No problem keeping the beer cool today

yxmj

Down in Jefferson County, Missouri USA, a little over 1000 miles (1600 km) south of you, it's -11C , with a projected low of -20C. If you all don't start keeping the cold on your side of the border, we're gonna have to build a wall up there :grinyes: .  Also, stay warm, this cold sucks.

Ha Ha......come on up.....best beer and prettiest girls.....

It actually went down to -51 on my drive to work...

I would like to find the guy who started the phrase "global warming" ...and kick him right in the......! 

dipping into the teens in GA, possibly for the next 3 nights.  I know it's not exactly record setting for northerners, but our main source of heat in this house is the heat pump and that struggles mightily in the freezing temps.  :(   the emergency heat is a giant electric burner in the furnace and using that is like setting fire to a pile of money.  hopefully by next winter we'll have the sunroom finished and have a working wood stove. :D  

1 hour ago, Pete M said:

dipping into the teens in GA, possibly for the next 3 nights.  I know it's not exactly record setting for northerners, but our main source of heat in this house is the heat pump and that struggles mightily in the freezing temps.  :(   the emergency heat is a giant electric burner in the furnace and using that is like setting fire to a pile of money.  hopefully by next winter we'll have the sunroom finished and have a working wood stove. :D  

Yeah, you really don't want the emergency heat running, unless you go out and oil up the meter beforehand.  She'll spin like a turbo.

Heat pumps are good down to about 40 degrees, and they drop off exponentially the colder it gets from there.  I'd rig up some temporary space heaters, even electric ones (like the oil filled radiator type) and block off unused living areas with hanging blankets or some such for a couple days if you can.  Good old fashioned kerosene heaters always work well too in a pinch.

Or you can just start setting fire to pieces of furniture you're not too fond of:laugh:

we've all got heating pads in our beds (even the cat :grinyes: ).   I'll probably drop it down to 60 tonight.  nothing too crazy.  then let the chips fall where they may. 

although... the trailer has a propane furnace...  I could be sleeping like a king!  :roflmao:

-24°C here this morning. This weekend it hit 12° and it was brutal. Too hot, things got messy, and then dangerous. Back to normal now though.

But like Dirty says, it's been fairly mild so far. We've been getting snow since September like always, but it didn't really start to hang around until December... And then did it ever. We've had more avalanche closures on the highways already this winter than we did all last season, and it's not even peak avalanche time yet. But we had about three weeks solid of -30 or lower this time last year, and I don't think I've seen it even hit -27 yet. Don't know what the windchill factor is, couldn't care less. Throw on a jacket and it doesn't much matter. 

It's funny hearing people complain about electric heat. Growing up that's all we had, in a drafty 100 year old house no less. Didn't really seem to break the bank. Before I moved to Oilberta I'm not sure I had any other form of heat.