Not so good of a day

DirtyComanche

But could have been way worse.

Driving to work this morning and I rolled my Dodge. I think the brakes locked up or something let go or seized in the rear axle. Just touched the brakes and it suddenly went completely nuts, uncontrollable skid, damp pavement but not anything crazy and I wasn't going that fast. Went in sideways and flipped onto the roof and crushed it down into me pretty hard. I managed to wiggle out the side, remembered to get my keys too.

And now I'm waiting for stitches for my arm. Hopefully they get to me soon.... Been waiting an hour so far.

So anyways, guess I have to actually get my MJ together because I need a truck.

Had the same thing happen to me in my mj but didn't end up rolling the truck, there was slack in the gears in the rear end or something was broke. When the trans down shifted as I started slowing down with a stop light in sight the rear end clocked up and sent me in to a spinning skid (was also wet(and so were my pants after that skid)). I had no Idea what happened till I got the truck home and It wouldn't move. The I pulled off the diff cover and it all made sense. There was a piece of a spider gear wedged between the ring and pinon. Everything was locked up. Sorry to hear the bad news, glad to hear you are ok though.

Thanks guys. Still waiting to get stitched up. One of my friends wants the engine to trans adapter off the truck, so I'm going to try to get it towed to his place when I get out of here. We might be able to figure out what happened then. Ya never know, I could just be a terrible driver.

Watch out for any signs of a concussion and take it easy on yourself for a couple weeks. My neighbour walked away from rolling his car on a straight section of road this summer, also just with a few stitches. Not looking forward to the next person I know who flips one. Glad to hear you're alright, though!

Watch out for any signs of a concussion and take it easy on yourself for a couple weeks. My neighbour walked away from rolling his car on a straight section of road this summer, also just with a few stitches. Not looking forward to the next person I know who flips one. Glad to hear you're alright, though!

Yeah, I'm hoping my head is okay, I didn't really hit it on anything that I know of.  My neck is sore now, along with a bit of my torso, but otherwise I'm feeling fairly decent.  Just drained though, it was a long fawking day.  I managed to get the truck towed to my buddy's, unfortunately the towing company would not touch it without a flag team to direct traffic.  The traffic control team charged $360 for the two of them to put some signs out, then wave at each other, they didn't even have radios...  The tow was free though, so whatever.

Hopefully the stitches are all still good, haven't pulled the gauze yet to look.  Of course they tell you to take it easy and I don't even thinking about it and use the stitched up arm to yank the ebrake on my JK, and to try to turn the wheel on the dead truck so it would track straight. :doh:

I have to go to Edmonton tomorrow, which is bad timing, but hopefully I survive.

Anyways, wear your seatbelts, I'd be dead if I hadn't.

Good advice that. I'm definitely an offender, especially when just running errands around town. This will change now. Were you fairly close to home when this happened Dirty? I think the statistic is that 75% of all fatal accidents happen within 25 miles of home.

Good advice that. I'm definitely an offender, especially when just running errands around town. This will change now. Were you fairly close to home when this happened Dirty? I think the statistic is that 75% of all fatal accidents happen within 25 miles of home.

Like 5 minutes down the road.  I think I left at 7:20am and the text I sent to my shop supervisor to say I wouldn't make it was at 7:28am.

You get complacent on roads you know well and drive every day.

Good to hear you were able to walk away with some stitches. Be careful on that drive tomorrow. You're probably going to have a lot more soreness and stiffness to deal with. I'm at the point the belt goes on before I back out of the garage.

I'm just riding as a passenger, which is good.  I already told my friend that we're going to have to stop at every pullout/lookout/rest stop/gas station so I can stretch. :crossfingers:

I'm also an alumni member of "seat belts save lives" program....rolled a TJ down a side hill, went over 5 or six times, we both walked away.

Nowadays, I wear my seat belt and ride with a helmet, because I have people who love me...this means a lot.

So glad you had your seatbelt on.

Had an uncle killed, just running errands in downtown Los Angeles, many, many years ago (1968).  Not using seat belt, ejected from truck, fractured skull when head hit the blacktop.  Cops estimate speed at 25 mph.  So, use the darn seatbelts!!! 

Dirty, glad you are reasonably OK.  The truck is just metal that can be replaced.  Really good word on the seat belts.  Hope others listen to this and use the belts.

JJ

So glad you had your seatbelt on.

:thumbsup:

Dirty, glad you are reasonably OK.  The truck is just metal that can be replaced.  Really good word on the seat belts.  Hope others listen to this and use the belts.

JJ

Yup, it's just mangled metal now.  It didn't owe me anything anyways.

Thanks for all the kind words guys.  I survived the weekend road trip too, actually had a really good time and was just as happy to be out doing stuff.

Thanks guys. Still waiting to get stitched up. One of my friends wants the engine to trans adapter off the truck, so I'm going to try to get it towed to his place when I get out of here. We might be able to figure out what happened then. Ya never know, I could just be a terrible driver.

Damn vultures strike while the body is still warm. lol

Glad you're alright though.

1989 Jeep Comanche 4.0L 5 Speed 4x4 LWB

1991 Jeep Comanche 2.5L 5 Speed 2WD SWB

Turned out it was failed ubolts. On one side they had stretched out at some point, and began working in the spring plate. Due to the nuts being rust seized I didn't catch it the last time I retorqued them, or it started since then. Anyways, the ubolts wore down until one or more of them failed, which allowed the factory spacer block to come loose and the rear axle to steer me around. They had a very clear wear taper on them that was corroded, and then a clean break where the remaining material (not much at all, 5/16" maybe) failed. Not really something that you can drive out of at highway speed.

The Dodge setup with a large lift block from the factory didn't help.