Scavenger hunt! this month: guess the package!

krustyballer16

On 11/15/2017 at 3:11 PM, Pete M said:

I'd say that the problem is 2-fold: the prizes aren't huge-super-awesome like a free jeep (which would likely see people breaking into turkey farms :D ) but mostly the pub doesn't get the eyeballs the way it use to.  

My two-cents as a casual member. I like the idea of a photo contest. The prizes are only an issue because I, personally, don't consider a discount on a luxury item for my truck a prize. The discount really needs to be half-off, minimum. Ideally, free. Now, I say this as a maker and business-owner, so I have a leg to stand on. I'll put my money where my mouth is as well. My current medium is wood. I would be glad to turn some shift knobs out of domestic and exotic hardwoods to be given away as prizes. Steel hitches and hand-turned wooden shift knobs are apples and oranges. I get that, but the point is, even if you don't want/need a wooden knob, you still won something, which is better than winning a chance to buy something. Make sense?

As far as page views go, that's uphill battle my friend. CC cannot compete with FB. I have found Tap-a-talk to be a good tool for keeping up with CC activity. It can be a PITA, but not so much. I had not used it until I joined CC and I've had it for about six weeks. Getting "more eyes" is a simple matter of exposure. How do you get exposure? Sponsorships? That's a tough one if your forum is not a money-maker. Maybe members can offer options for more exposure?

Also, I'm going to post my "Turkey" image this evening. And @krustyballer16, no offense intended by any of my comments. It's only my opinion.

I personally would not participate in a "shift knob" drawing. I have no use for one and don't personally like the look of a wood ball. No offense.

Even if I do win a discount on a hitch or a Krustyballer part I wouldn't take it. I tried to raffle off a $600 bumper, nobody wanted to play. I think this forum is petering out like every other one out there. Social media and the millennial instant gratification is the death to forums everywhere.

6 minutes ago, shelbyluvv said:

I think this forum is petering out like every other one out there. Social media and the millennial instant gratification is the death to forums everywhere.

You just found your problem. If the Moderators have no faith in their work, no one else will.  :confused:

7 minutes ago, NC Tom said:

My two-cents as a casual member. I like the idea of a photo contest. The prizes are only an issue because I, personally, don't consider a discount on a luxury item for my truck a prize. The discount really needs to be half-off, minimum. Ideally, free. Now, I say this as a maker and business-owner, so I have a leg to stand on. I'll put my money where my mouth is as well. My current medium is wood. I would be glad to turn some shift knobs out of domestic and exotic hardwoods to be given away as prizes. Steel hitches and hand-turned wooden shift knobs are apples and oranges. I get that, but the point is, even if you don't want/need a wooden knob, you still won something, which is better than winning a chance to buy something. Make sense?

As far as page views go, that's uphill battle my friend. CC cannot compete with FB. I have found Tap-a-talk to be a good tool for keeping up with CC activity. It can be a PITA, but not so much. I had not used it until I joined CC and I've had it for about six weeks. Getting "more eyes" is a simple matter of exposure. How do you get exposure? Sponsorships? That's a tough one if your forum is not a money-maker. Maybe members can offer options for more exposure?

Also, I'm going to post my "Turkey" image this evening. And @krustyballer16, no offense intended by any of my comments. It's only my opinion.

Here's my perspective as one of the vendors for this challenge. I won't say how many of my radios are out there, but suffice it to say it's a small enough number such that each individual sale is important. The whole idea of giveaways is that it's a tradeoff: you have to get enough goodwill and PR to make the giveaway worth it. On such a small scale, why would I give something away that I could sell for money? There's not enough eyes on this to give away a product I could sell instead. Then there's the potential for the recipient to be someone who doesn't care about a refurbished factory radio, and decide to sell it to someone who would otherwise be my customer. In that case not only have I shot myself in the foot, I've cut my leg off too.

CC is small. The participating businesses are small and produce products with a lot of time and material investment in them. That said, I don't consider CC being small a problem. It's one of its greatest attributes.

3 minutes ago, shelbyluvv said:

Well I have been with this forum for 10+ years so...

It is slowing down, a LOT!

Moderators are not paid so your argument doesn't make sense either.

Really? It makes perfect sense. As a said, if you're NOT making money from this forum, then getting more eyes is going to be VERY difficult. And, if the Mods, no matter how long they have been involved, no longer have the energy or interest or motivation or whatever to do what is needed to make it better, why bother?

