it's cold out there!! be prepared!

Pete M

Just wanted to remind everyone to check on their neighbors/relatives, especially the elderly.  and try to have a plan for a power outage.  won't take long at all for their houses to get extremely cold and they may not have a phone connection at that point. 

Stay safe!!!  don't do anything stupid.

Agreed^^^^

I just got home from work and was reasonably comfortable on my 45min drive home, had my hunting coat on over my normal layers of sweatshirts with the heat cranked.  It's currently  -21*F with a windchill around -54*F.

Had my XJ parked next to a dock door at work with the battery wrap and battery maintainer plugged in.  It still struggled to start and coolant never got above 170*F according to the gauge.  Don't go out unless you have to.  It's downright dangerous right now if you aren't properly prepared.

20 hours ago, Pete M said:

Just wanted to remind everyone to check on their neighbors/relatives, especially the elderly.  and try to have a plan for a power outage.  won't take long at all for their houses to get extremely cold and they may not have a phone connection at that point. 

Stay safe!!!  don't do anything stupid.

And for the love of all that's holy in the world, don't drive your MJ on salty roads!

Was happy mine started as well as it did this morning -20. And I did drive it in salty roads. That's the good part of driving a rusty one!!  If I ever get the floors done in the XJ it will be next. Very fun to drive in the snow though.

My boss was rubbing me the other day because I was outside washing a truck in a Tshirt around -25°C. I dunno, though, it felt nice and warm in the sun, especially after the first few days this week in the mid -30's. Compared to the -40s and a few of the places I've called home over the years saw in the last couple weeks (before windchill...), still pretty balmy. 

On 2/8/2019 at 11:12 AM, gogmorgo said:

in a Tshirt around -25°C. I dunno, though, it felt nice and warm in the sun, especially after the first few days this week

LOL. I'm in Saskatchewan, it got down to -40C a couple nights ago and it's been frickin' cold. So yesterday it was only -29C and it felt WARM!! I know what you mean.

On February 9, 2019 at 6:13 PM, 91Pioneer said:

LOL. I'm in Saskatchewan, it got down to -40C a couple nights ago and it's been frickin' cold. So yesterday it was only -29C and it felt WARM!! I know what you mean.

Yeah it was -40 even here this morning. We need the cold to knock back the pine beetles, but I must have gotten soft after living here for so long... I had no desire to go outside today, although I did get a grocery run in. 

12" is a lot in one dump almost anywhere I've been. I'd still be out in it, but whether I'm driving or on snowshoes is a toss-up, depending on the snow itself. Wet and heavy like you would've got, I probably would be driving, but in hard-as-rock drifts, not so much.