oil

madog7200

Castrol syntec 10w-30. Change it spring and fall.

Usually between 6,000 and 14,000 miles between oil changes.

I use Wix 51515 filter or Napa Gold 1515 which is also a wix.

My 4.0 HO's have between 200k and 441k on original engines.

They probably leak more than they burn.

Usially add a quart around 3,500 miles.

The 91 seems to like Rotella T6 5W-40 the most out of anything I've put in it with a Wix filter. The 89 gets the cheapest oil I can find with a Purolator filter, but from the sound it makes you'd assume I put sand in instead of oil.

As an FYI about diesel oils, the reason we use them is because they still have high ZDDP (zinc) content which was standard for gasoline oils when our engines were built, but has slowly but significantly been reduced in most gasoline oils. The reason it was phased out is because the small amount that gets into your exhaust will coat the catalytic converter causing premature failure. If that's a problem for you, using regular gasoline oils won't be a huge problem, although you might get 300,000 miles out of your engine instead of 500,000.

I personally just go to the local fast food joint and siphon a bit out of the used veg oil container in the back. It's cheap, much more environmentally friendly than either conventional or synthetic oils and makes my truck smell like french fries instead of dead things.  :chillin:

I personally just go to the local fast food joint and siphon a bit out of the used veg oil container in the back. It's cheap, much more environmentally friendly than either conventional or synthetic oils and makes my truck smell like french fries instead of dead things.  :chillin:

You're joking, right? lol

Yeah I'm joking. I've always been curious to try it though, just to see what would happen.

Also I'm told Lada's engineers didn't actually intend for the oil to also lubricate the exhaust. There are even those who think the oil that ends up there is undesirable... imagine that?

For those curious minds, both the Niva and MJ (and probably my XJ too once it gets back on the road) get Rotella 15w40 in the summer and 5w40 in the winter. They conveniently also both will accept the same oil filters, so I've been buying in bulk. Usually it means one change in spring and fall, although I might just go to 5w40 now in the MJ... it's overdue for a change, despite the fact that I've changed it twice in the last month. Something about driving to California and back...

I thought used veggie oil was the factory recommended lubrication for every component on a Lada?  :dunno:

As an FYI about diesel oils, the reason we use them is because they still have high ZDDP (zinc) content which was standard for gasoline oils when our engines were built, but has slowly but significantly been reduced in most gasoline oils. The reason it was phased out is because the small amount that gets into your exhaust will coat the catalytic converter causing premature failure. If that's a problem for you, using regular gasoline oils won't be a huge problem, although you might get 300,000 miles out of your engine instead of 500,000.

(not intended as a response to you gogmorgo, I'm sure you know all of this, but just an addendum for people who haven't heard this stuff before)

This is true, but keep in mind that the ZDDP content of Rotella T6 is almost exactly the ZDDP content of a circa 1991 gas engine oil, so just based on oil choice, you can expect similar to original cat life. It's not like Rotella will wreck your cat in 5000 miles. Unless your engine is burning lots of oil, but if it does I would recommend against $50 or more an oil change Rotella. Another reason we see less ZDDP in oils today is that modern engines have less use for it. Our 1960s-designed 4.0s have flat cam followers - which are proven to have longer life with high ZDDP oils. It's a tradeoff that more modern engines don't really have to make - longer catalyst life vs. longer camshaft life.

Lifter tick? What lifter tick?

All of my 4.0's have ticket a bit, probably because of reduced ZDDP oils, but I can't confirm that.

But apparently running veg oil in your engine is a thing. According to this, Canola oil has about the same weight as 10W30, although I'm not convinced it comes in multi-viscosity straight out of the seed.

Neither of mine tick regularly, but in typical 4.0 fashion there's plenty of other noises to go 'round. The '91 has persistent timing chain noise that hasn't gone away despite a new (aftermarket) timing chain. If I feel like messing with it again I'm going to put a Mopar silent chain in there since that engine is in otherwise great shape. The '89 has a metallic sounding CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP sound and a pretty horrible exhaust leak, not to mention near 0 oil pressure at hot idle. It also feels massively down on power, especially on the highway, compared to the '91.

Since we're talking about oil, the '91 definitely seems happier on Rotella than the 10W-30 I was putting in it.

The three I own have 165, 220, and 310,000 miles on them ('93, '92, and '91 respectively). Might have something to do with it? The one with 310 is sitting on the garage floor because it makes an incredibly loud CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP sound, spontaneously generates glitter in the crankcase, and also had zero oil pressure. Which has a lot to do with it sitting on the garage floor. It's either main bearings or crank walk... when I grab the flex plate and pull it has noticeable movement. Too slight to really tell what direction it's in, but still, no bueno.

10w-30 Mobil 1 High Mileage synthetic.

Why?

When I bought and rebuilt my first 4.0 in 2003 I did some research. I understood that the ZDDP has all but disappeared from motor oils but the European ACEA specification nearly matches the anti wear properties of ZDDP. Mobil 1 High Mileage meets ACEA A3 which is closest to the ZDDP content of years past. 110k miles later this 4.0 is still the quietest and smoothest 4.0 I've been around.

I'm glad to hear that 87warrior, ive always ran mobile 1 high milage in all my other vehicles, i just want sure about how the comanche would like it!...

The fact that some of you guys run diesel oil in your trucks is very shocking shocking to me!