14 minutes ago, HOrnbrod said:

Hey Tom;

Next time you screw up an ignition switch install or similar, take your problems over to Farcebook. Lots of luck getting help from the fools over there.  :laugh:

Yeah, I know that's not going to happen. What I don't get is that I did not insult CC at all at any level. I'm glad it's here and I'm glad to be a member. However, offering solutions is apparently a bad idea around here. Sheesh!

24 minutes ago, NC Tom said:

What I don't get is that I did not insult CC at all at any level.

Correct you did not, and no offense was taken. Like Bo said, forums are dying everywhere. I don't think there are any fixes that will be meaningful. We can try to make it more attractive, have raffles, and other bells and whistles, but I doubt it will "attract" any new members. It's still going to be the old-school forum format where folks will find the best information for our old-school Comanches. Nothing wrong with that.

41 minutes ago, Minuit said:

The whole idea of giveaways is that it's a tradeoff: you have to get enough goodwill and PR to make the giveaway worth it.

DING!!! That's what I'm suggesting. The prize-givers need to be okay with the value of a prize item and not mind offering said prize. If it's too much of a loss, then don't do it. 

The trick is in the percieved value of an item. A radio, for example, is too much for a small, niche forum, as you know. However, what do you have in your shop that could be used as a prize? Something relevant, good percieved value, and something you wouldn't mind parting with? I'm using "you" to mean vendors in general.

39 minutes ago, shelbyluvv said:

Good question, not sure why I bother any more.

because helping someone keep their old Jeep going brings on the warm fuzzys  :comanche:  at least that's my big reason.  :D

we're still in the software upgrade phase so I don't expect  miracles to happen anytime soon.  but I do have high hopes for the Epic Tech forum.  a place full of only the most interesting and challenging fab stuff for MJs.  :thumbsup:  we've already got tons of questions and project threads to move over to it and maybe that will catch the eye of some of the hardcore guys that see us as more "fix my truck" than "mod my truck".  we shall see.  

In the meantime, the best way to get more eyeballs to check in the pub is to keep posting interesting stuff each day. :thumbsup:   give people a reason and they will come.  

I’m here like most people to tap into the vast knowledge of all the moderators and fellow Comanche owners. In essence though we literally are a dying breed. The last Jeep Comanche rolled off the assembly line in 1992. I’m sure each year dozens of Comanches( maybe less/more meet the crusher after being picked clean. I’m glad we have this forum. I appreciate the people running the page as well as the vendors offering their services. Keeping things fun like Krusty is trying to do appeals to me. To each their own! Just my $.02.

4 hours ago, HOrnbrod said:

Hey Tom;

Next time you screw up an ignition switch install or similar, take your problems over to Farcebook. Lots of luck getting help from the fools over there.  :laugh:

Epic comment.

Facebook response to such a question: "Try taking it to the dealer.  I took my 2018 Trailhawk to them when I couldn't get the seat to adjust and they were really awesome and after only a couple minutes had it fixed and showed me how to work the buttons.  They only charged me the minimum charge of $127.95, which was great because pennies are always tight and I'm saving up to buy eyelashes for my headlights!"

9 minutes ago, DirtyComanche said:

Epic comment.

Facebook response to such a question: "Try taking it to the dealer.  I took my 2018 Trailhawk to them when I couldn't get the seat to adjust and they were really awesome and after only a couple minutes had it fixed and showed me how to work the buttons.  They only charged me the minimum charge of $127.95, which was great because pennies are always tight and I'm saving up to buy eyelashes for my headlights!"

:laugh:  :applause:

As being one of the newest members here (as i have only been here for a few months compared to some at over a decade), I like the way the forums is set up and its relatively easy to find the information you need especially if you search or post a queston in the right area. 

Everything now is being modernized and it can be hard to keep up. But sometimes there's no need to. I love the friendship found here and the great people part of the forum. Hopefully its around long enough that I can become an old crony member 

Keep up the great work 

IIbBOym.jpg

DesertRat1991 won the picture challenge with his turkey helper!

87warrior won the money guess with $179.45
The amount in my bat was $162.04

Shelvyluvv actually won with a guess of $165 but I've already built him enough stuff and am currently building him a bunch of stuff for his cj.

e5ed8f96b3d58cdd580c4ed6c1416206.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk