Bucket List

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

she's lookin' great!   how long before you think she'll be driving?  :comanche:

On 3/14/2019 at 12:50 PM, Fryedaddy said:

Wow...ended up being the fuel pump ballast. Runs like a top now!!

glad it was something cheap. :D   tech Q's from the op should really go in the tech forum so more eyes will see them. :L:  not everyone checks the build threads (it's their loss of course)

Yes it’s rattle can. I think it will be a 20’ paint job? Body is solid but has dents so no worries.

Should be driving within a few weeks. I’ll have all the body protection on but still working on axles. Hope to have it all complete by the end of 2019. 

I’ll be listing parts on the forum soon. 

• 1 month later...

Worked on the dirtbound off-road sliders this weekend. Also pulled the C101 and fuse box connectors. I'm almost ready to drive it again. My final pieces will be installing the axles and decide if I should rebuild the engine, possibly an exo cage at the cab 🤔. Hopefully the axles will be installed by winter. On track for Moab 2020 🤞

CCA4E5F7-9262-4A5D-BA7A-327F47D7CEF6.jpeg

AB8E6E54-6A32-4919-9D3B-AA2274B59D24.jpeg

Two of my previous attempts at Moab when I was younger. I built the Scrambler when I was in my early twenty then moved to Charlotte. Sold it not long after moving. In my early thirties I bought a 77 landcruiser. I was about 70% done on the land cruiser when my son was born so I lost interest and sold it. I regret selling the landcruiser due to all the work I completed. Lost my tail on it!

D7D91D3F-5381-464C-9A68-741E1AF3E0F4.jpeg

02AF9717-35B9-49D0-A867-B751D6B6920E.jpeg

looks fantastic!  :beerchug: 

I'd probably put more shakedown miles on it before heading out of reach of a tow truck.  I remember my first wheeling trip after the big build and didn't find out until I was deep into the silver lake dunes that my e-fan wasn't coming on.  :(  I was able to hard wire the fan to the battery and continue on my day though. :D  

• 3 weeks later...

Had an oil leak that became worse when the temps were around 80-90 degrees. I replaced the valve cover gasket and will be working on the RMS and oil pan as well. A lot of RTV was used previously 😳😳 was tough to remove. The oil pan looks exactly like it. Also replaced the missing oil plug seal. Hopefully this will remedy my leaks. Drops around a basketball sized area of oil on a hot day.

• 4 weeks later...

As I’ve been driving/working on this truck I realize how unmolested it is. The body isn’t perfect but everything is stock or at least replaced with stock parts. It’s the first 80’s or below vehicle that the wiring wasn’t hacked at the radio. Still had factory Radio plug. 

I had to completely rewire The CJ8 in my previous photos dash and all.

there's a huge reason I jumped on my new 88.  the unmolested originality of it all.  First MJ I've had that wasn't hacked in some way by previous owners.  Even my original baby, acquired when it was just 10 years old, already had a hacked up wire harness and cooling system. :( 

On 1/11/2019 at 10:09 AM, Fryedaddy said:

I bought it early in 2018 and have drove it 8hrs since buying, hour at a time to see how reliable it is. I was surprised! for an 88 with 180K it runs and drives great!

It did have a leak in the cooling system. I decided to switch to an open cooling system for simplicity and change to the new 97+ front clip at the same time

What's the advantage of a 97+ front clip?  Better looks?