New guy here, with a new to me Comanche!

Hey everybody, I'm Steve. I just bought a Comanche Sunday. I'm in Pittsburgh, PA but the truck is from Georgia. 1986 2WD 2.5L 5-speed with 167,xxx miles. Over the next few months, I'll be completely rebuilding this truck into a complete monster.

I have a good bit of fabrication experience, and unibody experience. The last big project I headed up was a ZJ buggy for a friend. Some of you may have seen it around on mallcrawlin.com and other forums.

Plans:

TNT long arms, 7" of lift

35" - 37" tires

Front 44

Rear 44 or 9"

Rubicon Roc-Trac transfer case

NV4500 tranny

4.0L engine swap

Cutting 16" out of the bed

96+ front clip, and interior with TJ seats

Custom fab. bumpers, rockers, cage, tailgate

...obviously tons more!

Here are the pix...this baby is virtually rust free! One hell of a find for $300!!! Stay tuned for updates...hopefully this will be a fast paced build!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the Comanche club Steve.

:cheers:

I'm pretty new here myself.

This place is great if you need advice, or have questions. I've found a ton of usefull information, and other members are always happy to offer advice/opinions too.

I've got a different build in mind for my MJ, I basically just want to restore it to a semi-stock daily driver.

I Personally am a Jeep Junkie, I would have bought a new Pickup truck, if jeep made one, but since they don't, and I want a Truck, I'm forced to restore this old MJ,,,

So Far I must say it's an awesome truck. I am shocked at how simple it is to work on.

I'm also please that the junkyards have plenty of XJ's to scarf parts from. :brows:

Anyhow, Welcome, again, and keep us updated on your progress!

gotta love GA trucks... not a spec of rust on mine jamminz.gif

welcome to the club, you'll find quite a few who've done the bed-hack, and some nice lookin 97+ front clips. sounds like its gonna be a bad rig soon... i don't think anyone in the club is runnin the TNT longarms yet though, you might be the first

oh yeah, beers in the fridge :cheers:

Thanks guys! Hopefully this MJ will find a permanent home in a garage a few friends and I have been searching for. As of now, it's just sitting in a friends driveway and just getting a few things here and there. I don't want to pull the drivetrain until it's somewhere it will be staying until completion.

As for the TNT suspension...I'm really impressed with their stuff. But, at the same time, I'm more impressed with the Clayton long arms. I can get a better deal on a Clayton setup, so I have changed my mind and I'll be going with his front kit.

I do have an important question though. I joined up on jeepin.com forum, and first...let me say, there are some crabby people over there. I'm on quite a few forums, but they top all when it comes to jerkoffs (not to offend anyone here.) Anyways, I mentioned "4.0L swap" and all I got was a bunch of crap about how it won't fit in an '86. I have a friend with an '01 XJ, and his engine bay looks just about identical to mine. So, will the 4.0L fit, or not?

I should have quite a few parts in fairly good shape up for sale here pretty soon. So far, I've got a

stock bench seat

the doors

eventually the dash

a bed liner

the hood

front fenders and grill assembly

both rear plate lights out of the bumper

plate light wiring, intact with factory bullet connectors

drivers side tail light, with harness

passenger side tail light housing w/ no lens, with harness

both rear bumper brackets including all hardware for frame and bumper

2.5L I4 w/ 167,xxx miles

5-speed tranny (not sure which yet)

2wd front "axle"

rear driveshaft, or telephone pole...

4 alloy wheels

If anyone needs any of it, PM me. I'll be making an official for sale post at a later date.

I do have an important question though. I joined up on jeepin.com forum, and first...let me say, there are some crabby people over there. I'm on quite a few forums, but they top all when it comes to jerkoffs (not to offend anyone here.) Anyways, I mentioned "4.0L swap" and all I got was a bunch of crap about how it won't fit in an '86. I have a friend with an '01 XJ, and his engine bay looks just about identical to mine. So, will the 4.0L fit, or not?

Don't join NAXJA than if you think Jeepin's bad...

However they are correct. The 4.0L will not fit into the '86 engine's bay. Well ok let me rephrase that... The 4.0L will not fit into the '86's engine bay without some cutting of the firewall. In my '86 I opted for the 3.4L conversion and the swap was pritty straight forward.

