I've owned jeeps my whole life (Currently 40yrs). I've had CJ's, XY's, YJ's, TJ's, I own a JK now but have always dreamed of having an MJ. When I was 16yrs old a friend owned one and

I've wanted  one since. My wife passed around two years ago which sped up completing my "bucket list" items. I've dreamed of going to Moab, UT from a very young age, this is my current bucket list item. I found an MJ locally for a reasonable price with a few goodies already included. I hope to build this project over the next year and a half, four wheeling on the way ending up in Moab at some point in 2020. It has the factory dana 30 & 35 axles but I've already purchased a wagoneer dana 44 and ford 8.8 to replace the weaker axles, prob regear to 4.88 with selectable lockers.. Thinking stockish width, 35-37" tires with a long arm suspension in the front and possibly a 231 doubler or rubicon transfercase. I'm leaving the trans and engine stock for reliability.  

IMG_4418.jpg

IMG_4930.jpg

IMG_4958.jpg

It's in fairly good shape. I pulled the carpet, trim and headliner. The floorboard was good enough, I just bought POR15 and their version of seam sealer to fix the pinholes. I also replaced the rear window for a slider unit.

IMG_4961.jpg

IMG_4966.jpg

I've pulled the front and rear bumpers to be replaced with JCR units. I have a set of dirt bound offroad rock sliders in my shop as well as their protection panels for the bed. Excuse the mess, I sold our home and bought another. Still organizing from the move.

IMG_5237.jpg

IMG_5406.jpg

IMG_5534.jpg

I bought it early in 2018 and have drove it 8hrs since buying, hour at a time to see how reliable it is. I was surprised! for an 88 with 180K it runs and drives great!

It did have a leak in the cooling system. I decided to switch to an open cooling system for simplicity and change to the new 97+ front clip at the same time.

IMG_5565.jpg

IMG_5566.jpg

IMG_5777.jpg

IMG_5778.jpg

I'm not sure of the final color yet. Will prob be primed black for awhile.

Got the front clip fitted but I’ll be hooking the bumper to a tree hopefully pulling it another 1/4”. The bottom of the header panel is held 1/4” off the bumper due to the grill guard.

B6F80D9E-21B8-487B-9450-FB199162D2B0.jpeg

033FDD94-F62D-429B-868C-F0A7F6CCAE2A.jpeg

574498ED-419F-47B2-BF16-4076413B776B.jpeg

A2AFDC62-FEB0-4015-BBD0-665EB36275F3.jpeg

Bought a cheap plasma cutter on Amazon and was thrilled with what I've been able to accomplish. I've cut all the mounts off the 8.8 and dana 44. Also cut the fender opening preparing for larger tires as well.

IMG_0022.jpg

IMG_5773.jpg

Great progress so far and I love the motivation behind it. I can't to see what you get done maybe we can plan a trip to moab in 2020

What plasma cutter did you purchase off of amazon if you don’t mind me asking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have looked at that plasma cutter a couple times on Amazon. Good to hear it work that well. That will be my next addition to the garage I believe. Your are of to a great start on a nice rig.

Routed my exhaust out the side to get it up further. It will end up being protected by a skid. I was also able to add the dirt bound protection panels and started fitting their sliders. I hope to have all the armor on by April

D99632E4-1C91-4D90-9072-601F0ADFDA72.jpeg

B45F9F32-ADBF-4602-A3F4-DD4819120782.jpeg

Started having intermittent problems with no starts (turn over but not crank). Noticed it during heavy rain after replacing the radiator and front end. I replaced the ignition module, coil, distributor cap, distributor rotor and CPS. It was the CPS but now I’m having issues with it cranking then shutting off in 2-3sec. Any ideas?

CPS 1.....Me 0

Wow...ended up being the fuel pump ballast. Runs like a top now!!