Comanche Trailhawk: DD and Mild Wheeler

Put in a few late nights and weekends over the last couple of weeks getting it ready for paint.  Taped off Friday morning and it was drying by Saturday afternoon.  Picked it up a few hours ago.

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=2817.0;a

It came out preetty good.  I'm overall pretty happy with it.  There are a few spots on it that show it was my first time doing any of this but you can't see them from a few feet away :P

I also picked up some tires and rims and had them mounted and balanced on Friday.  WIthin 10 minutes of getting it off the trailer this afternoon I was swapping out the studs on the rear axle for longer ones so I could see how it looked with real tires.

I was beyond happy with how it turned out.  I was practically shaking lol.

Still have a lot of work to do but I'm getting there :)

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys!  I've been slacking on the updates here a little bit.  I've been slowly putting it back together and attacking the interior before and after going to work.

Started with lining everything with the insulation stuff

Had to rebuild the cab vent things since the plastic flappy parts were toast or missing.  Used really thick plastic from a bag some snowmobile stuff came in.

Painted the drip rails, door handles, tail lights, and grill pieces with sem trim black paint.

Recovered my headliner and visors.  Also won an auction for the rear cab trim and panel so I painted the plastic to match and used leftover headliner material to recover the panel.

I have to pull the dash at least part way out one last time to fix a few things I forgot about but after that the interior should be pretty much finished up tomorrow or Sunday.  Still need to come up with a rear driveshaft and finish wiring up the tail lights.  

Probably going to splurge for a jcr one.  I've always liked those but the price tag hurts a bit.  Might end up running my 88 bumper for a few weeks while I save up.  The 01 front one was pretty crusty and put up a pretty good fight on removal.

Very cool.  I will be using this for a reference.  I just pulled mine into the garage and am doing a similar swap.  2.5/AX5/NP231 to 4.0/AX15/NP231.    Not sure how far I'll go body wise but I sure would like it to look as nice as it runs when I'm done.

Got the interior all buttoned up.  Took far longer than anticipated but everything is wired up and works.  Still need to adjust the doors a little bit so they seal up a smidge better and I want to get some speakers behind the seats somehow.

• 3 weeks later...

It's been busy at work and I haven't been feeling well lately so I've really been slacking at keeping this updated..

Managed to get a front bumper when jcr had their bonanza sale the one day a few weeks ago:

I'm not a fan of having logos on my jeeps so I took some time to fill the one in on the bumper.  I think I would have preferred the non tube version but I pass a lot of deer on the way home at night and figured the hoops would help me out if one wants to jump in front.

The weekend after the bumper install I cleaned, painted, trimmed, and installed the flares.  Some of the flares are kind of rough so I'll be keeping my eyes open for a cleaner set to replace them with at some point  Id like to have a spare set before I do any major sanding or grinding on them incase I botch them.

Today I'll be welding up the jcr diy rear bumper

On 11/26/2017 at 4:29 PM, 90BlackMJ said:

Coming together real nice. Lookin good!

On 11/27/2017 at 2:54 PM, jbain said:

Damn!

Thanks!

Bumper build is going a lot slower than I thought.  Had some gas issues with my nozzle and failed to notice it right away.

Slowly going back over it and grinding it down again.  Also got a little too hot in a few places and will have some trouble getting the frame mounts to fit in.  Oh well, still learning as I go.

I also managed to weld in my exhaust and get it squared away.  Went with a dynomax turbo something.

Welded in my temporary axle shock mounts with some shocks I stole from my other jeep.  These will do for a few months while I save up a little and decide on permanent shocks.  Still need to final route my brake lines and vent tube.  Also still have to order a driveshaft.

Soldered in the connectors from the donor xj to the led cubes.  Still need to fab up some mounts for them to sit nice in the bumper.

I've been fighting with the tail light wiring a little bit this week.  I read in several posts about people using a 4 to 3 trailer light wiring converter to go from the 97+ harness to the mj rear harness.  I picked one up and put it together.  Everything works as it should until I use the brakes and turn signal at the same time.  Doing that makes the signals hyper flash.  I have a heavier duty flasher relay coming and I have another converter I can swap in and trouble shoot with.  If those don't fix it then I'll look at wiring into the brake multi switch which I was trying to avoid doing with the converters.

I’m curious how the JCR rear bumper looks like when completed. Are u able to take pictures of the backside and the outside when u are done? 
the website has pics, as many others on the web with a quick search.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I stripped down a spare harness and will shortly be redoing mine. Currently I have a trailer brake setup (po did it) with some resistors inline. 2 times I've had the resistors burn out and lost brake lights. with my lights on, blinker then brake I get hyperflash. the route I plan to do will be to run an extra wire to either the brake or running lights and probly have running ontop and brake lower. that's just an idea from a quick read a while back, and I'll have to figure it out once I get going on it. what's your reason for not wanting to wire into the multi switch?

49 minutes ago, cody4359 said:

the website has pics, as many others on the web with a quick search.

You think I never thought of that?   I didn’t ask to see pictures of the bumper ON the MJ.  Just by itself and there’s no pictures of the backside. In fact. The pictures of the bumper itself on the internet is very sparse and those pictures of the bumper already installed on the MJs are usually crappy and doesn’t show details. 

You think I never thought of that?   I didn’t ask to see pictures of the bumper ON the MJ.  Just by itself and there’s no pictures of the backside. In fact. The pictures of the bumper itself on the internet is very sparse and those pictures of the bumper already installed on the MJs are usually crappy and doesn’t show details. 
well.....dunno why you can't visualize 2 mounting brackets and a hitch plate on the backside but I'll give you a hint since you apparently didn't think of it. go to the website and download the pdf instructions and it's shows ya what it'll look like and even how to assemble lol pretty straight forward, I chose to radius my shackle mounts for a cleaner look and have some dom tubing go thru the unibody for hopefully a little more reinforcement on the mounting

5 hours ago, MeanLemons said:

I’m curious how the JCR rear bumper looks like when completed. Are u able to take pictures of the backside and the outside when u are done? 

I'll take a bunch. Might be a few days til I get back to it though

2 hours ago, cody4359 said:

what's your reason for not wanting to wire into the multi switch?

Main 2 reasons were that I was being lazy about taking that side of the interior back apart after it was all together and the second was that I haven't researched the switch connections all that much so I was having trouble wrapping my head around what needs splices.  I'll have time to address that this weekend hopefully.

Eventually I want to do what you are doing and get a second harness to clean up and thin out in my spare time.