New guy here, with a new to me Comanche!

Changed out the front inner corners to accept a 4.0L radiator and crossmember today. I skipped swaping the front frame crossmember, because I plan on doing the hidden winch, which will sit behind the bumper. The new crossmember will be 4" x 6" x 5/16" angle iron, and the radiator can sit right on top of that.

Also dropped the motor in w/ the AW-4 attached, slid the mount bolts right in, and got all the rest of the wiring clicked in!

A few better than Motorola Q quality pictures:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Changed out the front inner corners to accept a 4.0L radiator and crossmember today. I skipped swaping the front frame crossmember, because I plan on doing the hidden winch, which will sit behind the bumper. The new crossmember will be 4" x 6" x 5/16" angle iron, and the radiator can sit right on top of that.

Also dropped the motor in w/ the AW-4 attached, slid the mount bolts right in, and got all the rest of the wiring clicked in!

A few better than Motorola Q quality pictures:

• 1 month later...

I've been slackin on the project a little. Spent some time playing with the full-hydro tube bender making a new front end for my buddy's previously rolled '87 YJ, which is now a YJ/CJ thing we call The Punisher.

Anyways, I made a little progress. Decided to just swap the '99 front crossmember on so I had something to get the radiator sitting on, since '86 never came w/ a 4.0L style cooling system. Got everything bolted in, including the radiator and supports, all hoses, airbox, etc. The engine bay is now 100% complete, and it does run after the swap.

I'm starting the custom long arms and crossmember this week, along with getting the rear sprung over 8.25 finished up. I need it to be mobile by April 18th, as the shop will be moving to a new, bigger home. A 2000 sq. ft. garage with 16' ceilings, and a 3 bedroom house above.[/img]

JD arms, and everything else is pretty much build from parts. At this point in time, I'm just borrowing it, but there is another in production that will some day belong to my friend and I.

I've got a lot of toob to do on the MJ. Cage through the 97+ dash, and cab corners forming an "x" in the bed for a tire mount, etc. I've got my front bumper all planned out, just need to get a 97+ header and grille on so I can get a final measurement. 2x4 rocker replacement with some toob sliders also.

this is a sweet project, r u going to activate the airbag?

Thanks. Hopefully some more exciting progress will happen soon.

As far as the airbags, I haven't decided yet. The airbag control module is located under the center console. It can easily be unplugged to keep the bags inactive. I have also thought about removing them, along with the module and placing them up for sale. Airbags bring good money, but they also bring lots of on-road safety.

None. There is a single deceleration module that controls both airbags. It is the box I was talking about in my post above. It's nothing more than a 5" x 5" x 1" aluminum box with guts that sense extreme deceleration, thus deploying the airbags in an accident. It's the only thing that needs to be un-installed to keep them from being inactive.

As stated above...it's under the center console in a +97 XJ, which is where my whole interior including the dash, console, steering column/wheel, and seating came from, along with the engine, transmission, and transfercase.

• 2 months later...

Been a while since updates. Got lots of parts together, and build the front suspension in the past 3 days. My home-brew kit is very similar to that of the Clayton's kit. The skid, which I will make this weekend will mount very similar to that of the TNT kit. Figured out all of my measurements, cut everything to length, tacked together, and did a full mock up. Then, disassembled, and burned everything together.

Parts include:

2" x 2" x 1/4" wall HREW LCA's

1 1/4" x 12TPI tube adapters for frame end joints (custom machined)

2 5/8" x 2 5/8" DOM sleeved poly bushings at axle end (Polyperformance)

2 5/8" Forged Currie Johnny Joints with 1 1/4" x 12TPI stud

LCA's are 38" eye to eye (moves front axle forward approx 1" from stock

1 1/2" x 1 1/2" x 3/16" wall HREW UCA's

3/4" x 16TPI tube adapters for LCA end joints (Ballistic Fabrication)

1/4" plate open ends at axle

2" Forged Currie Johnny Joints with 3/4" x 16TPI stud

UCA's are 15" eye to eye

All brackets and tabs were plasma cut by me.

Pix say it all:

[/img]

Thanks guys! Yes, I will be fixing the floor. I figure, I'll take care of it when I do the 2x4 rocker replacement on the cab. I'll have the pieces of 2x2 tying the rail to the uni-rail and they will be partially within the floor pan, so I'll have to piece it together once its fabbed up.

• 2 weeks later...