gotta say... this method of cargo transport hadn't occurred to me...

Pete M

• 6 months later...

I tried to find the thread from a while back with sketchy ways of hauling stuff but couldn't find it.

There is a lot of stuff getting moved around at work before our big company move in a couple years so they are tearing an old back room and mezzanine down and throwing all the wood in a rolloff.  That means free sheets of plywood so I snagged some.

I routinely take pallets home from work for projects and to burn in my wood stove so the back of the XJ is full of pallets and the top is loaded with 8 sheets of plywood..  sagging real low in the back end and of course creaking all over but we'll see how it fairs on my now probably hour and half trip home going maybe 30mph.. on basically slicks.. on slick roads..

IMG_20190227_011714.jpg

IMG_20190227_011650.jpg

2 hours ago, Dzimm said:

Made it home fine.  Bottomed out the rear end a couple times and got wobbly at one point but all is well.  I wouldn't recommend doing this with an XJ, just use a truck.

Did you leave the awesome blue MJ safely locked in a garage during all the ice and snow?

5 hours ago, Dzimm said:

Oh yeah it doesn't get to see daylight until the cold and salt are gone.

I am sure you are not happy keeping that fine looking MJ locked up waiting for the corn to germinate.  The truck must be blue about being locked up in a dark jail.  Why don't you sell it to me for what you have in it?  :rolleyes:

Just now, Manche757 said:

I am sure you are not happy keeping that fine looking MJ locked up waiting for the corn to germinate.  The truck must be blue about being locked up in a dark jail.  Why don't you sell it to me for what you have in it?  :rolleyes:

Yeah I actually have realized I made the truck too nice for me and don't want to drive it... I'm actually considering selling it come spring/summer.

So long as it's properly strapped down and you're not exceeding load ratings or height restrictions, I don't see the DOT having a problem with it, although I can certainly see it attracting attention. 

But it begs the question, especially in the first instance, why not just a get a fifth wheel trailer you can tow the boat behind?

9 hours ago, Pete M said:

I imagine that backing up would be... challenging?  :dunno:

Imagine launching a boat from behind your pull behind camper.. :laugh:  prolly end up on a YouTube video of vehicles being pulled from the water at boat ramps.  

People do it all the time. Drive to campsite, unhook boat, park camper, unhook, hook back up to boat to do whatever you're doing with the boat. But yes, the goal is definitely to avoid putting yourself in situations you'd need to reverse the combined unit. 

• 3 months later...