Jump to content

Cargo light mounting holes- pictures & measurements


Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, WahooSteeler said:

So do the mounting screws thread into the cargo light housing from inside?

That's a good question based off these pictures.  

 

No.  They use a self drilling phillips head screw with a built in cone washer, from the outside.  On this particular truck, they were so rusted there was nothing left for the screwdriver to grab, so I drilled the heads off to get the light.  Then took the pics.

IMG_1363.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, schardein said:

I don't know if anyone has ever posted this info before, but here are some pics with measurements of the mounting holes for the factory cargo light.

IMG_3851.jpg

 

Is that a pic of your 91 cargo light Schardien? I ask because the MJ cargo light (p/n 56000846) is listed in the 86-90 parts manual but not in the 91-93 manual. Did the HOs ever come with the cargo light or is this just an omission in the parts manual?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don, my MJ doesn't have a factory light, and I haven't added one.  This truck in the pictures was in a junkyard in Stafford, Virginia around 2011-2013.  I don't recall the exact year of the truck and not sure if I have notes on it, but I think it was an 88-89-90.  It was a renix, 4.0, 5 speed and I pulled the Dana 44 from it (with 3.07 gears).  I've heard that early MJs are all wired for the cargo light, up until 89 or 90 (not sure which).  I've checked and my truck is not wired for it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, schardein said:

Don, my MJ doesn't have a factory light, and I haven't added one.  This truck in the pictures was in a junkyard in Stafford, Virginia around 2011-2013.  I don't recall the exact year of the truck and not sure if I have notes on it, but I think it was an 88-89-90.  It was a renix, 4.0, 5 speed and I pulled the Dana 44 from it (with 3.07 gears).  I've heard that early MJs are all wired for the cargo light, up until 89 or 90 (not sure which).  I've checked and my truck is not wired for it.

 

Mine is not wired for it either and there's nothing in the 91-93 parts manual for an MJ cargo light either. And Adam's p/n on his instruction sheet doesn't come up in any of the manuals. Weird...

 

Here it is in the 87-90 manual:

image.png.18a2de101fa22884b439866e29898dd3.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, HOrnbrod said:

 

Mine is not wired for it either and there's nothing in the 91-93 parts manual for an MJ cargo light either. And Adam's p/n on his instruction sheet doesn't come up in any of the manuals. Weird...

 

Here it is in the 87-90 manual:

image.png.18a2de101fa22884b439866e29898dd3.png

You have it listed in your earlier post 56000846 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 11 months later...

Does anyone know if the 89 Comanche should have the wiring already in place? I would love to have a cargo light on mine.

If all it takes is to add a fuse , hook up a switch and a wire. Drill a hole and you’re done I’m all for it. I even have a nice LED light I want to use. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, 1989commanche said:

Does anyone know if the 89 Comanche should have the wiring already in place? I would love to have a cargo light on mine.

If all it takes is to add a fuse , hook up a switch and a wire. Drill a hole and you’re done I’m all for it. I even have a nice LED light I want to use. 

Up until ‘90 there is a plug that is behind the drivers side B-pillar. It should be just a single pink wire(as long as no one has touched it). Shouldn’t have to add anything other than the switch and three holes. I just did this and it is worth it if you find a cargo light. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

Up until ‘90 there is a plug that is behind the drivers side B-pillar. It should be just a single pink wire(as long as no one has touched it). Shouldn’t have to add anything other than the switch and three holes. I just did this and it is worth it if you find a cargo light. 

How is it switched? Is it a hot wire or a switched ground like the door lights or is it on the door light circuit?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

Up until ‘90 there is a plug that is behind the drivers side B-pillar. It should be just a single pink wire(as long as no one has touched it). Shouldn’t have to add anything other than the switch and three holes. I just did this and it is worth it if you find a cargo light. 

Ok i just put cargo switch with fog light switch but don't have cargo len yet i might do aftermarket or if i can find MJ cargo light so is that pink wires gose to len as power and black wire from len to anywhere ground?

 

My is 91.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, 1989commanche said:

How is it switched? Is it a hot wire or a switched ground like the door lights or is it on the door light circuit?

It is hot wire switched with a ground wire going from the switch but that is only for the light on the switch itself. Behind the dash bezel should be 3(or 4) plugs where the fog light switch and other switches go, there should be a three prong switch like the fog light plug except it has pink wires. 

5 minutes ago, MJXJjeepguy said:

Ok i just put cargo switch with fog light switch but don't have cargo len yet i might do aftermarket or if i can find MJ cargo light so is that pink wires gose to len as power and black wire from len to anywhere ground?

 

My is 91.

Pink plugs into a prong on the lens itself that sticks out and the ground is the two screws that attach and hold the light on to the roof.  Since you have a ‘91 it very well may not be there. 

 

If you get a factory light, make sure you test it’s grounds first by using a 12v battery to make sure it works. It’s a lot easier to diagnose why it may not be working in the end if all the contacts are cleaned that way it can be narrowed down to the screws or the contact of the roof and screws. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...