On that note, the engine bay was changed in '87 and a 4.0L will drop in without problems, as I've done that swap in my '87 as well...

Thanks for the info. Do you know of any threads that go into detail about the firewall trim? If it's a significant amount of cutting that might compromise the strength of the uni-body front half, I'd probably opt out. The only reason I'm asking is because I've got a 4.0L for next to nothing, that I planned on stroking out to 4.7L.

There is a select part of 1986 I've heard that they got ready for the 4.0L and it will fit directly if the mounts are changed. Is this true at all?

If anyone knows about this...let me know. If it's true...let me know what I'd need to provide to figure out if my MJ is one of them.

I have a good bit of fabrication experience, and unibody experience. The last big project I headed up was a ZJ buggy for a friend. Some of you may have seen it around on mallcrawlin.com and other forums.
My guess is Matt's ZJuggy that he broke again...

Anyways, welcome to Comanche Club!

My guess is Matt's ZJuggy that he broke again...

Anyways, welcome to Comanche Club!

Yeah, I was in on it. He seems to break the same spot over and over...Shear load from the first uca bolt snap absolutely weakened that upper mount. Anyways, I stopped by and welded it back together so he could get it off his trailer. The trailer I used to bring home my MJ...

I've not come across any more useful info on the 4.0L engine fitment issue. Anyone have anything? Anything at all???

they massaged the firewall out a little bit to clear the back of the 4-0 head.

just eyeball the firewall real good, I'm not exactly sure what they changed back there

• 6 months later...

Alright, I'm bringin it back from the dead! I've made a good bit of progress since I joined up here/posted this thread. I've been leasing a 2000+ sq. ft. shop to work on this pig, and damn is it nice to have room to move, and not clutter up the garage at home!

I've only really been working on it for the past month or so, but it has come a long way, and I've made lots of changes to my plans. I also have to say, the whole '86 firewall thing is blown WAY outta proportion. I massaged my firewall approx 3/4" and the 4.0L dropped right in. It's not even a clearance issue involving the head, it is the last tab coming off the back of the exhaust manifold that does the contacting. Anyways, don't be so discouraged about the '86!

I bought an extremely mildly hit '99 XJ sport, 4.0L, 4x4, aw4, power everything, for $500. It was stripped of anything and everything I thought I would need or be able to sell, and it's now all in the MJ.

What's been done so far:

'86 MJ stripped

'99 XJ stripped

'86 MJ engine bay cleaned and painted black

Transferred complete '99 wiring harness, PCM, and all accessories to keep everything working in the '99 style (keyless entry, power everything, even the multi speed wipers, etc.)

'99 Dash conversion

4.0L swap (motor hot washed, painted CAT yellow w/ black accessories, header coated, and all accessories cleaned and re-installed)

As far as changes go, I've decided to make my own front long arms, I'm sticking w/ the AW-4 for now (affordable,) keeping the NV231 transfer case.

Here's a couple pix, I never take a lot...I'd rather be getting stuff done!

Looks good. Did you have to do any changing of the motor mounts to get the 4.0 to bolt in?

This is something I was concerned with up front. After removing the 2.5L, and looking at where the mount locations on the block are, they are very far forward. The 4.0L mounts are in the same exact spot, just more "balanced towards center on the block. I pulled the mounts and plates from the XJ, just to be sure, and have something that was in much better condition.

So to answer your question in the simplest of terms, 2.5L and 4.0L use the same mounting locations, just pull the brackets and mounts from your 4.0L donor vehicle.

This is something I was concerned with up front. After removing the 2.5L, and looking at where the mount locations on the block are, they are very far forward. The 4.0L mounts are in the same exact spot, just more "balanced towards center on the block. I pulled the mounts and plates from the XJ, just to be sure, and have something that was in much better condition.

So to answer your question in the simplest of terms, 2.5L and 4.0L use the same mounting locations, just pull the brackets and mounts from your 4.0L donor vehicle.

Thanks for all the info and pictures - I've got an 86 too and have been planning all along to swap in a 3.4L crate thinking that the 4.0 won't fit. Now I've got to re-think all these plans... but I'm not complaining.

Props to you. jamminz.gif