Dzimm

Suzuki Sidekick Buggy/Go Kart

17 hours ago, Pete M said:

can you bend tube?

I do not have access to a bender without cost.   I have been doing a bunch of research on cheaper tubing benders that actually work and haven't really found one I am confident in at a decent cost.  I've also been researching the "no bend" cages.  I have come across a few forums on these "no bend" cages and everyone who uses them claim that bending is not as strong as a properly welded and triangulated cage and that most people bend because racing organizations don't want to take the chance on people's welds, and because bending is easier to do.   They even pointed out that a lot of trophy truck frames only have a couple small bends at most. 

I'm currently leaning towards the "no bend" cage because of huge cost savings for me and the fact that I don't really see a situation I would have this thing in where I'd have a really serious rollover.  And if the thin factory roof held up as well as it did in a 60+mph rollover, I don't see why even a "no bend" cage couldn't sustain a low speed rollover.   If I did go this route, I'd prolly make two joints for the "bends" to give it more of a gradual edge.   

Also I've been researching using a stick welder for a cage on some welding forums.  Many welders claim that it will produce a stronger weld but it's difficult to keep a good arc on round tube and ironically also stated racing organizations won't allow it because they don't trust people's ability to arc weld tube.  They unanimously said to use 7018 Excalibur welding rods for the cage to get the best welds. 

Any input is greatly appreciated.  And yes I know money doesn't matter when it comes to safety but money does matter when it comes to this vehicle and the roof is not structural anymore so anything is better than what it has.  

I believe "properly welded" is the key there.  how good are your welding skills with a stick buzzbox?  

I have neither a good welder nor a bender and so I found a local guy that had both for my rollbar.  :L:  I kept my design simple (4 bends, 4 notches) and it was very affordable (I did all the prep work and built the mounts myself).  you'll need a front hoop, a rear hoop and some runners.  in its simplest form that's 4 bends and 6 notches.  add in a couple diagonals and you're way ahead of the game. :D  Just remember that your cage is only as good as the mounting points so give them some thought. :L:  

1 hour ago, Pete M said:

I believe "properly welded" is the key there.  how good are your welding skills with a stick buzzbox?  

I have neither a good welder nor a bender and so I found a local guy that had both for my rollbar.  :L:  I kept my design simple (4 bends, 4 notches) and it was very affordable (I did all the prep work and built the mounts myself).  you'll need a front hoop, a rear hoop and some runners.  in its simplest form that's 4 bends and 6 notches.  add in a couple diagonals and you're way ahead of the game. :D  Just remember that your cage is only as good as the mounting points so give them some thought. :L:  

Yeah I used to be a pretty good welder buy I haven't used anything other than a MIG for 5 years.  I'd definitely practice quite a bit before going for it.  I have actually contemplated buying this Calmini cage and adding from there but being for a 2 door, idk what the difference would be in a 4 door.  I don't plan on using the back doors so that isn't an issue.  The problem is that with shipping, it leaves me no room left in my budget for this thing.  I guess really thinking about it tho, a "no bend" cage requires more tube so would I really save any money? 

https://www.calmini.com/detail.php?b=2&m=5&t=5&p=692&n=

As for mounting points, I will be sandwiching the floor with steel plates and grade 8s for sure. 

Bought a 2'x4'x1/4" sheet of Lexan off eBay to replace the windshield, which should be here around Christmas.  Will soon be driving the Suzuki out to my new house and continue the project since I'm too broke to do the work I want to on the Jeeps. 

Have you worked on the Zuki at all lately?

No it's sitting out on the farm currently.  Need to get it out to the new house so I can work on it.  Have been busy with house and Jeep projects. 

I do have the lexan for the windshield and an old XJ mirror to ziptie to the door to make it "street legal" to drive it the 25ish mile trip.  I'm getting married in September and a tube bender will be on the registry so hopefully I will be building a cage and can chop it this fall!

Tube bender, on your bridal registry.  That is so much a WIN:laugh:

Looking forward to updates.

55 minutes ago, mjeff87 said:

Tube bender, on your bridal registry.  That is so much a WIN:laugh:

Looking forward to updates.

I've got permission to add any tools I want! :banana: Helps we own a house together and have most of the "normal" young couple registry type gifts already.

Amazon has a deal where if something is on your registry and nobody gets it for you, you get a huge discount on it so I will be taking advantage of that for sure!

Updates will come, hopefully sooner rather than later.  Free time is hard to come by right now.

It has been about 6 months since I've seen it and over a year since this thing has even been started.  With the wedding coming up this weekend out at the farm I decided to get it cleaned out to have some fun and put the back seat in to haul people around if need be.  

We went out there yesterday for the game and I went down to see how it's faired sitting there.  Put a battery in and it fired right up!!  The young cousins wanted to go for rides so I took them out for some spirited offroading and they had a blast.  All told it ran hard for about 2 hours just fine and only stalled once when I climbed up on a tall log but it started right back up.

Later this week I will be going out to put the windshield on, change the oil, clean it up, putting some tranny fluid in to maybe fix the slipping in reverse, and install the backseat. 

Pictures will come then and of course fun will be had!