New Tires

Hey CC’ers. I need a new set of tires for the MJ. I am looking for inexpensive replacements. Can be MT or AT as it is driven 98% of time on street. It has to be 17 inches and 32 to 33” tall. I am in Florida if that is important? I appreciate the help with this.

I run General Grabbers, mi MJ is 100% on road and I really like those tires. Smooth on road and the few times I've found a dirt pile they've done fine. I found mine on eBay through discount tire direct. They had a promo for $100 off $400 or something. So i got mine really cheap. I suggest waiting until a holiday and you can find a good deal. 

I just put the Grabber A/Tx on my ZJ. Seems like a sturdy enough tire, with a fairly stiff sidewall. They don't drown out the d35's howls on the highway, and they have excellent traction on snow and ice... if that's a concern in Florida... But I'm pretty happy with them.

This is the sort of topic where you can walk into a room of six people and get ten answers. 

For just something cheap to get around with, Craigslist etc might not be the worst way to find a decent used set, but not all cheap tires are created (or worn down) equally, and those four tiny patches of rubber are also the only things holding you on the road, so they are kinda important. 

13 hours ago, Smokeyyank said:

I run General Grabbers, mi MJ is 100% on road and I really like those tires. Smooth on road and the few times I've found a dirt pile they've done fine. I found mine on eBay through discount tire direct. They had a promo for $100 off $400 or something. So i got mine really cheap. I suggest waiting until a holiday and you can find a good deal. 

I definitely check them out on eBay. Thank you.

7 hours ago, gogmorgo said:

This is the sort of topic where you can walk into a room of six people and get ten answers.

Thank you, and I agree, but that is why I asked. I hope there is six options for me to pick the best option for me! I have already just learned about the General tires from my question. 

9 hours ago, Limeyjeeper said:

The Toyo Open Country ATII are great tires. They are also really quiet which after the Duratracs is a nice change!!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I have the Toyo’s On my xj but they were expensive but I like them so far. Thank you 

+1 on the Grabbers. Been very happy with the AT2 but these are being phased out in favor of the next-gen ATX.  I hope the ATX performs as well.

1 hour ago, shelbyluvv said:

Rubicon take offs fit your 17" and 32" specs perfectly. Look into them. You'd be surprised how cheap a set of 5 can be bought for.

He didn't ask for wheel suggestions. But also, those wheels won't fit the MJ without adapters.  Wrong bolt pattern.

+1 on the Grabbers. Been very happy with the AT2 but these are being phased out in favor of the next-gen ATX.  I hope the ATX performs as well.

He didn't ask for wheel suggestions. But also, those wheels won't fit the MJ without adapters.  Wrong bolt pattern.
You don't think that maybe, just maybe...

Tires can come off of those wheels? I see Rubi take off tires all the time for sale.

1 hour ago, DesertRat1991 said:

These Grabber’s seem to be popular 👍🏻

When Shelbyluvv said five tires, I took it as no rims. They tend to keep their rims when they are going up to bigger tires, but good to know bolt patterns are different 😬

10 hours ago, shelbyluvv said:

Rubicon take offs fit your 17" and 32" specs perfectly. Look into them. You'd be surprised how cheap a set of 5 can be bought for.

I was thinking the same thing.  JKs came with 32" BFG MTs, and the new JLs come with 33" BFG ATs.  I've had both and highly recommend the ATs.

12 hours ago, DesertRat1991 said:

Been very happy with the AT2 but these are being phased out in favor of the next-gen ATX.  I hope the ATX performs as well.

Bearing in mind that it's been almost two years since my AT2's on the MJ died (deer sleeping on the highway... ribs through sidewalls, it wasn't pretty) and the MJ and ZJ are different vehicles, and the fact that there hasn't been much in the way of bare pavement since I installed the Grabbers on it, so far my impression is that the ATx is an improvement over the AT2. The sidewalls are much stiffer, the sidewall lugs are more aggressive but still visually subtle, and I'm guessing the compound is different because the ATx seems to have much more grip on ice, and the tread patterns aren't all that different.