hooks-369.jpg